T.J. Williams - 6'6" G (Wichita Heights) Class of 2024 - Shocker commit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
    Does anyone know if TJ can shoot from deep? I note he only attempted 15 threes (making 4) for his AAU team last spring/summer.
    Everything I've read about him indicates that's not a strength of his. He's a slasher with a decent pull up game I think. His outside shot will need to be worked on, but he's not going to be a prolific outside threat.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Everything I've read about him indicates that's not a strength of his. He's a slasher with a decent pull up game I think. His outside shot will need to be worked on, but he's not going to be a prolific outside threat.
      I'm okay with DeMar DeRozan

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I'm okay with DeMar DeRozan
        How about Xavier Bell?
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Comment

• Heights defeated Campus last night 86-57. TJ scored 17 points, had 12 rb,, and 4 assists. A friend of mine who watched this game and others described TJ as having excellent basketball ball IQ and court vision, and a great leaper.

I'm excited to see TJ and Zion as Shockers next Season. This is a solid start to what needs to be a recruiting period in which HCPM needs to knock it over the fence and clear out of the park as #7 Mickey Mantle used to do for the Yankees.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Watched Heights last night. He is really a team player. Passed and handled the ball well. Always looking to advance the ball down court. Long, strong, and athletic who gets above the rim rebounding. He made 1 three. He only took 1 or 2. Scored most of his points close to the basket. I think he had 17 and 12 last night.
              Northwest is small, athletic and plays hard. Heights will probably beat them badly if they play like they did last night. I didn’t see Shawnee Mission Northwest, but Mill Valley has 4 good players. The winner of that should give Heights a good challenge. Campus could not get back on defense. Campus only had Burton and 1 other player who would play for Heights.

It’s hard to judge high school players when the difference in the teams is so big. I don’t know if Williams will be a star, but I think he is the kind of guy you want on the team especially since he is a Wichita kid. I think the final on Saturday will be a good game to see him against better competition. His high school career says he is a big winner and from his demeanor, he also looked like a team leader.

Comment

• SMNW beat Heights 47 - 39. NW was a little taller than Heights and played a 2-3 zone almost the entire game except in transition a few times in the 1st half. NW has a 7’ center who I think is a sophomore. He made it difficult on Heights to score close to the bucket. Heights didn’t attack it very well except for 1 player who made 4 threes. I think Heights was too patient. Need a shot clock. NW wasn’t going to get in a running game with Heights.

Williams only had 6 points when I left with 30 seconds left. The two threes that he shot were not close. Both may have been air balls. This was not the kind of game that he is going to excel in. Heights in general was not aggressive offensively or in their man defense.

Comment

• The best player on the floor was Keaton Wagler, SMNW's junior 6'5" point guard. His folks both played at Hutch Juco, dad with the 94 national champs. SMNW finishes 25-0.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    The best player on the floor was Keaton Wagler, SMNW's junior 6'5" point guard. His folks both played at Hutch Juco, dad with the 94 national champs. SMNW finishes 25-0.
                    3 star on 247. Only appears to be receiving interest from UMKC. That might change now though.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

3 star on 247. Only appears to be receiving interest from UMKC. That might change now though.
                      So, having seen both play one another you would rate Wagler, a PG, better ? Can you compare the two ?

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

So, having seen both play one another you would rate Wagler, a PG, better ? Can you compare the two ?
                        Wagler is a junior and a PG. TJ is a senior, and a .........wing, I guess. He could not score vs SMNW and doesn't appear to be a shooter. Very athletic, tho.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Wagler is a junior and a PG. TJ is a senior, and a .........wing, I guess. He could not score vs SMNW and doesn't appear to be a shooter. Very athletic, tho.
                          TJ will need to really work on honing his 3pt shooting. As happens a lot in high school, an athletic 6'6" kid ends up playing too much inside for his team out of necessity.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I like Joe's last comment, while choking up...."We're gonna miss him".

In HS we played at some small school in southeastern KS, I can't remember which one, but they were having senior night and introducing each senior with his parents. The PA guy, who I assume was at least in his 70s and probably never had stepped out of small town America, after introducing the last young man, whom I'm sure was the star of the team, said pretty much the same thing, but obviously not realizing he was still being heard by basically the entire town on a hot mic. I always thought it was funny and something to remember.

With a Kansas drawl like no other:

"We gunna miss that boy."

Most of the crowd broke out in laughter.
                              Last edited by WuDrWu; March 12, 2024, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Kansas Gatorade Player of the Year.

Comment

Working...
                                X