Matej Bosnjak 6'9 C Croatia a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
    In my extended search I did run across this highlight from Indiana State WSU from many years ago. I vaguely recall a fight in a game where players were ejected and one team played shorthanded, but I thought it was a home game. Must be the old memory....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AE9hPSWi2uc
    We got 15 players this Season so we are locked and ready. I remember that brawl. Then I remember Coach Cohen repeating over and over "Coop and Guff." Then was it a Tennessee game when Cooper got his leg broke? Then Coach Cohen was hustling to the locker room and fell and hurt his leg (or did he break it). We beat Alabama and Oklahoma State where Robert George totally impressed us against some future NBA guards. If I recall the Alabama coach called the Locker room show about his loss? So many Shocker memories.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

But his free throw shooting statistics were 67%, and the FIBA free throw line is the same as in America. Maybe he will improve his shooting percentage, but 67% at free throws isn’t the percentage of a great shooter yet.

But 67% is quite good when compared to most of our shooters this year.
      Not terrible by big man standards. Specifically, the guy he is replacing, Kenny Pohto, was pretty consistently a 63% free throw shooter in 3 years at Wichita State. From the highlight video posted it looks like his shooting form and mechanics on his perimeter shots is pretty good. Certainly, looks like he could be 70%+ from line.

Comment

From my experience, I know quite a few athletes abroad that would jump through any hurdle put in front of them for the chance to play any level of D1 ball. Education means a lot to families abroad, and getting experience abroad while getting that education is huge for a lot of players. Anyway, my point being, there are MANY athletes that fly under the radar because they don’t think they would find a university or club abroad that would be willing to front the money, time, or expertise needed to get all that paper work done to give them that opportunity. If coaches/scouts (for any sport not just basketball) are willing to put in the tedious work, there are gems out there itching for a chance to play here.

Comment

Originally posted by ventichai View Post
          From my experience, I know quite a few athletes abroad that would jump through any hurdle put in front of them for the chance to play any level of D1 ball. Education means a lot to families abroad, and getting experience abroad while getting that education is huge for a lot of players. Anyway, my point being, there are MANY athletes that fly under the radar because they don’t think they would find a university or club abroad that would be willing to front the money, time, or expertise needed to get all that paper work done to give them that opportunity. If coaches/scouts (for any sport not just basketball) are willing to put in the tedious work, there are gems out there itching for a chance to play here.
          Kung Wu wants to know if that would also be true for soccer. I know it's a different beast in Europe but with the pending program startup here in Wichita, he's pretty excited about the possibilities.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Kung Wu wants to know if that would also be true for soccer. I know it's a different beast in Europe but with the pending program startup here in Wichita, he's pretty excited about the possibilities.
            Yes, 100%. No question. I know football players who would have their whole family support them fully if given the chance. I’ve heard the process for moving to other countries within Europe or to Asia can be tricky, so I can’t imagine what it’s like moving to the US for a university must look like.

But yes, there is talent out the gills in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

No need to recruit foreign players at the D1 level for the women's side -- there is a huge pool of talent here in that sport. The men's side is a different animal.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

No need to recruit foreign players at the D1 level for the women's side -- there is a huge pool of talent here in that sport. The men's side is a different animal.
                Ah right I forgot the WSU team would be for the women’s side.

I will add (and this is a personal anecdote from the men’s side) that I know of a community college in Kansas that sent out recruiting offers to players abroad, and ran out of roster spots for homegrown (local Kansas) players. Was a pretty big point of contention from what I remember hearing. So sometimes it’s better to not make promises you can’t keep, especially when it comes at the expense of local talent.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not terrible by big man standards. Specifically, the guy he is replacing, Kenny Pohto, was pretty consistently a 63% free throw shooter in 3 years at Wichita State. From the highlight video posted it looks like his shooting form and mechanics on his perimeter shots is pretty good. Certainly, looks like he could be 70%+ from line.

Please re-read what I said, because it appears we agree. I said that 67% isn’t a “great” shooter. It sounded to me that some people were saying he had perimeter shooting skills, but I see him as a 5. If he divides the time at the 5 with Quincy Ballard, their skill differences would really complement each other, and that would put MB (if sharing) at 20 minutes per game and our 5’s at 10 fouls.

i also stated that he was a good/decent (not great) shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by ventichai View Post

Ah right I forgot the WSU team would be for the women’s side.

I will add (and this is a personal anecdote from the men’s side) that I know of a community college in Kansas that sent out recruiting offers to players abroad, and ran out of roster spots for homegrown (local Kansas) players. Was a pretty big point of contention from what I remember hearing. So sometimes it’s better to not make promises you can’t keep, especially when it comes at the expense of local talent.
                    Oh yeah, way more than just one doing it. Even Friends was getting a rep for this. Cliff avoided it at Newman best he could but toward the end even his foreign numbers started escalating, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      Killer B’s: Ballard, Bell, Beverly, Bijan and Bosnjak
                      I sent it to AD Saal as an NIL store idea.

Comment

Tangental, but I really want to learn more about the history of the Balkans. Such a weird juxtaposition of different religions and ethnic groups in one nation, then fighting each other in bloody wars for independence and self-determination. Then, you have ethnic groups in countries that are not "theirs" (like Croatian Serbs), Republica Srpska, etc....it's a mess. But I really would love to find a book or resource that discusses this in a comprehensive manner.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

These last 2 recruits were a nice splash.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                            Tangental, but I really want to learn more about the history of the Balkans. Such a weird juxtaposition of different religions and ethnic groups in one nation, then fighting each other in bloody wars for independence and self-determination. Then, you have ethnic groups in countries that are not "theirs" (like Croatian Serbs), Republica Srpska, etc....it's a mess. But I really would love to find a book or resource that discusses this in a comprehensive manner.
                            Every book I’ve seen on the Balkans is ridiculously long. My suggestion is to watch the documentary series The Balkans in Flames. Not sure where to find it. If you have a desire to learn more, then jump into a book.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                              Start with the first John Wick.

Comment

I have some friends who went to Croatia for vacation, along the coastline, across the Adriatic Sea from Italy. The pics they shared were gorgeous. Would like to go sometime.

Comment

Working...
                                X