Daimion Collins 6'9 F Kentucky Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
    It makes sense that we were in on Collins and Pohto for the same spot. Pohto said yes. They moved on.

So should we.
    Maybe, but I'd also argue another PF would be beneficial unless they are 100% sure DeGray will get a waiver (which I still don't think he will). Otherwise you're rolling with a combo at PF of Pohto and Abidde, which might work if Abidde is ready to take that step. Otherwise you're asking undersized wings to play some 4 and personally I've never been a huge fan of that.

And that would also require Ballard to maintain a healthy status and contribute. If he doesn't, you need Pohto playing more C and that would put a lot more on the shoulders of Abidde and an undersized wing if DeGray doesn't get his waiver.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Maybe, but I'd also argue another PF would be beneficial unless they are 100% sure DeGray will get a waiver (which I still don't think he will). Otherwise you're rolling with a combo at PF of Pohto and Abidde, which might work if Abidde is ready to take that step. Otherwise you're asking undersized wings to play some 4 and personally I've never been a huge fan of that.

And that would also require Ballard to maintain a healthy status and contribute. If he doesn't, you need Pohto playing more C and that would put a lot more on the shoulders of Abidde and an undersized wing if DeGray doesn't get his waiver.
      If the coaching staff is done adding to the frontcourt then they are essentially crossing their fingers that two of Ballard, Abidde, DeGray can contribute meaningfully next season. Personally, that makes me nervous, but I can see an argument that it's time for Abidde and Ballard (if healthy) to play so that we know what we have there. The same goes for Jalen Ricks on the wing.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

If the coaching staff is done adding to the frontcourt then they are essentially crossing their fingers that two of Ballard, Abidde, DeGray can contribute meaningfully next season. Personally, that makes me nervous, but I can see an argument that it's time for Abidde and Ballard (if healthy) to play so that we know what we have there. The same goes for Jalen Ricks on the wing.
        I want Abidde to get a chance. If healthy, I do think Ballard can contribute as a solid backup C who is focused on D and put-backs. I'm not sure you can trust either to the point you don't think you need an alternative though.

If DeGray does get his waiver it still requires one of those other two to contribute at least solid backup minutes. If he doesn't, it puts a ton of strain on the front-court.

We obviously don't know what the status of Ballard and his injury is. If they're confident he's good to go and will be fine then maybe it can work out. I just know I'd be a lot more comfortable with another option there.

If I were in charge, I'd still be going after PG and PF for the last two spots. This changes if DeGray will be eligible and there have been hints that they believe he will be, but I haven't seen anything that would seem to guarantee he'll get a waiver based on the new parameters around them for 2nd time transfers.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

If I were in charge, I'd still be going after PG and PF for the last two spots. This changes if DeGray will be eligible and there have been hints that they believe he will be, but I haven't seen anything that would seem to guarantee he'll get a waiver based on the new parameters around them for 2nd time transfers.
          I think we are in complete agreement regarding the last two spots. In my eyes, PG is the number one priority. After that, either a PF or SF capable of playing at the 4 for the last scholarship. Something that hasn't been discussed much is that, after Harland Beverly, we really only have Jalen Ricks who can slot in as a true SF. Maybe you can slide Colby Rogers over, but at 6'4 he'll be undersized and out of position.

Comment

Abidde has had opportunities or chances (even during quality times of games last year). He hasn't shown much. There were a couple of games when I was so glad that Brown took him out of the game. Early on, Rojas wasn't very good, so Abidde wasn't worse (we were really bad during those games). After January, finally Rojas began to show some ability at the PF. I'm not against IA getting more opportunities, but he was unimpressive last year. Maybe the new coaches can bring ability out of our returnees from last year, but right now, the only returning player that showed much was Kenny.

Comment

Who of the returning players other than KP has the best chance to contribute in our rotation?
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                Abidde has had opportunities or chances (even during quality times of games last year). He hasn't shown much. There were a couple of games when I was so glad that Brown took him out of the game. Early on, Rojas wasn't very good, so Abidde wasn't worse (we were really bad during those games). After January, finally Rojas began to show some ability at the PF. I'm not against IA getting more opportunities, but he was unimpressive last year. Maybe the new coaches can bring ability out of our returnees from last year, but right now, the only returning player that showed much was Kenny.
                He’s a helluva shooter in practice though!!!
                The Assman

Comment

Rogers should be a starter. Abidde, Ballard, and Bell should contribute in our rotation.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                    It makes sense that we were in on Collins and Pohto for the same spot. Pohto said yes. They moved on.

So should we.
                    If we are going to roll the dice on someone potentially wasting a scholarship ... you can do a hell of a lot worse than collins.

Comment

What's the PG rotation right now?

Comment

I have a hard time holding the last couple years against guys like Abidde, Ricks, and even Bell. What players at WSU got better under the IB staff other than CP3 and Pohto? We didn't have an offense, and there was very little player development during those years. Those guys had stints where they were playable. Hopefully the new staff can develop players.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                          I have a hard time holding the last couple years against guys like Abidde, Ricks, and even Bell. What players at WSU got better under the IB staff other than CP3 and Pohto? We didn't have an offense, and there was very little player development during those years. Those guys had stints where they were playable. Hopefully the new staff can develop players.
                          This is the boat I'm in. They've both shown flashes at times, but the previous staff was pretty incompetent. I'm not sure how much they were actually responsible for the likes of Pohto and Porter.

But I'm also not comfortable going into the season trusting either of them to be reliable contributors.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Two scholarships and three needs at PG, 36-42% perimeter shooting wing who can also play D and a Carl Hall type at PF in case KP has to play more center than PF.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                              Two scholarships and three needs at PG, 36-42% perimeter shooting wing who can also play D and a Carl Hall type at PF in case KP has to play more center than PF.
                              You don't want much do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

If we are going to roll the dice on someone potentially wasting a scholarship ... you can do a hell of a lot worse than collins.
                                This is 100% true.

Comment

Working...
                                X