Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qua Grant 6'1 PG West Texas A&M (D2) a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

Is he going to be making those shots at the rim in the AAC? Is his A/TO going to improve in the AAC?
    Probably won't be breaking as many ankles in the AAC...but man...he can get into the lane fer sure and looks to be a helluva passer to dish it for the easy 2!
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Something to remember is he will be surrounded by better players also. Which could help his transition and help him grow even more. It will take pressure off of him compared to what he has in D-II. I think he will be a good piece as long as he accepts his role (whatever that might be) and puts in the work.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Just to piggyback here, per Taylor he was in the 91st percentile of offensive efficiency.

So, yeah, he’s a volume scorer in that he scored a lot of points but he does it efficiently.

Something I noted is that I don’t see a whole lot of mid range jumpers in his film. It’s mostly either penetrate and score, penetrate and dish, or shoot threes. I like that.
        Volume scorer but he averaged 34 mpg last year. 20-25 mpg next year would be more of a max.

Comment

He had a 40 point game which surpasses my career point total.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Is he going to be making those shots at the rim in the AAC? Is his A/TO going to improve in the AAC?
            Hope so.
            I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

I'm not Carnac, so can't answer those questions. My definition of a volume scorer is someone who shoots a lot of shots to get his numbers. Gilbert was a volume scorer. I might be confusing myself with a volume shooter...hell, who knows. I will return to my basement if need be.

Comment

Time will tell. I'm not overly excited.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I suppose we shall see on the first question and it will be an adjustment but I wonder, what about him as a player, not the competition he faced, leads you to believe he wouldn’t be able
                  to make those shots?

Second question depends on his coachability. Limiting turnovers has always been a focus for guards at WSU. It’s my biggest concern for him at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                    Starting of with players from JUCO and D2...

Not saying they can’t/won’t be good, but with PLENTY of experienced D1 players available, you’d think WSU could land some.
                    A lot of the success during the Marshall era was achieved with players who were overlooked, under appreciated and undervalued. JUCO, D3, no stars didn’t matter as long as you could play ball (talented) and were willing to buy in and be coached.

Obviously it remains to be seen but McFarlane and Grant seem to fit that mold.

Comment

So far I don’t think anyone has mentioned this guy averaged EIGHT boards a game two years in a row. EIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                        Starting of with players from JUCO and D2...

Not saying they can’t/won’t be good, but with PLENTY of experienced D1 players available, you’d think WSU could land some.
                        Really, really like the two guys we have commitments from. Coaching staff showing me they have an eye for talent rather than just a popular kid. This is what made this program great in recent times.

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Really, really like the two guys we have commitments from. Coaching staff showing me they have an eye for talent rather than just a popular kid. This is what made this program great in recent times.
                          Yep I like them both a lot as well. As with all signings we’ll see how they do but I like them both. Re Grant:
                          - Definite D1 body and he uses it well when he finishes...reminds me of Fred that way.
                          - quick release should help shooting translate to D1.
                          - Knack for getting to the line.
                          - Have a feeling he isn’t going to take anything for granted and will leave it all on the floor. Great opportunity and I hope he makes the most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy Graham View Post

Yep I like them both a lot as well. As with all signings we’ll see how they do but I like them both. Re Grant:
                            - Definite D1 body and he uses it well when he finishes...reminds me of Fred that way.
                            - quick release should help shooting translate to D1.
                            - Knack for getting to the line.
                            - Have a feeling he isn’t going to take anything for granted and will leave it all on the floor. Great opportunity and I hope he makes the most of it.
                            Exactly what I told my son 2 or 3 days ago ..... That the crafty way he finishes reminds me a little of Fred

Comment

Recruiting is a crapshoot somewhat. So maybe it won’t workout. You never know, but...

He had offers from many P5 programs. Looks really solid to me. Better than mannnny of the other D-1 guys we could have gotten.

Offers from MIZZOU and A&M - we signed Wade last year who had offers from no one and just went to Eastern Kentucky.

McFarlane was under the radar no doubt. This guy was not..

Comment

Excellent signing, this kid can play and we add another shooter and you can never have too many of those.

Comment

Working...
                                X