Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Put the pipe down Smokey.
    This isn't new, and has been a subject numerous times. Wichitan's tend to be quite critical of their own city. That's one reason that I think that Lily Wu might be a positive cheerleading voice for the city, and move the Mayor's position away from a divisive political voice (that could have gone in the political column but fit here).

Smokey
    Last edited by Shockm; April 6, 2023, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Hating Wichita = Hating Nickelback

Something a lot of people say, but not really sure why they themselves believe it.
      The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
        Hating Wichita = Hating Nickelback

Something a lot of people say, but not really sure why they themselves believe it.
        And those people are still in the minority. They're just annoyingly vocal
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

From comments from Wichitan’s, unlike Antoine Carr, Henry Carr, Karl Papke, Aubrey Sherrod, Kelly Pete, and Maurice Evans, why would a Wichita kid want to play basketball here in their hometown? SCA kids wouldn’t consider us.
          Along those lines, I really hope HCPM is cultivating a relationship with Coach Luke and Sunrise. What a great opportunity in our home town to have a program like that. It is unfortunate that we haven't had more success getting top tier Buffaloes to become Shockers. But I gotta feel like that there is huge potential to do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

Along those lines, I really hope HCPM is cultivating a relationship with Coach Luke and Sunrise. What a great opportunity in our home town to have a program like that. It is unfortunate that we haven't had more success getting top tier Buffaloes to become Shockers. But I gotta feel like that there is huge potential to do better.
            Saal and Armchair need to keep those relationships strong too.
            The Assman

Comment

This isn't new, and has been a subject numerous times. Wichitan's tend to be quite critical of their own city. That's one reason that I think that Lily Wu might be a positive cheerleading voice for the city, and move the Mayor's position away from a divisive political voice (that could have gone in the political column but fit here).

Smokey
              I know that. Grew up there and spent 35 years of my life there. I just simply couldn't decipher what the hell you were trying to say in your post. I needed my drunk speak decoder ring I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

I don't know how much of a recruiting success that WSU could have at SCA, but as I said earlier, if we still can occasionally attract 4* Top 100 players (which I think we can), then we should be able to successfully do it at SCA.

Comment

I don't know how much of a recruiting success that WSU could have at SCA, but as I said earlier, if we still can occasionally attract 4* Top 100 players (which I think we can), then we should be able to successfully do it at SCA.
                  With the Top tier p5s that normally dominated the Top 100 focusing on the portal, I'd think we would be positioned really well to land some Top 50 players here and there.

Comment

I'm all for recruiting HS kids - especially locals. However - I can see the advantage of recruiting college upper classmen and having a lot of success because of the maturity - both physical and mental.

The flip side of selling out to the portal - you won't get HS kids wanting to sit behind the portal kids.

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
                      I'm all for recruiting HS kids - especially locals. However - I can see the advantage of recruiting college upper classmen and having a lot of success because of the maturity - both physical and mental.

The flip side of selling out to the portal - you won't get HS kids wanting to sit behind the portal kids.

or you develop HS kids only to have them enter the portal after one year of proving themselves

Comment

If those developed HS kids are playing well, and you're winning and competing at the highest levels, you have little to fear about them entering the portal. Most kids in the portal aren't happy with PT or they're on a team not competing in the post season and they believe they can land on a team that does. Or they've experienced a coaching change of some sort.

If Mills can elevate the program and make us relevant, you're not going to see top players leaving. If we remain irrelevant nationally, then of course top talent is going to be looking to play in March and will test the portal. The belief that recruiting HS kids is pointless is a dangerous attitude to take. Relying on the portal is just as dangerous. Sure, you have some college tape on guys, but with no more freebies you're also stuck with them if they don't work out unless they're willing to go sit somewhere for a year if it doesn't work.

Good teams are less likely to lose top talent unless there are other issues. Bad and average teams are the ones that are more at risk.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

or you develop HS kids only to have them enter the portal after one year of proving themselves
                          Not all of them. I think you want 1 or 2 high school recruits each year out of 13 scholarships. Our Freshmen this year were Ricks and Abiddee 3* guys and maybe 2* guys. I’m not sure if either will ever be good enough. We need a couple of 4* Freshmen who are ready to really contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

With the Top tier p5s that normally dominated the Top 100 focusing on the portal, I'd think we would be positioned really well to land some Top 50 players here and there.
                            I think it could potentially help non P5 schools get more kids in the 51-150 range but the big boys will still always go hard after the top 50 kids.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

I think it could potentially help non P5 schools get more kids in the 51-150 range but the big boys will still always go hard after the top 50 kids.
                              Who knows where the line falls but we are in agreement with the potential impact.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X