Jeriah Horne pf 6-6 2016 to Nebraska to Tulsa to Colorado then back to Tulsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    Good player, fits better with Nebraska style. Instant playing time appears highly probable. Realize a lot of these offers were made before we got Peyton Allen.
    Agreed. I think the kid will be a good player for them. I just don't think he was probably the best use of a scholarship for us considering what we appear to have coming back next season.
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Good luck to Horne. He appears to take basketball at least somewhat seriously, because otherwise he'd have gone to Pepperdine in a flash, as would any regular student who's visited that campus and gets a full scholarship offer.

But if he's a 6-6 PF and the Shockers have Kelly and Hamilton scheduled to return, one with two years left and the other with at least three, plus any juco or transfer big who might come on board yet in this next recruiting class, he'd likely face a considerable challenge getting minutes here rather than in Lincoln, and meanwhile he'd have to work his tail completely off as he bides his time.

I'm not concerned about negative recruiting in regard to Marshall leaving -- or about Marshall actually leaving, for that matter -- nor am I concerned about players knowing what they face at WSU. But I don't doubt that WSU's reputation for being demanding reduces their chances with some guys; and I also don't doubt that the load WSU already can expect to return in 2016-17 has an influence as well. No way to know if any of that had an impact on Horne unless he says so, of course; but I'm never surprised these days when guys who are talented but a bit undersized for their position look elsewhere.

Personally, I'm hoping for a commitment from KJ Santos and signings by him and Keyser in November, and then I'll let the chips fall where they may until next spring and even beyond. If the Shocks add someone else I won't complain, of course, because I figure Marshall and his staff know better what they're doing than I do. But unless there's a currently unexpected departure, I also won't worry if they don't.

Comment

It's gonna be tough for any recruit to find immediate playing time here at this pont. We lose a lot but we're stacked in the freshman and sophomore classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          It's gonna be tough for any recruit to find immediate playing time here at this pont. We lose a lot but we're stacked in the freshman and sophomore classes.
          And yet, there are 5 seniors graduating this year.
          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
            And yet, there are 5 seniors graduating this year.
            While true.. It's also important to remember that 2 of those departing scholarships are already "spoken for" by 3/4 star transfers that will be practicing/playing all year with the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
              While true.. It's also important to remember that 2 of those departing scholarships are already "spoken for" by 3/4 star transfers that will be practicing/playing all year with the team.
              While I have a tendency to believe that to be the case, I don't think there are any guarantees, at least in one of their cases.

Comment

Well, Stickboy, I don't know that Frankamp is exactly a replacement for FVV if that's what you're thinking, but he's certainly likely to be helpful in his own way.

And don't forget this year's crop of freshmen, either -- or in the case of Zach Brown moving in for Wessel, one of this year's sophs, along with (judging from Marshall's enthusiasm about him) Kelly as a partial future replacement of Grady at PF in addition to being a continuation of his own role. Anyway, getting back to the freshmen, Marshall seems to be pretty high on Shamet as a possible second coming of Baker; and although FVV is probably the hardest to replace in terms of the uniqueness of his talent, we've heard from a poster who watched him quite a bit that Tyrone Taylor is really a PG who slipped a bit under the radar by playing SG his final year pre-WSU.

So there's definitely reason to believe that losing five seniors won't exactly be crippling -- and of course we all saw how WSU responded to that same type of loss in 2012-13.

Comment

I feel our conference is our biggest draw back in recruiting. Come play against Drake and Missouri State doesn't have the appeal of playing Michigan state and Ohio state.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                    I feel our conference is our biggest draw back in recruiting. Come play against Drake and Missouri State doesn't have the appeal of playing Michigan state and Ohio state.
                    I'm not sure how to separate the two, if they are indeed separate, but is it the competition they actually play or is the national exposure (TV and NCAA tournament) they get that is really important to these kids. And of course, the progression to the league. I think if you have the two latter characteristics, the first one becomes immaterial. But I'm not certain you can really have those two without the first. How is that for circling the wagon?
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                      I'd be more inclined to buy that, hook, if Gonzaga hadn't been successfully overcoming the same thing in recent years. Do you seriously think that "Come play Portland, or USF, or Santa Clara, and do it late at night around the country so no one except insomniac sports junkies and people out west will see it" has that much more cachet than an invitation to play a Valley schedule does? Yet the Zags recruit, or get transfers from, name players on a regular basis.

At some point, when you're in a second tier league, you just have to transcend the conference if you want to be nationally relevant. And that's what WSU is starting to do.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                        I'd be more inclined to buy that, hook, if Gonzaga hadn't been successfully overcoming the same thing in recent years. Do you seriously think that "Come play Portland, or USF, or Santa Clara, and do it late at night around the country so no one except insomniac sports junkies and people out west will see it" has that much more cachet than an invitation to play a Valley schedule does? Yet the Zags recruit, or get transfers from, name players on a regular basis.

At some point, when you're in a second tier league, you just have to transcend the conference if you want to be nationally relevant. And that's what WSU is starting to do.
                        This is all true, but Gonzaga is also a very good academic school in the Pacific Northwest. I think geography plays a big role in their ability to recruit. Additionally, they've been elite since 1999. From a recruiting perspective WSU can get overcome the moderate academics, location, and conference affiliation if we stay in the top 10 for a couple more years.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

We have to find the kids that value winning at the highes levels (rings), getting the best coaching and teamwork. That's what they'll get at Wichita State. If they want other things, like playing against better teams, going to football games, etc., we'll never win those battles.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            We have to find the kids that value winning at the highes levels (rings), getting the best coaching and teamwork. That's what they'll get at Wichita State. If they want other things, like playing against better teams, going to football games, etc., we'll never win those battles.
                            I know which group of kids I want here.

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but any recruit who doesn't come to Wichita State just doesn't have any character and isn't willing to work hard. :rolls eyes:
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                                I don't know about you guys, but any recruit who doesn't come to Wichita State just doesn't have any character and isn't willing to work hard. :rolls eyes:
                                I know, right!?

Comment

Working...
                                X