Alex Rivas - Committed to South Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Rivas - Committed to South Florida

We follow Jayhawk League JUCO ball and saw this kid from Pratt CC at one of the recent games behind the WSU bench. PCC is 12 and 0 this year.

Rivas is a defensive and rebounding animal at 6'10". He can really jump but needs some work on offense.

Avg. 7.2ppg, 11.4rpg, and 4bpg. Freshman-Not bad!
    Livin the dream

Comment

Went to Laurinburg prep, which is where Spin either coached or has some ties. I would not be surprised to see the Shox in on him.

Comment

Our last attempt to bring in a kid from Pratt CC didn't work out so well - cough - Jared Young - cough.

The guy looks like he could be a major defensive presence, but I'd be a little concerned that bringing in a juco big man might delay the development of Durley and/or Bowles.

On the other hand, with our group of guards that will be seniors next year, we need to take advantage of it and if MT thinks we need a juco post player to do that, then so be it.

Comment

Re: Alex Rivas

Originally posted by verbatim
          We follow Jayhawk League JUCO ball and saw this kid from Pratt CC at one of the recent games behind the WSU bench. PCC is 12 and 0 this year.

Rivas is a defensive and rebounding animal at 6'10". He can really jump but needs some work on offense.

http://www.prattcc.edu/college/athle...lex_rivas.html
          Given that Turgeon's stated philosophy is that if he finds a gifted athlete who can shoot he can teach him to play defense this seems an improbable recruit. After watching the big men from Syracuse blow lay-up after lay-up, I'm glad that Mark recruits shooters. There is a "feel" to shooting that is hard to teach while defense simply requires instruction, attitude, and hard work.
          The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
            Our last attempt to bring in a kid from Pratt CC didn't work out so well - cough - Jared Young - cough.

The guy looks like he could be a major defensive presence, but I'd be a little concerned that bringing in a juco big man might delay the development of Durley and/or Bowles.

On the other hand, with our group of guards that will be seniors next year, we need to take advantage of it and if MT thinks we need a juco post player to do that, then so be it.
            This guy wouldn't be playing next year. He would be here once Sean/Matt/PJ/Phillip graduated. IF Butler and Brown were able to play the wing, and/or some of our bigs didn't work out (see Grundvic, Mijajlovic, Green, Walls, Bangle) this kid could fit in nicely! He would be in Durley and Browns class, but I could see him comming off the bench to back up Bowles.

tgc is right, however. MT has not yet brought in this "type" of player to WSU and would go against what we have seen in the past. However, if the kid is interested (sat behind the bench at a game) I doubt MT has passed on him yet.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Was he a qualifier coming into Pratt? Could he play D-1 next season?

Comment

I was going to say, just because he's a freshman doesn't mean he couldn't come in next year. Don't know how the numbers thing would work out with that though.

Maybe the staff is keeping up with him now and would wait until next year to see how our bigs work out and see if we need any help down low.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

For some reason I thought he was a freshman last year.

In that case, if he were to come here I would definitely see him as a backup. And it wouldn't be that bad for your backup center to be a shot-blocking rebounder. So what if he can't shoot. We wouldn't need him to!

And what a great type of player to have on the bench for late in close games when MT needs to do substitutions for offense vs. defense.

Comment

I would say it's time to catch the Hutch vs. Pratt game at the Sports Arena, but it's the same night as our Bracket Busters game.

My boss is a HCC season-ticket holder so maybe I can have him give me a scouting report.

Comment

re:

He had 11 pts, 17 rebounds, and 7 blocks in one game according to this stat sheet:

Comment

Re: re:

Originally posted by Uncle Rico
                        He had 11 pts, 17 rebounds, and 7 blocks in one game according to this stat sheet:

http://www.kjccc.org/basketball/0607...t/box_261.html
                        :good:

Comment

He's got the hair to be a Shocker
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

We could use a big, athletic glasswipe on the roster!

:goshocks:

Comment

Re: Alex Rivas

Originally posted by tgcshock
                              Originally posted by verbatim

http://www.prattcc.edu/college/athle...lex_rivas.html
                              Given that Turgeon's stated philosophy is that if he finds a gifted athlete who can shoot he can teach him to play defense this seems an improbable recruit. After watching the big men from Syracuse blow lay-up after lay-up, I'm glad that Mark recruits shooters. There is a "feel" to shooting that is hard to teach while defense simply requires instruction, attitude, and hard work.
                              You can't teach height. Those eleven blocks that 'Cuse got against us has more to do with the players' daddys than it does with the coach!

We desperately need a BCS-type post player that is athletic, mobile, and aggressive. 6'10"+!!!

T

...8)

Comment

Working...
                              X