2022 Commits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
    3 in the portal, 3 more to go. Given the right guys, I would like to see us sign 2 juco, 2 portal, 2 HS. Go SHOX!
    What would you do with the 7th 'ship? We only used 12 this year.

I'm still in wait and see mode as I'm unsure of the level of talent that is going to be brought in.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

What would you do with the 7th 'ship? We only used 12 this year.

I'm still in wait and see mode as I'm unsure of the level of talent that is going to be brought in.
      I saw that when i hit the post button. Make it 3 portal. Thanks for keeping an eye on me.

Comment

Need a couple of Juco Juniors to be to balance out the class. Right now we have 3 seniors, 1 junior, 2 Sophomores, and 2 Freshman. Although with the portal and such balancing of classes isn't as critical as before.

Definitely need a backup PG and a couple of sharp shooters also. And a good athletic big 4.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
          Need a couple of Juco Juniors to be to balance out the class. Right now we have 3 seniors, 1 junior, 2 Sophomores, and 2 Freshman. Although with the portal and such balancing of classes isn't as critical as before.

Definitely need a backup PG and a couple of sharp shooters also. And a good athletic big 4.
          Like to see Pohto be our 4.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Like to see Pohto be our 4.
            Me too. I definitely think he has the skills and IQ to do that. Needs to bulk up though.

Comment

Me too. I definitely think he has the skills and IQ to do that. Needs to bulk up though.
              Well, we don't really have a S&C department anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Well, we don't really have a S&C department anymore.
                The good news is Pohto has admitted that he needs to get stronger and knows that. Hard to do during the season, but I'm sure he's worked with KR enough to have a plan in place. Maybe he doesn't have someone to push him, but I think KP seems like the type of person that wants to improve and do what it'll take. He's a smart kid.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I agree that KP has the IQ to pull off defending smaller 4’s. However, I’m not sold he is athletic enough. But I’m not against him getting the opportunity if he is. Coaches should know that already from watching him practice, but maybe IB isn’t smart enough of a coach.

Comment

I know it is still early, but anyone else completely underwhelmed with the recruits we are apparently chasing? Am I missing something?

That being said, considering the coaching staff, if’s probably the best we are going to get anyway.

I may be being too pessimistic. Man, I hope we can find some diamonds in the rough.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I agree that KP has the IQ to pull off defending smaller 4’s. However, I’m not sold he is athletic enough. But I’m not against him getting the opportunity if he is. Coaches should know that already from watching him practice, but maybe IB isn’t smart enough of a coach.
                      A couple things. Agree KP could have a little trouble guarding a smaller quicker dribble driver but that player would also have to be a good shooter ( pretty rare ) so KP could just sag. Another option is to play a little more zone while KP is in the line up which I've suggested before. Also, smaller fours would have difficulty guarding HIM especially if he improves his back to the basket game. I think he has real value as a big who can shoot the three. If used properly it helps create wider spacing for our own dribble drivers. I'd also add he isn't our only player that will get beat that first step. He is outstanding at help defense himself but would require the others to help him, as well.
                      Last edited by asiseeit; March 26, 2022, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                        I know it is still early, but anyone else completely underwhelmed with the recruits we are apparently chasing? Am I missing something?

That being said, considering the coaching staff, if’s probably the best we are going to get anyway.

I may be being too pessimistic. Man, I hope we can find some diamonds in the rough.
                        We've been connected with a lot of really good players so far. Doesn't mean there is mutual interest but we've been mentioned as reaching out to several I wouldn't mind landing. It's still really early in the transfer season too

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

A couple things. Agree KP could have a little trouble guarding a smaller quicker dribble driver but that player would also have to be a good shooter ( pretty rare ) so KP could just sag. Another option is to play a little more zone while KP is in the line up which I've suggested before. Also, smaller fours would have difficulty guarding HIM especially if he improves his back to the basket game. I think he has real value as a big who can shoot the three. If used properly it helps create wider spacing for our own dribble drivers. I'd also add he isn't our only player that will get beat that first step. He is outstanding at help defense himself but would require the others to help him, as well.
                          Everyone wants to have a tall team, and a lot of good teams have 6'10 4's. On paper, no one can speak out against it, because we often think about "tall" as equating talent, and we jokingly say "But we look good, walking through airports". Admittedly, the best teams often have a very explosive, athletic, ball handling, fast, jumping jack 6'10 forwards who can play on the perimeter, but they also (if they are good) can play inside. Kenny hasn't even learned to play inside yet, and he certainly isn't the strongest, most explosive, athletic player on the team.

If we are honest, Kenny is a good outside shooter, but has little other prerequisites to play on the perimeter, and playing zone defenses that we wouldn't otherwise play to cover up for an unathletic player isn't a good strategy. He isn't a good rebounder, isn't a good shot blocker, and his ability to run the full court with speed is lacking. Don't get me wrong. I think Kenny can be a good rebounder, and perhaps a good shot blocker, but he isn't there yet. Arizona had an explosive, long, athletic 4 this year, and it made them better. Imo, we don't. But the coaches should be good enough to see whether this will work or not.
                          Last edited by Shockm; March 26, 2022, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I’d be happy with 6’8” 4s and 6’5” wings. Seems like we often have 6’5” 4s and 6’-6’3 wings. Some of these undersized guys can make up for it with extreme hustle, but more often than not, we’re just undersized.

Comment

A big would be nice, but dammit, we need some freaking shooters!! We cannot win in this day shooting below 25% from 3. Or whatever the hell we shot. We were awful.
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                                A big would be nice, but dammit, we need some freaking shooters!! We cannot win in this day shooting below 25% from 3. Or whatever the hell we shot. We were awful.
                                we need both. We have a lot of holes to fill.

Comment

Working...
                                X