• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Start with the first John Wick.
    That too

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
      Tangental, but I really want to learn more about the history of the Balkans. Such a weird juxtaposition of different religions and ethnic groups in one nation, then fighting each other in bloody wars for independence and self-determination. Then, you have ethnic groups in countries that are not "theirs" (like Croatian Serbs), Republica Srpska, etc....it's a mess. But I really would love to find a book or resource that discusses this in a comprehensive manner.
      About 20 some odd years ago I hired a young lady that was a freshman at WSU. She and her family escaped the genocide in Bosnia, working their way across Europe before eventually settling here in Wichita. She told me stories of the army going door to door with their....as she searched for the English words "gun machines?"....and informed her family that "they" now owned their home and that their choice was to leave or die. In the 21st century, the story was surreal to a white privileged 30 something who's biggest concern was if this little Ku guy could coach at this level.

I wish I had learned more from her at the time. I adored that kid and her family. Her father would come to my office and read a day old newspaper from beginning to end to improve his English, and if ANYONE else ever was looking for something, he was the first one to offer assistance. She graduated with honors, got into law school (she swore it was due to my reference letter, which is another story) and now practices immigration law. She has become a far left, full blown TDS carrier who has no grasp of reality when it comes to the political landscape......and I couldn't be more proud of her because she represents the American dream, and while she is misguided, she has a good heart and is trying to do right, seeing this world through a prism that most of us, thank GOD, have and never will see.

We should be thankful for our lives, more often, or at least I should.

Anyway, I just felt like telling that story.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Every book I’ve seen on the Balkans is ridiculously long. My suggestion is to watch the documentary series The Balkans in Flames. Not sure where to find it. If you have a desire to learn more, then jump into a book.
        Found it on YouTube - thanks! Might try to give it a watch tonight. I was able to find a few more books thanks to Reddit and I have no doubt I will end up on a rabbit hole starting in a few weeks. Eastern European history fascinates me - especially the Ottoman Empire and the Balkan region.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

About 20 some odd years ago I hired a young lady that was a freshman at WSU. She and her family escaped the genocide in Bosnia, working their way across Europe before eventually settling here in Wichita. She told me stories of the army going door to door with their....as she searched for the English words "gun machines?"....and informed her family that "they" now owned their home and that their choice was to leave or die. In the 21st century, the story was surreal to a white privileged 30 something who's biggest concern was if this little Ku guy could coach at this level.

I wish I had learned more from her at the time. I adored that kid and her family. Her father would come to my office and read a day old newspaper from beginning to end to improve his English, and if ANYONE else ever was looking for something, he was the first one to offer assistance. She graduated with honors, got into law school (she swore it was due to my reference letter, which is another story) and now practices immigration law. She has become a far left, full blown TDS carrier who has no grasp of reality when it comes to the political landscape......and I couldn't be more proud of her because she represents the American dream, and while she is misguided, she has a good heart and is trying to do right, seeing this world through a prism that most of us, thank GOD, have and never will see.

Incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I nominate for post of the year.

Comment

Maybe MB can help us get another player on his team on in his conference for next Season?
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                Maybe MB can help us get another player on his team on in his conference for next Season?
                now is the time to start

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                  Tangental, but I really want to learn more about the history of the Balkans. Such a weird juxtaposition of different religions and ethnic groups in one nation, then fighting each other in bloody wars for independence and self-determination. Then, you have ethnic groups in countries that are not "theirs" (like Croatian Serbs), Republica Srpska, etc....it's a mess. But I really would love to find a book or resource that discusses this in a comprehensive manner.
                  I read Balkan Ghosts: A Journey Through History a few years ago and quite enjoyed it. The author does an excellent job of weaving his extensive travel anecdotes with the broader geopolitical forces at play. I wouldn't say the book attempts to provide a comprehensive history of the Balkans, but I found the details to be very informative nonetheless.

I actually went on a road trip with some friends through most of the Balkans a few years ago and found it incredibly fascinating to compare the differences between countries. Visiting today, one would never suspect places like Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, and Montenegro were all once part of a single nation. If I could recommend only one country from the trip it would be Croatia. Croatia is very Western, has beautiful natural scenery, and generally feels like a less expensive version of Italy. The wildest country from the trip, which probably produced more stories than the other eight countries combined, was Albania. That place is wonderfully bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I read Balkan Ghosts: A Journey Through History a few years ago and quite enjoyed it. The author does an excellent job of weaving his extensive travel anecdotes with the broader geopolitical forces at play. I wouldn't say the book attempts to provide a comprehensive history of the Balkans, but I found the details to be very informative nonetheless.

I actually went on a road trip with some friends through most of the Balkans a few years ago and found it incredibly fascinating to compare the differences between countries. Visiting today, one would never suspect places like Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, and Montenegro were all once part of a single nation. If I could recommend only one country from the trip it would be Croatia. Croatia is very Western, has beautiful natural scenery, and generally feels like a less expensive version of Italy. The wildest country from the trip, which probably produced more stories than the other eight countries combined, was Albania. That place is wonderfully bizarre.
                    Added to my reading list.

And none of your experience surprises me based on my cursory understanding of the two countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I've always had Albania on my extended list of places I want to visit. I don't know a ton about it, but what I do know is definitely interesting.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Now you have me wanting to read it….everyone I’ve seen is about 1,000 pages.

Comment

Working...
                        X