X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are also mentioned in the article with Alex Rivas-Sanchez of Pratt CC
    Livin the dream

Comment

Went to the Hutch game tonight. Here is my report.

They beat Colby 100-56. It felt like an exhibition game. Colby can't shoot and they play a very porous 2-3 zone defense. Hutch had no problem finding open shots. They didn't have to take it inside much. So take that all into account when reading my player evaluations below.
      Boxscore

Abdul Hererra (7 pts, 4 blks, 4 rebs, 14 min) - Big body. Decent mobility. Good hands and an average rebounder. Below average passer. Looked adequate playing defense. He plays like a shot-blocker. Good sense of timing. Alters a lot of shots and blocks quite a few. I think he had 4 tonight and one of those he ran from inside the lane to get his hand on a 15-ft jumper. Can display bursts of above-average quickness for his size. Displayed a couple of nice post moves. Takes it strong to the rim. Unorthodox free throw form and I think was only 1 of 4 tonight. Overall, I would not be opposed to bringing him in for two years. He would probably start at center right away and possibly for the first year. But I could see Stutz passing him up if he (Garrett) develops nicely. At a bare minimum, Hererra would add quality depth at center.

Ken Bowman (13 pts in 22 min) - Reminded me a lot of Anthony Tolliver (Creighton). Similar size. Similar skills. Bowman may be a little more mobile (he's pretty athletic for 6'9"). From what I saw I would not say he's a better player than Tolliver.

Bobby Maze (13 pts, 9 assists, 5 rebs) - Definitely a pass-first or penetration type of point guard. Not a good shooter. Also struggled at the FT line. But he's fast and athletic. Decent defender.

Lamar Falley (21 pts, 3 assists, shown dunking below in tonight's game) - A nice looking 6'4" sophomore SG. Was really stroking it from deep tonight. Doesn't elevate much but his shot looks smooth and effortless. Pretty athletic, too.

Antonio "peanut" Weary - I was looking forward to seeing this 6'2" sky-walker. He was in foul trouble all night so I didn't see much. He's actually kind of stocky which makes his jumping ability all that more unexpected. I figure he'll be a star at a D-2 school where he can continue to play a forward position.

Blake Bales (16 pts in 13.5 min) - He's a 6'1" FR from Overland Park and the first guard off the bench. Played mostly shooting guard but has the quickness and handles to play point (a very solid backup, IMO). He had four wide-open looks from 3 and hit 2 of them (it seemed like more than that, though). I was impressed.

Henry Rogers (14 pts, 8 rebs) - 6'7" Soph. starting PF. Played at Hutch High. A solid juco player but I didn't really see much upside. I could see his ceiling being a reserve forward at a - please excuse the term - mid-major.

Comment

Thanks, Royal. Sounds like Hutch has a lotta players and Colby still sucks

Comment

Hererra sounds like an okay, but just okay. Maybe someone to fall back on if we don't recruit a better player. It's possible that he could 'blossom' with more playing time and experience, but that is an unknown at this time.

I would say that we could recruit better, but it depends on who is available come April 9th.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
            Hererra sounds like an okay, but just okay. Maybe someone to fall back on if we don't recruit a better player. It's possible that he could 'blossom' with more playing time and experience, but that is an unknown at this time.

I would say that we could recruit better, but it depends on who is available come April 9th.
            I do think Herrera is a player that has a little more upside if he can get consistent PT. At his size, I'm not sure you're going to find very many juco players better. There just aren't that many 6'11" big-bodied shot-blockers that are at least servicable in other areas of their game. When I watched him, I kept seeing similarities with Sasha Mijilovic, the 7-footer from HCC that signed here but never arrived. Herrera isn't quite as skilled, but he is more mobile than Mijilovic.

If he were to come to WSU he would give us the luxury of not throwing Stutz or Orukpe to the wolves next year. It's one of those tricky situations where if we had a servicable center that wasn't going to be a freshman next year, I'd pass on Herrera. But as it is, I think we could use him.

Comment

7 pts, 4 blks, 4 rebs, 14 min

thats not a bad stat line by any means

Comment

Why only 14 minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by benishock
                  Why only 14 minutes?
                  He plays behind a pre-season juco All-American center.

Comment

not to mention they were blowing out Colby and alot of deep subs got PT! Colby was terrible! In my opinion he needs to drop or turn into muscle 15 lbs. or so, but moves ok with his current stature! He would be a big help on this years current team and I think we could do worse for next year. With EO and GS he would make a nice fit! Lamar has a very nice stroke, but lacks defensive attributes; that being said we could use a pure shooter from 3! Royal were you wearing a WSU jacket from Steve and Barry's because I saw a couple of WSU jackets in the stands last night?

Comment

Why, yes I was. My dad and I both have the same jacket (I couldn't resist the $9 closeout sale!). We were sitting in the lower GA (yellow) seats.

I saw someone leave early that had a red Hutch shirt and a black WuShock hat. Was that you?

As for Colby, I read in today's paper that they are a depleted team, missing three players that accounted for 50 points per game. No wonder they were so awful.

And you are right that Herrera could stand to lose or convert those 15 lbs to become more "Miller-esque" in physique.

Oh, and don't you just love the pep band drummer with the floppy mohawk? I saw him play for the jazz band last spring. He's a dang good drummer.

Comment

That drummer is pretty cool he has a ton of energy. We sat in the bleacher right next to the pep band and cheerleaders (nice view). I was not wearing any shocker gear though. I did notice you and your dad because my dad and I could not pass up the deal either and thought how ironic! I left right behind you though, I had my daughter (shocker hoodie-starting her young) and our "little brother", through BBBS of reno county- who has the same jacket as all of us because I thought I may as well spread the shocker love to another youth!

Comment

I agree his stats are not bad for 14 minutes, but look who they were playing.
                          And, he looks soft to me too, which would make me question whether he could put in 25 minutes on the court.

And those stats are for 1 game.

Comment

His stats in the second half of the season have been solid for the minutes he gets-due to injury I believe! That being said; if he were more tone, which I assume any DI program would do, he could be helpful to us! I think this uy may be a little "under the radar". I don't think he would be an All Valley type of player, but he could certainly help us with the "not so obvious" categories of the stat sheet (I.E.- Ramon, Ryan Martin, Troy Mack)!

Comment

No thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
                                No thanks
                                Call coach Marshall... you obviously need to be on the staff. :whistle:
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X