2011-2012 and 2012-2013 Status of Scholarship Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wufan
    They have told GT that he has to wait until spring to see if his academics are in order (which I am doubtful).
    And even if he does manage to qualify adjustments would be needed to free up a scholarship.

I'm thinking that with DG in hand (verbally anyway) that they may feel they have signed the equal (or better) of GT.

They might encourage GT to go the JUCO route with the idea of signing him down the line if he doesn't blow up (or down).

Then again GT may be leaning towards other options anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      They have told GT that he has to wait until spring to see if his academics are in order (which I am doubtful).
      And even if he does manage to qualify adjustments would be needed to free up a scholarship.

I'm thinking that with DG in hand (verbally anyway) that they may feel they have signed the equal (or better) of GT.

They might encourage GT to go the JUCO route with the idea of signing him down the line if he doesn't blow up (or down).

I will be very sad if he ends up at MSU.
      Livin the dream

Comment

I will be very sad if he ends up at MSU.
        I would like to see GT here as well, however, sometimes the timing and/or grades just don't work out. You have a player in Green who wants to be here, I assume has his grades in order, and may be an equal to GT. What would you do?

Comment

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that either one or both (Armstead and Mitchell) have been told that we want you to come to WSU and we'll treat you like any of our players who have scholarships, but we give you no promises.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster
            I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that either one or both (Armstead and Mitchell) have been told that we want you to come to WSU and we'll treat you like any of our players who have scholarships, but we give you no promises.
            I find this highly likely.

Comment

If I am following everything correctly, a questionable assumption, we have five scholarships available for next year due to graduation of our 5 Seniors.

Assuming Ron Baker goes on scholarship next year as anticipated and with the addition of Cleanthony Early, Double V, Derail Green and Henry Uwadiae as scholarship players that fills us up.

Absent any other roster changes we have no scholarships available for either Malcom Armstead or Joe Mitchell.

Furthermore, that would pretty much seem to signal and end to our recruitment of Gavin Thurman also.

Adjustments can be made I suppose, but at this point none are obvious.

Please correct me if I am missing something.
              This sounds pretty correct to me.

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker
                Why? Neither are currently on scholarship. When Baker verballed, the article mentioned that he would pay his own way and then be on scholarship. No such mention of financial aid occurred for either Armstead or Mitchell.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Why? Neither are currently on scholarship. When Baker verballed, the article mentioned that he would pay his own way and then be on scholarship. No such mention of financial aid occurred for either Armstead or Mitchell.
                  Read closer. The original post by shockmonster makes no mention of receiving a scholarship. He wrote that they would be TREATED like scholarship players and would get NO promises. In other words, playing time, future scholarship, etc. have not been promised to these kids. They have only been given a spot on the team and a chance to prove themselves.

This is not uncommon for invited walk-ons.

Comment

Read closer. The original post by shockmonster makes no mention of receiving a scholarship. He wrote that they would be TREATED like scholarship players and would get NO promises. In other words, playing time, future scholarship, etc. have not been promised to these kids. They have only been given a spot on the team and a chance to prove themselves.

This is not uncommon for invited walk-ons.
                    I retract my question. I think we have a somantic disagreement, not a real one.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Correction

Actually, 1972, I believe you're on target about 2012-3. I had miscounted in another post elsewhere, but upon further review I count 13 scholarship players on board or committed, plus Armstead and Mitchell.

Specifically, the potential 2012-3 group is as follows:

Orukpe, Hall, Anacreon, Williams, and Armstead as seniors;
                      Early and Mitchell (assuming he gets his release) as juniors;
                      White as a sophomore;
                      Egharevba, Wessel, Cotton, and Baker as either sophomores or freshmen depending on who redshirts this coming year; and
                      Uwadiae, Green, and Van Vleet as incoming freshmen (some of whom may also redshirt).

Comment

I don't think even the 1980's teams that were consistently ranked in the top 10 had this kind of depth.

I don't think the current group has a Levingston, Carr, or McDaniel among them, but...

...the X-Man wasn't a higher-ranked recruit than several of the incoming players.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

You can't tell me that winning the NIT Championship didn't help our recruiting. I think it helped a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                            ...the X-Man wasn't a higher-ranked recruit than several of the incoming players.
                            Not sure about that Aargh? IIRC, X-Man was considered a top 50 player by some publications. Of course my memory is suspect most of the time.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I am too young to remember, but my Dad said he was just another recruit...perhaps that was because we signed two Wichita AAs the same year, however.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Tyrone Corbin was X man's teammate that everyone wanted.

He ended up at Depaul.

X wasn't highly recruited.

Comment

Working...
                                X