• Show
Clear All

Don't worry. We'll be fine.

It sounds like you know something we don't

Comment

Originally posted by Shockfan8
      Don't worry. We'll be fine.

It sounds like you know something we don't
      Maybe he's trying to pull another Guy Ntang on us ;-)

Comment

:whistle:
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I've been curious about the competion level agaisnt Coy. Since I was on a Missouri high school site for another reason, I went ahead and did some checking. Coy's team plays in class 4 in Missouri. They have 5 classes. Checking their schedule, I don't think they play heavy competion outside their class. They were the 6th ranked team in their classification but dropped a couple since the poll. In comparison, Denmon with his big numbers plays in class 3. Not for sure which classification Steve Moore plays in. It's either 4 or 5. His team is not ranked in any class.
          In the fast lane

Comment

I would be guessing that their class 4 is like our 5a. Who knows, but just cause it's a smaller school doesn't mean those guys don't play bigger ones. Plus there have been lots of kids come out of smaller classes here in KS that did just fine. Mo Evans was from 3A WCS. Dennis Lattimore did play at 3A Halstead. Tyler Reed is from 3A Burlington. Plus we have had alot of outstanding players come out of 5A. Wasn't Jamar Howard from a 5A?

I'm not going after you tropicalshox, I'm just trying to show that school size doesn't matter if the kid can play ball.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
              I would be guessing that their class 4 is like our 5a. Who knows, but just cause it's a smaller school doesn't mean those guys don't play bigger ones. Plus there have been lots of kids come out of smaller classes here in KS that did just fine. Mo Evans was from 3A WCS. Dennis Lattimore did play at 3A Halstead. Tyler Reed is from 3A Burlington. Plus we have had alot of outstanding players come out of 5A. Wasn't Jamaal Howard from a 5A?

I'm not going after you tropicalshox, I'm just trying to show that school size doesn't matter if the kid can play ball.
              Don't you mean Jamar Howard, and he played at Shawnee Mission which is either 5a or 6a.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02
                Originally posted by rrshock
                I would be guessing that their class 4 is like our 5a. Who knows, but just cause it's a smaller school doesn't mean those guys don't play bigger ones. Plus there have been lots of kids come out of smaller classes here in KS that did just fine. Mo Evans was from 3A WCS. Dennis Lattimore did play at 3A Halstead. Tyler Reed is from 3A Burlington. Plus we have had alot of outstanding players come out of 5A. Wasn't Jamaal Howard from a 5A?

Don't you mean Jamar Howard, and he played at Shawnee Mission which is either 5a or 6a.
                Yes I mean Jamar. I was tired. I'll fix it. I was thinking he was from one of the KCK schools which are mostly 5a. All the SM schools are 6.

Comment

Originally posted by GarH
                  After being at a 1/3 full Wells Fargo Arena (ASU) which on a good night has all the life of a morgue, Koch Arena ought to be an eye opener.
                  It's what goes on outside the Wells Fargo Arena that has me worried about securing this young mans services. Tempe Arizona (Campus, Chicks and Night-life)...complete opposite of "morgue". lol :D
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Jamar went to 5A Bishop Miege. 5A is not small schools as there's little no difference between 5A & 6A. Think the City League with BC & KMC compared to Wichita public schools. BC pretty much owns the CL (except for basketball) and 5A is far and away the best football class in the state.

Comment

I agree rrshock, school size doesn't matter when it comes to being a player or not. With the big numbers from Coy and Denmon, I was just curious.

Did anybody see or hear if Coy as at the game yesterday?
                      In the fast lane

Comment

The only thing is the players in the bigger classes are going to be tested more as the talent level as a whole is going to be better at the 4A, 5A and 6A levels compared to the 1A and 2A. But that doesn't mean that there aren't good/great players at the smaller classes.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I tell this story every few years.

I once asked Scott Thompson if he was recruiting a guard that played up at a 2A school north of Wichita. He explained that he wasn't and with these small town kids, you could just never be sure how they would transition to D1.

Jacy Holloway turned out to be a four year starter at point guard on some very good Iowa State teams.

I know there are plenty of examples of small town kids who have not done so well, but this conversation will always stick out in my mind.
                          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
                            I tell this story every few years.

I once asked Scott Thompson if he was recruiting a guard that played up at a 2A school north of Wichita. He explained that he wasn't and with these small town kids, you could just never be sure how they would transition to D1.

Jacy Holloway turned out to be a four year starter at point guard on some very good Iowa State teams.

I know there are plenty of examples of small town kids who have not done so well, but this conversation will always stick out in my mind.
                            No wonder we sucked under him. He had kids right under his nose and he didn't even take a peak at them. I believe there was a kid from Hillsboro that played at Seton Hall (when Adrianne Griffin was there) then transferred to Northwestern at about the same time.

AAU ball is where coaches notice kids the most anymore. It doesn't matter what size school you're from, they get the competition they need to play against. I used Tyler Reed as an example. He didn't get better playing at 3A Burlington, he got better playing AAU ball. I think the same goes for the City League kids as well. Granted they play a little bit better competition, but it isn't always that great.

Comment

Kyle Korver - Pella, Iowa

Case closed.
                              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock
                                Kyle Korver - Pella, Iowa

Case closed.
                                That's a very good example.

We won't even talk about women's basketball and school size. I think you all know who I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X