Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how big is this recruiting class gonna end up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snapshot9
    Well, converting Griskenas and Ellis to 4's, may or may not work out. 6'7" is on the shy side for a 4, especially one(s) that don't carry much weight. Durley and Clemente can handle it because they are not on the slendar side, but Gris and Ellis might not be able to hold their 4 position very well.

6'7" at the 4 will be a problem in Post season play, or the Big Dance unless they can jump over the basket.

Besides, Clemente and Durley pretty well fill up a 4 spot with the minutes.

Gris was mentioned as being able to play facing or his back to the basket, but Ellis is just used to playing facing the basket.

I just don't see our need for a SF (3) with Hawkins, Gris, and Ellis available for that postion. If Orukpe doensn't make it, we will need another 5 man, or at least a 4/5 man that is 6'8" or taller. And good luck on finding a decent one after the spring signing is over.
    As has been stated before, Ellis is taller than 6'7". I don't care what goshockers.com says. In addition, he has long limbs, so adding strength is his main issue. Even without a summer in the weight room, he had good minutes at the 4 late in the season.

In any case, I don't see how 6'7" power forwards really hurt us, since we will have at least one 7 footer at center to play alongside them. Add to that the fact that both Gris and Ellis would force a power forward to leave the lane to guard them, it opens up stuff in the offense. There may be times that a guy with a lot of bulk creates a bad matchup for them on the defensive end, but they both should be just as bad a matchup for that guy on the other end of the floor.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• How many times does Marshall have to tell you that Ellis is 6-9. Dont you believe the coach

Comment

• Originally posted by wushock
        How many times does Marshall have to tell you that Ellis is 6-9. Dont you believe the coach
        Even if you don't believe the coach, believe your eyes. Seeing him standing next to Phil, JT, Arbry etc. in the practice facility at Koch before the season, he was easily a couple of inches taller than those guys. Obviously, it is a very lanky frame, but the height is there.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• TMH, you beat me to that point. I noticed last night that Ellis was considerably taller than PT, Durley, Gris, etc.
          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

• And lets not forget that Durley doesn't have PT locked down at any position.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Regarding Ellis, he was first billed at 6'8". Then somone said 6'9", and another said he is actually 6'7.5". I know teams play games with heights sometime to gain an advantage or unknown mismatch, but it would be nice if his actual true height was known.

To me, it is quite a difference between a 6'7" player playing the 4, and a 6'9" playing the 4.

I think Durley's offensive skills speak for itself, and will gain him PT at the 4.
              It remains to be seen if his defensive skills will increase, or at least his effort towards them.

And the recruiting 'silence' is deafening!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snapshot9
                Regarding Ellis, he was first billed at 6'8". Then somone said 6'9", and another said he is actually 6'7.5". I know teams play games with heights sometime to gain an advantage or unknown mismatch, but it would be nice if his actual true height was known.

To me, it is quite a difference between a 6'7" player playing the 4, and a 6'9" playing the 4.

I think Durley's offensive skills speak for itself, and will gain him PT at the 4.
                It remains to be seen if his defensive skills will increase, or at least his effort towards them.

And the recruiting 'silence' is deafening!!!
                WSU had Clemente playing the 4 position quite a bit and he cannot be over 6'5". I think that all of the heights are overstated for most teams. Ellis must be close to a real 6' 9" with shoes.

Comment

• People keep bringing up Ellis' height. As said before Coach Marshall says he is 6-9 cant we just believe him once

Comment

• And he was easily the tallest player on the team.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22
                      And he was easily the tallest player on the team.
                      And finally played like it in the Tourney.

I think he is still growing. Who knows, he may hit 6'10. He may not. After seeing him stand next to Phil barefoot, with Phil still in his shoes, I can attest that if Phil is really 6'7, then Ellis was easily 6'8 1/2 or 6'9 in March.

Comment

• I'm ok with other teams scouting AE at 6'7.

He's going to be a nightmare match-up when he gets a little maturity to his game.

I've heard HCGM say something to AE along lines of "What are you, 6'8 and a half now? Why don't you use it!"
                        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                        -John Wooden

Comment

• 1) Clemente
                          2) Durley
                          3) Griskenis
                          4) Ellis
                          5) Hatch *
                          6) Preadom *
                          7) Reggie
                          8) Hannah
                          9) Kyles
                          10) Murry
                          11) Hawkins
                          12) Orukpe
                          13) Stutz

HCGM said on gameplan that he only has 1 scollie to give, so 1 has to be transferring. * = mostly likely. News on Orukpe sounds encouraging.

Comment

• Either Ehimen doesn't show or Preadom is leaving. That would be my guess.

I think Hatch is back. Really haven't heard anything that would make me think he'll be gone.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• From what Marshall reportedly said at the Golf Dinner, Preadom is definitely gone.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

• Based off of reports for the past month or more that doesn't surprise me. I still hate to see a SR leave, but I hope it was because Preadom decided it was best for him and he wasn't forced out completely against his will.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X