2011-2012 and 2012-2013 Status of Scholarship Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 Status of Scholarship Players

I hope this is accurate. If not, let me know and I will make corrections right away.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Nice job RDR. I have seen Armstead play and he most likely will get a ship. Thus, does that mean all 12 ships are full for 2012-13? For some reason, I thought we still had a ship left to offer for next Season.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Nope

Teams are allowed 13, not 12, FSF.

No telling whether Armstead will be among them. It would be unusual if he isn't, but it's also somewhat unusual for a transfer not to be on scholarship during the year he sits following his transfer, so who knows? Clearly the Shocks are still recruiting, and I get the impression they're trying to fill more than one spot for 2012-3 -- but that could also be an erroneous assumption on my part.

Comment

5 Sr's out - 3 Fr and Armstead in leaves one scholarship still available.

It seems WSU might be considering a package deal for Hawkins and a teammate. We're still recruiting Hield, Ellis, Thurman, Early - apparently hard. I think Marshall is looking for two more commits.

I'd certainly take a front court player who would be a Jr next year. I'm not real fond of Orukpe and Uwadiae being the available post players. I could be wrong on that, but right now that looks like a potentail weakness in 2012-13.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Hall

Carl Hall will be counted on as a post player, too, Aargh. Jake White's also a PF, and Anacreon is apparently suited to that role too; Egharevba may also be able to play PF usefully.

Still, there are 80 minutes to fill at the C and PF spots, so it seems likely that WSU will want at least one more guy in a post role.

Comment

I tend to agree with the scenario that the you all are coming up with (looking for 2 more players). However, to play a little devils advocate and add some balance to this conversation, unless FSF has some inside information (which it doesn't sound like), a good number of Shockernetters when we found out about Armstead just knew that he was getting a scholarship this year already. That proved to be wrong when they continued to recruit players and ended up with Anacreon.

Comment

I will add that it's nice to be recruiting quality recruits. Every finalist that we have listed (especially Ellis, Hawkins, Early, and Yates) are good players.

Comment

Very nice graphic. Thanks.
                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster
                  I will add that it's nice to be recruiting quality recruits. Every finalist that we have listed (especially Ellis, Hawkins, Early, and Yates) are good players.
                  And Gavin Thurman says,WTF???
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

yes gavin thurman too.

Comment

I have amended the original chart by adding the positions of the players. See parenthesis adjacent to each players' name.

Perhaps it will give clarity to positions, which need attention in the near term.

I probably have some errors. Some players may play multiple positions and I have not noted it properly.

Also, I was not so sure about Anacreon's position.

Murry could play the point, but I doubt, if he will this coming season. I could be wrong.

Williams could play the 2, but we are so loaded with 2 players, I do not think he will do so to any significant extent.

If y'all have recommendations for changes, I will amend the chart.

(I removed the chart to avoid horizontal scrolling. Also, I updated the chart. See below.)
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Williams will probably see a good amount of time at the 2 guard as a senior. I have heard that Ede Egharevba can defend the 2-4. At 6'6" he could match-up well with the under sized 4s and 4 guard sets we see in the Valley. I think Anacreon sees himself as a combo forward, not sure what the coaches think.

Comment

Pretty sure Anacreon is strictly a 4. I think that's what he played at Lake Land, however, I think he could have some flexibility to play the 3.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_
                            Pretty sure Anacreon is strictly a 4. I think that's what he played at Lake Land, however, I think he could have some flexibility to play the 3.
                            I read where he viewed himself as a three, but he knew he would be a good fit in the MVC due to the types of players (tweener forwards) that often play the four. To me, that makes him a good candidate to play mainly the PF position with the ability to play the SF depending on opponents.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
                              Originally posted by _kai_
                              I read where he viewed himself as a three, but he knew he would be a good fit in the MVC due to the types of players (tweener forwards) that often play the four. To me, that makes him a good candidate to play mainly the PF position with the ability to play the SF depending on opponents.
                              His size definitely points towards a 3/4 hybrid depending on the squad Coach has in the game. We all know Gregg likes to run multiple line ups at different times.

I think Anacreon would be a good fit for subbing in for Hall at the 4, when Stutz is in the line up, but could also see him play the 4 if we're running a smaller quicker line up.

Something like this:

5- Hall
                              4- Anacreon
                              3- Murry
                              2- Kyles
                              1- Ragland

Adding Anacreon to the line up really gave us some nice depth at the post this year, since we'll have a mixture of all kinds of Forward options with Hall, Anacreon, Murry, Smith, and White getting minutes during the game at the 3 and 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X