Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good point

Comment

I tend to look at this year's roster, at least at this point, as the knowns and unknowns:

Knowns (which doesn't mean there is no upside, but these guys all are experienced D-1 players and know what to expect and know 3G's system):
      Rags, D-Will, Toure, Ben, DK and Garrett

Unknowns (guys with little to no D-1 experience and little to no experience with 3G's system):
      EO, Carl Hall, James Anacreon, Jake White, Ede E, Evan Wessel, Tekele Cotton and Ron Baker

The Knowns provide us with a nice core of very experienced players to build around (5 Seniors and 1 Junior all with a lot of PT).

Among the unknowns I would think Carl Hall is probably the surest bet to be able to step in and contribute in a significant way from the get go.

Beyond that it is very difficult to say which of the other guys are the most ready and can adjust to 3G's system and the rigors of D-1 play the best.
      I know the most about EO and, unfortunately, what I know, at this point, is that he is still a project.

I would expect a lot of fits and starts with the group of Unkowns. They will probably show us the occassional sign of greatness and they will also show the occassional sign that they have a big growth curve in front of them.

So we have a very experienced group of 6 core returners surrounded by an intriguing, yet very inexperienced and unproven group of 8 new players (I've chosen to disregard the true walk-ons). We are replacing JT, Gabe, Aaron and Graham from this group of new players. That will not be easy to do.

Trying to predict how this is all going to shake out is a WAG at best. We might be very good or not so good. My guess is we will see a lot of inconsistency, at least early in the year. However, the upside for this team is very high and I hope we see rapid movment up the learning curve as the year progresses.

It will be a very, very interesting team to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
        I tend to look at this year's roster, at least at this point, as the knowns and unknowns:

Knowns (which doesn't mean there is no upside, but these guys all are experienced D-1 players and know what to expect and know 3G's system):
        Rags, D-Will, Toure, Ben, DK and Garrett

Unknowns (guys with little to no D-1 experience and little to no experience with 3G's system):
        EO, Carl Hall, James Anacreon, Jake White, Ede E, Evan Wessel, Tekele Cotton and Ron Baker

So we have a very experienced group of 6 core returners surrounded by an intriguing, yet very inexperienced and unproven group of 8 new players (I've chosen to disregard the true walk-ons). We are replacing JT, Gabe, Aaron and Graham from this group of new players. That will not be easy to do.

This is interesting. If you compare it with last year you would have had:

Knowns:
        D-Will, Toure, Garrett, Hatch, Durley, Blair

In the unknown list would have been (some would be surprised to see DK and Ellis in there, but neither were tearing it up the year before -- Ellis' senior year was a _very_ pleasant surprise):
        Ellis, DK, Rags, Smith (among others)

So this year is actually pretty similar to the prior year, IMHO -- however there is a little larger gap between the Knowns and Unknowns in terms of experience, but a _narrower_ gap between the two groups in terms of athletic ability and over all skills.

For example, I think we knew DK would step up and rock it out. Sorta like we know Hall will. But Hall doesn't have the benefit of being in HC3GM's system like Kyle was the year prior. Still Hall seems more like Smith who can contribute substantially right from the get-go.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Actually I am expecting more out of the newcomers out of the chute. I think the 5 games in South America was good for them to get broke in (Except for Anacreon), and initiated them into 3G's way of doing things.

I hope that 3G puts our best players on the court, and evaluates the Freshmen in the same light as all the other players. You know many times you can have a player at one position, and the player that relieves that player can bring a different set of skills than the 1st player.

I just want our team to really gel together into very good team play. (And, I especially want to beat Creighton and Northern Iowa this year).

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
            Originally posted by pogo
            I agree with Dan in that freshmen of the future are going to find it tough to get alot of minutes because there will be talented upper class MEN in front of them. This is good.
            But it may also may mean you completely miss on a recruiting class or two. I think that happened to Turgeon in the 2006 recruiting class since we were going to return so much the next year.

An impact player will want to come in and at least see some PT in their freshman year and be in the regular rotation or a starter by the time they are sophomores.

I'm not saying our current situation is a bad thing. Just that there is a potential downside.
            IF many of the "unknown" and new recruits become quality players, I believe you can miss out on a number of similar players in future classes, however, I believe you increase your chances of landing an impact type player. Hypothetically, if Ellis was one or two more years removed and over the next two years the Shocks made the Dance, maybe won a few games, would our chances of landing him become greater? If he cannot win a spot getting minutes on this type of Shocker team, he certainly is not on a KU.

I'm sure Mark Few's strategy of recruiting has changed as the fortunes of Gonzaga has increased. The only way an Xavier, Butler, or Gonzaga will be able to compete on the highest level (say top 25-30) is to have a lot of quality depth or have an impact player or two surrounded by good players and a little depth. A high caliber player will give you much more consideration if he thinks he is the only missing link in making quality team a great team.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
              Actually I am expecting more out of the newcomers out of the chute. I think the 5 games in South America was good for them to get broke in (Except for Anacreon), and initiated them into 3G's way of doing things.

I hope that 3G puts our best players on the court, and evaluates the Freshmen in the same light as all the other players. You know many times you can have a player at one position, and the player that relieves that player can bring a different set of skills than the 1st player.

I just want our team to really gel together into very good team play. (And, I especially want to beat Creighton and Northern Iowa this year).
              The big change of pace I would expect would be if White was the backup for Hall. Hall moving over to cover for Stutz would be a bit of a change. EO subbing for Stutz would be a monster change of pace.

Where I would expect things to stay pretty similar would be
              DWill for Rags
              Kyles for Murry
              Ede for Smith
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
              X