Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quincy Ballard - 7'0 240 transfer from Florida State (verbal to WSU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Regul8te View Post
    There is no downside to this. We are not going to be signing 7ft polished freshmen out of hs. With three years to develop, this is a great snag. I get the “well who is going to develop him” comments. We haven’t seen a ton of players get better in the program over the last couple years…. But again we aren’t in a position to sign a ton of 4 and 5 star big guys…. And never have been.

I’m very excited about the additions so far.

From looking at the videos by Tyler Eldridge he is already better than Orupke. He can catch the ball.!!! (No offense against Orupke but Ballard is just better) He can score inside and he can block shots. He is athletic and can move. He what we need to protect the rim. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Not anticipating a lot of offense based upon his bio, but if he can be a rim protector and a solid rebounder, this could be a great signing. Now time to recruit some solid three point shooters.

Comment

• We've got some 3-point shooters. Council was efficient. The NBA camps go past the portal deadline, which increases the probability that he'll be back.

The reports that Ricks can stroke it seem credible. Porter seemed to get better and more confident as the year went on. If our backcourt is Porter (6'2"), Council (6'6") and Ricks (6'7") and all those guys can hit 3's, and none of them decide it's mandatory to lead the team in attempts from 3, that could be a substantial shooting upgrade from last year.

If we can get a PF that is a scoring threat, then everybody on the team has to be guarded.

Comment

• Eldridge has suggested we might see Ballard and Pohto on the court at the same time. I think Pohto has the chops to defend a PF. I don't know about his handles driving to the basket, which is a nice asset for a stretch 4, but he could be dangerous playing PF with a rim protector whose main offensive role was getting some putbacks.

Ngandu would be the icing on the cake. He would give the Shox a front court that went 7' (Ballard), 6'11" (Pohto), 6'9" (Ngandu), 6'9" (Abidde), 6'8" (Rojas).

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
            We've got some 3-point shooters. Council was efficient. The NBA camps go past the portal deadline, which increases the probability that he'll be back.

The reports that Ricks can stroke it seem credible. Porter seemed to get better and more confident as the year went on. If our backcourt is Porter (6'2"), Council (6'6") and Ricks (6'7") and all those guys can hit 3's, and none of them decide it's mandatory to lead the team in attempts from 3, that could be a substantial shooting upgrade from last year.

If we can get a PF that is a scoring threat, then everybody on the team has to be guarded.
            I agree and disagree with your statement. I agree we need another PF. I agree that RC4, CP, and Jalen Ricks can shoot the 3pointer. I totally agree that having a team where everybody can score means that everybody has to be guarded.. That gives you a good chance to win.

I disagree with the notion that we have enough 3 point shooters in RC4,CP, and JRicks. On any given day they can have one of those games where that ball just will not go in. Look at Houston. They had reliable shooters that could not throw it in the ocean against Villanova. 1for 21 from 3point line in that game. . Having Sassler and that other kid could have changed the outcome I hope Shocks coaching staff keep recruiting shooters.

Go Shocks and Happy Easter to everybody.

Comment

• We could have all the shooters in the world but if you don’t have an offense to get them open looks, they are not going to be makers. Dribble juke and shoot is never going to cut it .

Comment

• They missed so many open 3 pointers last year. That's not offense . That's Clang. And more Clang.

Yikes Now that I think about it , they even missed several wide open layups. So sad.
                Last edited by TheShocktocles; April 17, 2022, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• sign em all

I do not own or claim to own this clip, it is solely the intellectual property of Warner Brothers Entertainment.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                    They missed so many open 3 pointers last year. That's not offense . That's Clang. And more Clang.

Yikes Now that I think about it , they even missed several wide open layups. So sad.
                    Shooting isn’t all that’s important to have a good team. I’m encouraged that we are recruiting some players that can rebound and block shots. Our best teams under GM averaged 8-10 more rebounds than opponents. We also had a couple of very good (Sweet 16) that averaged 6-8 more rebounds than opponents. The last two years, we only averaged 2 more rebounds or less than our opponents. Maybe next year, in addition to better shooting, getting better shots, and better passing (assists), we improve our inside play, rebounding, and rim protecting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Shooting isn’t all that’s important to have a good team. I’m encouraged that we are recruiting some players that can rebound and block shots. Our best teams under GM averaged 8-10 more rebounds than opponents. We also had a couple of very good (Sweet 16) that averaged 6-8 more rebounds than opponents. The last two years, we only averaged 2 more rebounds or less than our opponents. Maybe next year, in addition to better shooting, getting better shots, and better passing (assists), we improve our inside play, rebounding, and rim protecting.
                      I agree on the rebounding and be.tter shot selection. We need both. Go shocks.

Comment

• Let's also not forget that our opponents often left a number of guys open because they weren't reliable shooters. We can't expect as many open looks with the same slow moving offense if we have guys that can hit.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• What's the word on TE? I know the consensus was he planned on leaving. IMO, the longer he waits to make a formal announcement, the more likely it is he returns. I'm thinking he's either declaring or coming back to WSU. Maybe waiting to see who else declares and basing his decision on that?

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post
                            What's the word on TE? I know the consensus was he planned on leaving. IMO, the longer he waits to make a formal announcement, the more likely it is he returns. I'm thinking he's either declaring or coming back to WSU. Maybe waiting to see who else declares and basing his decision on that?
                            Unless he's been taking 100% online classes, he hasn't been on campus for a while now. All of his social media has been back in New York. Going to say he's likely done with college which means no formal announcement is needed as long as he has informed the coaches

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              Let's also not forget that our opponents often left a number of guys open because they weren't reliable shooters. We can't expect as many open looks with the same slow moving offense if we have guys that can hit.
                              Well, everyone they left open is gone now, so more success is coming? Our 4’s couldn’t hit shots or rebound. Dexter was inconsistent, but he also had no inside game. Mo had no outside game.

Comment

• Two great articles on Quincy Ballard and Issac Abbide by Taylor Eldridge. One is 7 ft and the other is 6"9. Both athletic and strong. When you add in KP 6"10, IPBC 6"9, JW 6"7, JR 6"7, and bruisers Gus O 6"6 and JR 6"6 we got a front line that will not be intimidated this year. I also think these players are better offensively. I am getting excited. Go Shocks.

Comment

Working...
                                X