T.J. Williams - 6'6" G (Wichita Heights) Class of 2024 - Shocker commit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWCH - Heights' TJ WIlliams named Kansas' Gatorade player of the year

TJ Williams of Wichita Heights was named the 2023-24 Gatorade Kansas Boys Basketball Player of the Year. The award, which celebrates the nation’s top high school athletes for excellence on the court, in the classroom and in the community, distinguishes Williams, who has signed with Wichita State, as Kansas’ best high school boys basketball player.

The 6-foot-5, 195-pound senior guard averaged 14 points, 7.1 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.3 blocks this past season, leading the Falcons (23-2) to the Class 6A state championship game. Williams was a 2023 Class 6A First Team All-State selection and the VYPE Wichita Area Player of the Year. He finished his prep basketball career with 1,278 points.

Williams has volunteered locally on behalf of Better Academic and Social Excellence (BAASE), a Wichita-based high school fraternity. He has also donated his time to multiple community service initiatives through his church. Williams has maintained a weighted 3.17 GPA.

Williams joins recent Gatorade Kansas Boys Basketball Players of the Year Matas Buzelis (2022-23, Sunrise Christian Academy), Gradey Dick (2021-22, Sunrise Christian Academy & 2019-20, Wichita Collegiate School) and Kennedy Chandler (2020-21, Sunrise Christian Academy), among the state’s list of former award winners.​
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I could see TJ learning a lot from Harlond Beverly and XB (if he stays). Excited to have this young man join the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
        I could see TJ learning a lot from Harlond Beverly and XB (if he stays). Excited to have this young man join the program.
        TJ already has better vision and decision making than either of those two.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

TJ already has better vision and decision making than either of those two.
          That's encouraging to hear. I still think the vets can make his transition to D1 a lot smoother.

Comment

• Quite a statement from Joe Auer to say he's never had a player like TJ. Someone who's a leader and steps up during practice to motivate his teammates. Joe Auer also coached Evan Wessel and Perry Ellis. The last thing he said is "I've never had a kid like him" I think we have our sg of the future.
            Last edited by Woodrow; March 23, 2024, 07:38 PM.
            I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
              Quite a statement from Joe Auer to say he's never had a player like TJ. Someone who's a leader and steps up during practice to motivate his teammates. Joe Auer also coached Evan Wessel and Perry Ellis. The last thing he said is "I've never had a kid like him" I think we have our sg of the future.
              Except perimeter shooting doesn't seem to be a strength for TJ. Doesn't mean he can't develop into a decent shooter but that wasn't a significant part of his game ar Heights. Now maybe that's because he didn't have to shoot from outside in high school but it would have come in handy in the 6A Championship game and will come in very handy at the collegiate level.

Comment

• T.J. Williams should be a great fit in the Coach Paul Mills system. He also plays solid D.
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                  Kansas Gatorade Player of the Year.
                  What’s next for Wichita State basketball recruit TJ Williams after winning Gatorade award

Auer, a six-time state champion, even went as far as to say Williams is the best leader he has ever coached. “If you ask his teammates or me, the best thing about TJ is his leadership every day at practice and in games,” Auer said. “He took ownership of every aspect of our team’s success. It was very apparent to me at a young age that he had a very special gift as far as motivating others and he embraced that and took it very seriously. He cared about everybody and was concerned about what everybody was doing every day and knew everybody’s story and everybody’s journey. He was just unbelievable. “I am just really proud of his willingness to lead and to make sacrifices in pursuit of winning and that’s what is going to make TJ a great college basketball player.” WHAT TJ WILLIAMS IS FOCUSED ON IMPROVING FOR WICHITA STATE JUMP

At 6-5 with his athleticism and range, Williams was able to overwhelm a lot of his competition at the high school level. He knows that will change drastically when he arrives on WSU’s campus in June. He offers tremendous defensive upside for WSU head coach Paul Mills, while his unselfish tendencies on offense are sure to mesh well at the next level. But the main area where Williams will have to level up to make a two-way impact in the American Athletic Conference is his outside shooting. He made just 10 3-pointers this past season at a 32% clip, numbers he knows he will have to improve to help the Shockers win games. “I’ve been in the gym working on my shooting,” Williams said. “Off the bounce and catch and shoot, just getting ready, locked and loaded so when the point guard creates a gap for me and puts me in a good position, I can knock down shots with confidence.” Williams, who offers versatility with his ball handling, and Texas native Zion Pipkin, who projects more as a lead ball handler

,” Williams said. “I know he’s going to get it right and we’re going to get it rolling. I just can’t wait to get there and get that environment back and get the Roundhouse back

Comment

• Sure wish that FVV was his Jump Shooting tutor.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      Sure wish that FVV was his Jump Shooting tutor.
                      He might have to settle for Ron.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I am hoping for a TC or DD defensive guy

Comment

• He kinda reminds me of Sterling Chapman.

Comment

• I'm not sure how much POY awards tell us, but Sterling Chapman wasn't rated as high as Gatorade POY's have been.

Gatorade Kansas POY
                            2019 Christian Braun Overland Park (NBA Nuggets)
                            2020 Gradey Dick SCA (Currently NBA)
                            2021 Kennedy Chandler SCA (currently in NBA G League)
                            2022 Gradey Dick SCA (Currently NBA)
                            2023 Matas Buzelis SCA (Lithuanian player invited to play in the NBA G League)

2024 T. J. Williams Wichita Heights (?)

Kansas Basketball (H.S.) Coaches Association POY
                            2021 Sterling Chapman Campus (UTA NCAA)
                            Last edited by Shockm; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

• Xavier Bell won the same award as Chapman in 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                                He kinda reminds me of Sterling Chapman.
                                Attached Files
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X