Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Josaphat Bilau 6'10 PF/C 2019 a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I look at Bilau for like Orukpe. Totally unknown player with a freakish build. We have no idea what we’re gonna get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      I look at Bilau for like Orukpe. Totally unknown player with a freakish build. We have no idea what we’re gonna get.
      We actually did get a glimpse of him at Shocker Madness or maybe it was the preseason scrimmage; he was a beast on the boards and hit a long trey... has a smooth stroke. Yes, small sample size, but had me salivating and thinking...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        I think Bilau is the most interesting prospect Marshall has had. Hold that. Baker, being unrated, coming out of a small western Kansas small town and getting 3 years in the NBA has got to be the most interesting Marshall recruit. Baker's situation comes up maybe once a century.

Bilau is fascinating because his range of possibilities ranges from "decent" D1 player to NBA SF with a long career..

Bilau is certainly not an NBA prospect now. Neither were Baker, VanVleet, Shamet, or Early when they got to WSU.
        Totally agree. This guy has a ton of potential. And if anybody can get it out of him it is Coach Marshall. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Can’t help but look at Bilau and see similarities with Precious Achiuwa. Hey, a man can dream.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
            Can’t help but look at Bilau and see similarities with Precious Achiuwa. Hey, a man can dream.
            For sure a similar hairdo...
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Bilau has a lot of development that has to take place to become a legitimate NCAA Div. 1 basketball player. I see him ultimately developing into a Power Forward in the NBA like Pascal Siakam for the Toronto Raptors. Siakam graduated from New Mexico State as a very good shot blocker who could run fast and dunk. Bilau can already shoot better than Siakam could but he needs to develop inside footwork fundamentals/moves and defensive fundamentals on how to guard and front another player, and then how to guard/hedge screens/switching, etc. Then he can learn how to guard players on the perimeter, learn perimeter ball handling skills, and moves from the perimeter.

Anyone who has watched Siakam develop knows how long it takes to learn and develop these skills. He has taken on and learned more skills since K. Leonard left to the Clippers. It is a long process and i know that Marshall will simplify it as much as he can so that Bilau can develop.

Comment

• The difference between Orukpe and Bilau is that Orukpe was more of an inside player and Bilau is more of an outside player. Bilau is a lot better shooter than Orukpe ever was. Orukpe probably came into WSU as a better defender than Bilau, but I think that Bilau will become just as good of a defender given that he'll have 2 more years than Orukpe to work on it under Marshall.

Comment

• I see him becoming more like a Fred VanFleet

Comment

• Did we ever get an answer to the question about how much Josephat is able to participate in practices and to actually work on his game or is he still limited by injury/health issues?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                      Can’t help but look at Bilau and see similarities with Precious Achiuwa. Hey, a man can dream.
                      I like that comparison (and the Siakam one).

From what I remember from those few minutes we’ve seen, JB was light and quick on his feet like PA.

If he can develop the skill set (ball-handling being the #1 thing that will help him and any player of his size) needed, he has a very high ceiling.
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                        Don’t forget Orukpe. Also a fascinating prospect with that body and athleticism...just not a basketball player.
                        Give me four months with Orupke and I could turn him into an amazing keeper!
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Give me four months with Orupke and I could turn him into an amazing keeper!
                          So I guess you are the Keymaster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

I like that comparison (and the Siakam one).

From what I remember from those few minutes we’ve seen, JB was light and quick on his feet like PA.

If he can develop the skill set (ball-handling being the #1 thing that will help him and any player of his size) needed, he has a very high ceiling.
                            His ball handling skills are amazing for his height.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                              The difference between Orukpe and Bilau is that Orukpe was more of an inside player and Bilau is more of an outside player. Bilau is a lot better shooter than Orukpe ever was. Orukpe probably came into WSU as a better defender than Bilau, but I think that Bilau will become just as good of a defender given that he'll have 2 more years than Orukpe to work on it under Marshall.
                              This was my thought as well. I remember watching the first (and maybe the only) video of him when he came on our radar and he was draining outside shots. Granted, no one was in his face but IIRC, Orupke struggled at the line, let alone have any sort of outside game. And Belau seems to have some decent handles for a dude his size.

1972Shocker I don’t believe we ever did get a definitive answer on his availability for/to practice.

Comment

• I have no problem with him at 6’10 and 230-240 playing outside, but he needs how to do a little banging, screening, rebounding, blocking shots, and scoring inside first. That is learning inside fundamentals first (with his inexperience). Then they will have to respect him enough and he can expand to the outside. He will not be effective if he can’t rebound, etc. His ability as. Stretch 5/4 to go along with DG, and MU next year will allow us to make another step up. First things first grasshopper. He’s still learning how to play the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X