Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joy Ighovodja 6'4 G 2023 Nigeria a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LetsGoShockers2021 View Post
    Usually when we sign a big strong athletic guy who is a project ; they end up as a bust for WSU. Can think of 3/4 past 10 yrs.

the fact he has only played basketball since 2014 is a major red flag for me. Players are so good in this conference ; you may not be ready til your final year if ever.

It’s not being negative it’s just truthful so I’ll go ahead and say it… Not happy about this signing.
    2014 was 9 years ago, right?

Comment

Usually when we sign a big strong athletic guy who is a project ; they end up as a bust for WSU. Can think of 3/4 past 10 yrs.

the fact he has only played basketball since 2014 is a major red flag for me. Players are so good in this conference ; you may not be ready til your final year if ever.

It’s not being negative it’s just truthful so I’ll go ahead and say it… Not happy about this signing.
      Rooting for him to fail? Sounds like it.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

So someone starting at the age of 9 is too late? That would be what, 3rd or 4th grade? I have no idea why that would be a red flag for anyone.
        I fixed it. I meant since the age of 14. (4 years ago)

Comment

Originally posted by WINGdingBALLfling View Post

2014 was 9 years ago, right?
          Correct ; I meant age 14 not the year 2014. He’s played basketball for 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Rooting for him to fail? Sounds like it.
            Definitely not. But I am rooting for good play ready now recruiting, not projects. You can’t friggin tell me you want projects with 4 years of basketball experience ?!?!

Comment

That's still not uncommon with African born players.

Until I see him in person or see some actual video of him playing I'll withhold too much judgement. But the fact that he was playing with professionals the last two years is somewhat encouraging. The BAL is an OK league and he was able to devote most of his time to it. Good build and athleticism with some interesting experience makes him at least intriguing.

I'm guessing he got better coaching/structure than most JUCO kids get.

I don't know what kind of competition he faced on the U16 National team that he played for, but he did put up some solid numbers.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Definitely not. But I am rooting for good play ready now recruiting, not projects. You can’t friggin tell me you want projects with 4 years of basketball experience ?!?!
                A couple of projects on the roster is never a bad thing. They won't all pan out, but that's also why you have 13 'ships to give.

And slight correction, he has 5 years of experience.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I think we hire coaches to assess the skills and talent of those they recruit. Probably a good thing it's not left up to media and fans. I doubt anyone that posts on this site has seen a full minute of this kid on the floor. But I'll bet that multiple members of the coaching staff have watched a full game if not multiple games of this kid.

But hey, I'm sure we on SN know better than the coaching staff as to what is needed. They should probably just let us handle the recruiting.
                  Last edited by Atxshoxfan; April 24, 2023, 05:13 PM.

Comment

the fact he has only played basketball since the age of 14 is a major red flag for me. Players are so good in this conference ; you may not be ready til your final year if ever.

He is rated higher than Tekele Cotton was.

He started playing at a younger age than Ramon Clemente did. (Who is still playing)

Comment

Since HCPM had been recruiting well enough to do some dancing at ORU, I'm trusting the abilities of him and his assistants to move our Program forward. Our AD seems to be building our funds up from the slow start we got before his arrival.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                        Since HCPM had been recruiting well enough to do some dancing at ORU, I'm trusting the abilities of him and his assistants to move our Program forward. Our AD seems to be building our funds up from the slow start we got before his arrival.
                        I get what you're saying, but building a team to win the Summit tournament isn't the same as building an at large contender which is absolutely what we should be.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I get what you're saying, but building a team to win the Summit tournament isn't the same as building an at large contender which is absolutely what we should be.
                          Agreed Sub. That is why I hope we get 4 splashes on our Final 4 recruits and our AD works tirelessly and daily to build our funds needed to succeed under these new guidelines.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Pascal Siakim

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                              Pascal Siakim
                              Is a 6’9 forward and this dude is a 6’4 guard

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

He started playing at a younger age than Ramon Clemente did. (Who is still playing)
                                Well Ramon needs more experience if he ever wants to play in the AAC.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X