Jamahri Harvey, 6'4" G, 2020 to UNC-Wilmington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    but I think AG will be more likely to find a teammate to dump off to than JB would.
    I think you are I are seeing the same thing. That AG has some instincts that JB doesn’t seem to have have. I was re-watching our game against UCONN in January and I was impressed with Gilbert’s ability to penetrate, but it was also easy to see that he had that extra sense and ability to see team mates that were open or about to be open even with congestion around both AG and others in the lane (Fred has that extra sense too). The problem was that the window to make a nifty pass Could close quickly. His decision making was the problem and he forced it sometimes turning the ball over. He was really close to being successful sometimes but he lacked the execution that his brain saw. Burton doesn’t seem to have that extra sense imo. Thus, he wouldn’t have either a turn over or assist. Burton did get better at using his strength and height in the lane to get off shots and sometimes 3 point plays.

Comment

FVV had a nasty stop-and-go drive. We thought it was just to throw off a defender so Fred could get to the hoop. I beleive Fred used that stop-and-go to set up the timing and spacing to make a decision whether to pass to a post player whose defender had moved too close to Fred or whether to go to the hoop himself. Sort of like a quarterback running an option play. Read the defender and then make the decision.

That's why a guy who's too slow, too small, not athletic enough, and not quick enough to play in the NBA is excelling in the NBA. Gilbert probably has some of that in his game. None of last year's PG's did. A good PG makes the rest of the players on the floor better. If AG can make TE and DD better, we're in pretty good shape.

Last year we didn't have any PG's who could drive the lane, let alone set up timing and spacing and make decisions on the fly based on defensive reactions to their drive.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        FVV had a nasty stop-and-go drive. We thought it was just to throw off a defender so Fred could get to the hoop. I beleive Fred used that stop-and-go to set up the timing and spacing to make a decision whether to pass to a post player whose defender had moved too close to Fred or whether to go to the hoop himself. Sort of like a quarterback running an option play. Read the defender and then make the decision.

That's why a guy who's too slow, too small, not athletic enough, and not quick enough to play in the NBA is excelling in the NBA. Gilbert probably has some of that in his game. None of last year's PG's did. A good PG makes the rest of the players on the floor better. If AG can make TE and DD better, we're in pretty good shape.

Last year we didn't have any PG's who could drive the lane, let alone set up timing and spacing and make decisions on the fly based on defensive reactions to their drive.
        Very good observation. Fred's stop-and-go, change of pace, misdirection moves are about as good as your will ever see and his feel for knowing how to set up the defense is just something to behold.

Comment

AG is a true PG, and you can't really teach that. It's about the timing and instinct. Drives, and finding not only the perfect timing on a pass, but they somehow always seem to find the wide open man at the perfect time.

​​​​I bet we'll see a ton of awesome bullet passes fired to TE, DD, and I bet even JB. And right when they expect a bullet pass, that's when he'll already be keeping the defense honest, driving to the hole.

I just realized about Hurley, but I'd love to see what his thoughts/guidance were / was to AG in regards to coming to Shocker Nation? He helped AG with his decision, so if that's the case, surely he had some great things to say?

Comment

I think that Shocker history with Fred as our undersized point guard that has succeeded beyond most of the experts wildest expectations is a benefit to getting a commitment from a McDonalds AA that is 6’ tall.

Comment

Why do we bother having subject threads? Why don’t we just make every post a free for all.

Comment

I had a stupid thought that there might be some new news about Harvey. How silly of me!

Comment

Originally posted by calfan View Post
                  I had a stupid thought that there might be some new news about Harvey. How silly of me!
                  Take some Midol and go get some fresh air.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Take some Midol and go get some fresh air.
                    But don't forget to take your mask!

Comment

Looks like Harvey’s making an announcement of some kind at 3 today. Not really sure that there’s still a spot on our roster for him, but might be something to monitor.

Comment

Maybe Elon with Jadun. Seems like they are tight. Where did you see he was making an announcement?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                          Maybe Elon with Jadun. Seems like they are tight. Where did you see he was making an announcement?
                          Yeah I think that would be a good landing spot for him.

He posted an all black picture with the caption “3 pm” on his Instagram.

Comment

I’d be surprised to see him commit to us at this point. I’m a fan of 3G using the last two scholies on a JUCO big and a transfer big like Nyiwe and Ivanauskus.

Comment

The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                                James Madison
                                UNC Wilmington
                                Hofstra
                                Southern Mississippi

i bet it’s James Madison. Plays Elon twice a year.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X