No announcement yet.

Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBPC and Mo right now aren’t the answer except for occasional fill in sub roles. Neither of them are as athletic as we need, or tall enough to protect the rim, or good enough shooters to spread the other teams defense out. The opposition just doesn’t need to respect them enough to help their other Shocker team mates.

Comment

I don't think we have to get pigeonholed into a Center. Most teams are playing 2x PFs. Barely anyone has more than one center. I think part of that is the game is moving away from the post because kids are bigger and more athletic.

I would take a 6'9 PF who can be effective in a pick and role by being able to catch the ball going to the basket or hit a 15-18 foot jumper.

I hope AM turns out and plays really well next year, but is a 4 year scholarship worth one good year? The ROI doesn't seem worth it.

Comment

We have a lot of holes
        Last edited by pinstripers; March 13, 2020, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          We have a lot of holes
          A big black hole...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

A big black hole...

I was expecting to see the gif of the guy plugging the holes with his finger only to spring another leak.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I was expecting to see the gif of the guy plugging the holes with his finger only to spring another leak.
              Unfortunately, I’m not smart enough to post gifs from my iPad or I would have.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I am not going to start another thread, because there are enough already to make my head hurt. We have many holes to fill no doubt. Here is my armchair take:

Class Breakdown:
                * We have 9 players (at this point) returning/coming in for 2020-21. Two freshmen (Bilau and Michael); two sophomores (Sherfield and Etienne); three juniors (Dennis, Udeze and Poor Bear); and two seniors (Wade and Mitgaard).

Position Breakdown:
                * PG (Sherfield)
                * SG (Etienne) -- Dennis can also play here at times
                * SF (Dennis/Michael) -- Wade can also play here at times
                * PF (Wade and Bilau) -- Poor Bear can also play here at times
                * C (Mitaard, Udeze, Poor Bear) -- Bilau can also play here at times

Recruiting Need By Class (4):
                * 2 freshmen
                * 1 juco transfer
                * 1 senior transfer
                ++ this would go towards a better class ratio

Recruiting Need By Position (4):
                * PG -- need a point guard first player (prefer a juco or senior transfer)
                * CG -- need a combo guard to play both guard positions
                * SF -- need a small forward with the ability to play SG if needed
                * C -- need post player (prefer a juco or senior transfer)

Analysis: We need 3 players (which Marshall likes to have) to play PG. This includes Sherfield, another PG first and a combo guard (preferably 6-2 or 6-3 to be able to have the size to play SG). Etienne, the combo guard and Dennis will be able to fill the SG position nicely. Dennis has a chance to be an All-AAC SF. Michael appears to have the chops to be an adequate backup here. Wade and Bilau appear to be able to handle the PF position. In a pinch Poor Bear can play some minutes as well. The post position is my biggest concern. Mitgaard, Udeze and Poor Bear are not even close to being the answer. They are all backups at best. This is where we need a quality juco or senior transfer big man.

Don't be surprised if a new recruit comes from a land far-far-away.

Talk amongst yourselves...

Last edited by SHOXAAC; March 14, 2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Unfortunately, I’m not smart enough to post gifs from my iPad or I would have.
                  And I don't know to with a crappy cell.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                    I am not going to start another thread, because there are enough already to make my head hurt. We have many holes to fill no doubt. Here is my armchair take:

Class Breakdown:
                    * We have 9 players (at this point) returning/coming in for 2020-21. Two freshmen (Bilau and Michael); two sophomores (Sherfield and Etienne); three juniors (Dennis, Udeze and Poor Bear); and two seniors (Wade and Mitgaard).

Position Breakdown:
                    * PG (Sherfield)
                    * SG (Etienne) -- Dennis can also play here at times
                    * SF (Dennis/Michael) -- Wade can also play here at times
                    * PF (Wade and Bilau) -- Poor Bear can also play here at times
                    * C (Mitaard, Udeze, Poor Bear) -- Bilau can also play here at times

Recruiting Need By Class (4):
                    * 2 freshmen
                    * 1 juco transfer
                    * 1 senior transfer
                    ++ this would go towards a better class ratio

Recruiting Need By Position (4):
                    * PG -- need a point guard first player (prefer a juco or senior transfer)
                    * CG -- need a combo guard to play both guard positions
                    * SF -- need a small forward with the ability to play SG if needed
                    * C -- need post player (prefer a juco or senior transfer)

Analysis: We need 3 players (which Marshall likes to have) to play PG. This includes Sherfield, another PG first and a combo guard (preferably 6-2 or 6-3 to be able to have the size to play SG). Etienne, the combo guard and Dennis will be able to fill the SG position nicely. Dennis has a chance to be an All-AAC SF. Michael appears to have the chops to be an adequate backup here. Wade and Bilau appear to be able to handle the PF position. In a pinch Poor Bear can play some minutes as well. The post position is my biggest concern. Mitgaard, Udeze and Poor Bear are not even close to being the answer. They are all backups at best. This is where we need a quality juco or senior transfer big man.

Don't be surprised if a new recruit comes from a land far-far-away.

Talk amongst yourselves...
                    Hoping for size.
                    Hoping for some makers.
                    Hoping for a driver.
                    Hoping for a good movement player than can circle the perimeter, run the baseline, use screens well, catch, shoot, score, and get fouled making the and-one on his way to dropping 38 points and 10 assists against an actual Top 20 ranked opponent, not necessarily one of the dozens of teams in the big10 that fit that so-called description (heavy handed sarcasm intended).

Comment

We all want some dynamic players. Give me some names. No sense in wasting scholarships on any players
                      that are not as good as the ones we already have. I'd keep a couple in the bank to pounce quickly.

Comment

1. Must have a center who can give us 20 minutes a game.
                        2. Must have a legit point guard.
                        3. Must have a player, perhaps two, who can drive.
                        4. Must have a player who can serve as our third PG.

Comment

1. Must have a center who can give us 20 minutes a game.
                          2. Must have a legit point guard.
                          3. Must have a player, perhaps two, who can drive.
                          4. Must have a player who can serve as our third PG.
                          I wonder how our F4 year would have turned out if we only had FVV and Williams at the point? And as we know, FVV is a rare commodity. Armstead meant a lot to Fred's fast growth that year. If a freshman, I believe the PG you're looking for would be gone in 1 to 2 years. I'll cross my fingers and maybe that will help. We most likely need an experienced PG (think transfer) who can finish his college career on an up note and take some pressure off of GS.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                            Hoping for size.
                            Hoping for some makers.
                            Hoping for a driver.
                            Hoping for a good movement player than can circle the perimeter, run the baseline, use screens well, catch, shoot, score, and get fouled making the and-one on his way to dropping 38 points and 10 assists against an actual Top 20 ranked opponent, not necessarily one of the dozens of teams in the big10 that fit that so-called description (heavy handed sarcasm intended).
                            That's what she said!

Comment

OK, we need another big guy to share the 5 spot. A Grad transfer would be nice. Also, we need a third PG, or somebody who ca play the point in a pinch, at least. So much for not using a couple of the slots.

Comment

Also, we need a third PG, or somebody who ca play the point in a pinch, at least. So much for not using a couple of the slots.
                                And you don't think we have anyone like that at this point?
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 6, 2020, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X