No announcement yet.

Omega Harris '14 pg 6-2 Offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a sneaky suspicion that if we want him we can have him.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      Nice to see him point to something we offer that not all do. And he prefers to stay closer to home. Still a lot of competition in the area, but I think we'll stay in play

Encouraging paragraph:

Having taken unofficial visits previously to Tulsa, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Wichita State and Miami, the 6-3 junior spoke in general about all the schools saying “The campuses were all cool and the people at them seemed really nice.” He did however point out that he loved how Wichita State and Miami had 24-hour gyms at their schools. Harris also mentioned some other things he will look for when visiting or talking with coaches. “Trying to see if I can go there and be comfortable for four years, and also see if they have what I’m majoring in (Mechanical Engineering)... I’d also look to see if I can come in and get playing time.”
      "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Sounds like his head is screwed on straight... Might as well rule out Johnson Co Community state hipster school. I bet they were the flagship before it was cool
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Those look like the words of a man who is coming to wsu

Comment

We are.strong in mechanical engineering, right?
            In the fast lane

Comment

Definitely not weak. It's a good program and certainly not the kind that other schools would beat out unless there were other issues being considered.

On the other hand I work with a guy who has that degree from WSU and he drives me nuts

Comment

For those who haven't clink on the link his current offers are from WSU, Oklahoma, Tulsa, and Fresno State. Interest from KU, Miami, Georgia, Oklahoma State, Minnesota and Iowa State.

RecruitScoop calls him a solid young guard with a lot of upside.
                In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                  For those who haven't clink on the link his current offers are from WSU, Oklahoma, Tulsa, and Fresno State. Interest from KU, Miami, Georgia, Oklahoma State, Minnesota and Iowa State.

Trop, I too would also love WSU to sign this top 100 player for the 2014 Class.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post

Watch out for Oklahoma State, as they have a VERY good engineering program. While WSU has a good engineering school, I view Mechanical as the weak link.
                    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                      Watch out for Oklahoma State, as they have a VERY good engineering program. While WSU has a good engineering school, I view Mechanical as the weak link.
                      Well did you write a book of ratings where could reference your opinion?

Comment

Nope, this is based on personal and professional experience and seeing the quality of graduates that OSU produces, and my personal experience in WSU school of engineering.

Comment

While I appreciate your opinion, especially being that you are a practicing engineer, I would still believe your opinion is subjective. While OSU is a good school, I would be more interested in an objective rating of the two schools. As in how many PE's as a percent, whether one school is accredited but the other one isn't and so on.

I'm sure that if someone looked at my education (3 years @ Wsu and a degree from central ok u), especially comparing me to ut or a&m grads, but I was surprised when I was asked by a prospective employer about several articles I had published, one of which was used as outside reading for an auditing class at ut......

Comment

I just went to google and checked. The me program at Wsu is PHD level, as noted here:

So just how can you characterize a phd level program as a weak link? Please show me where I missed something.

Bottom line is that the me's Wsu is turning out are studying specialties that don't lend themselves well to what you do in real life (for example, oil and gas refinery design and support).....

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                              Nope, this is based on personal and professional experience and seeing the quality of graduates that OSU produces, and my personal experience in WSU school of engineering.
                              Ah, subjective opinion. I would advise the young man to check out several programs and see where he feels most comfortable. I would imagine that there are successful graduates in both programs.

Comment

This is getting way off tangent in a recruiting thread, so if you like to discuss more, feel free to PM me. Otherwise I will make this my last post on this topic (or we could move it to one of the other boards if others want to participate).

Most universities will have wide ranges of engineering degrees, but turn out to be better in a few areas. For example, with Wichita being the air capitol, it was very natural for WSU to develop a robust and practical Aerospace Engineering program that participates in a lot of research. The running joke while I was getting my degrees was that while KU had the higher "ranked" aerospace program, they still had to come use some of our research facilities.

Additionally, I believe the faculty in the electrical engineering program is excellent, and provide a wide array of opportunities. Much of the work I have seen those graduate students doing is very impressive. These are the two strongest programs at WSU, in my opinion.

Computer engineering was still pretty new and needing to grow quite a bit. But it had a lot of opportunity for growth by being tied in with the electrical department. The industrial engineering department has been doing some interesting research, but is still a fairly small program by comparison. The bioengineering program is very new and not yet accredited. I have always felt that the mechanical engineering department could be better than it is. They are somewhat tied in with the aerospace department, but not very tightly.

OSU ties in their mechanical and aerospace programs into the same department, and use the combination to create a very strong program. Many of the classes at WSU are crossovers between the departments, but have competing interests by being two separate schools.

My statement regarding OSU is more how impressed I have been with the methodical and repeatable way they prepare engineers. Their students have put together some excellent work in the design competitions I have judged and are very prepared to enter the workforce.

I want to qualify this by stating that WSU is overall a very good school for engineering. But there is always room for improvement. I think tying together some departments to strengthen cooperation and curriculum standards would be very helpful.

I tend to view the strength of an engineering department based on the number of advanced degrees they produce and the research they perform (both graduate students and professors). In this regard the electrical and aerospace programs are far stronger while mechanical lags behind somewhat.

Comment

Working...
                                X