3 Down, 1 to Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
    Yeah, but you've made my point, thank you. What kind of March success did those converted shooting guards have? I don't think any of them would ever be confused with James Harden.
    My point is that the system may have to adjust for the players on the roster instead of unsuccessful trying to make the players adjust for the system. It appears that’s how our recruiting is going right now. I think the offense will look vastly different with the players we are signing vs if we would retained Lomax.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
      ShockingButTrue commented
      Editing a comment
      It does appear that's the case so far, yes. But this ain't the NBA. At the college level, success pretty much depends on having outstanding guard play.

Even if Nova wasn't hitting 3's they still weren't going to lose to the Chickens, not with with Brunson running the point. Not that I'm expecting a Brunson, but I'm hoping for a player who has played "point" since he was in the 6th grade, if you know what I mean. Even if just to groom off of the bench behind a juco guy (Torres).

How much better are the Rockets with C. Paul at the point vs. Harden?

• Steeleshocker
      Steeleshocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep in mind that our offense this past season with a "non-PG" was the most potent Marshall has ever had. We could easily drop 80 on anyone. The problem was stopping teams.

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I doubt if we will ever have a Fred again. I wish we would but he probably was a Top 5 Point guard in 2015-16. Landry won the 2017 MVC Tournament by a 20 point average and a 4 Seed in 2018. Joe Ragland went undefeated in the 2011 NIT, and a 5 Seed in 2012. Clevin wasn’t on a talented team. Toure really became a Point guard in the NBA.

Joe played point guard on his Juco team as did Clevin ( who shared the point guard duties with Armstead). Armstead shared PG duties with Fred in 2013 (Armstead played shooting guard when Fred was in too). Landry also played some point guard in high school.

The one thing that set Fred and Armstead apart from the others were that they were the verbal and figurative Team Leader. It was their team and they were natural leaders. The others didn’t have that naturally. I hope we find that type of leadership in one of our PGs.
    How about NCAA success, between all of them, combined? Good try though. I almost changed my mind.

Bottom line:" WSU is in desperate need of a point guard, not only for competition for senior S. Haynes-Jones but also because the Shockers don't have another point guard on the roster after L. Shamet declared for the NBA draft and A. Lomax was released from his LOI." That was what E. Taylor had to say about the situation, and that was before A. Reaves decided to transfer.

Comment

• Fred definitely had lots of success in March and since we probably won't get another Fred and since you say we desperately need another Fred, we must be DOOMED.

Comment

• Ndiaye, Burton, Alveraz.

Darkhorse: Bryant
        The Assman

Comment

• TxShox
          TxShox commented
          Editing a comment
          I would love to see the three you mention, especially Ndiaye, put on a Shockers uniform.

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

According to Arkansas Hoops, Reaves has already been contacted by Maryland, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Butler, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Northern Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan, and Auburn
        If he went to UNI, at least they would have someone who can take a charge without flopping.

Comment

• I'm changing my wishlist to Ndiaye, Burton, Bryant. If there was an update on Myreon Jones, I would add him to the list but there hasn't been anything about him and interest with WSU. I get that landing a pg is ideal, but I think these three guys are the best guys we have left that share interest with WSU.

Comment

• I'm still thinking we need two more guards and a forward. Would like a freshman guard, either Jamarius Burton or Neftali Alvarez, and then grab either Ehab Amin or Ricky Torres. Really like the upside we've heard about on Abdou Ndiaye.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
            I'm still thinking we need two more guards and a forward. Would like a freshman guard, either Jamarius Burton or Neftali Alvarez, and then grab either Ehab Amin or Ricky Torres. Really like the upside we've heard about on Abdou Ndiaye.
            Would be elated if we sign Burton, Torres, and AN for our final 3 signings.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
              I'm still thinking we need two more guards and a forward. Would like a freshman guard, either Jamarius Burton or Neftali Alvarez, and then grab either Ehab Amin or Ricky Torres. Really like the upside we've heard about on Abdou Ndiaye.
              One of the 3 really needs to be a non-Freshman. Otherwise we will have a similar situation in 4 years when Rod Brown, Stevenson, Udeze, Moore, Chandler, Dennis, and 3 TBD Freshman (assuming all 3 end up freshman) all become seniors at the same time. That's a 9 person class ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

One of the 3 really needs to be a non-Freshman. Otherwise we will have a similar situation in 4 years when Rod Brown, Stevenson, Udeze, Moore, Chandler, Dennis, and 3 TBD Freshman (assuming all 3 end up freshman) all become seniors at the same time. That's a 9 person class ...
                Three plus out of nine won’t be here as seniors. Need bodies now.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I vote best available. Let everything else work itself out. Transfers, elected redshirts, medical redshirts, NBA draft can move a lot around over 3-4 years.

I'm also a fan of not redshirting anyone next season. Get everybody in and see what shakes out. Potentially use a redshirt year on them as a sophomore if they need to develop their body.

Comment

• shocks02
                    shocks02 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +1. Especially in today's environment. We may have 8 freshman next year, but the class could easily end up graduating 4-5 when all is said and done.

• BOBB
                    BOBB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am coming around to preserving the redshirt for kids to transfer with three years eligibility or, if bought in to take a sophomore redshirt. Kind of a ripoff to sit one year, bench warm a second and then only have two years eligibility.

Prep is preferable to a redshirt

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Three plus out of nine won’t be here as seniors. Need bodies now.
                  That and somebody or somebodies redshirt.

At any rate, get Burton, Ndiaye, and either Torres/Alvarez and I'll be a happy Shocker.
                  "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
                    ShockingButTrue commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd like to see Torres, with Alvarez coming off the bench, and Bryant. But I'd settle for Burton if I had to : D
                    Then throw in the 6'10" kid with major potential from the sunshine state. That'd make for a pretty successful recruiting class as far as I'm concerned.

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

I vote best available. Let everything else work itself out. Transfers, elected redshirts, medical redshirts, NBA draft can move a lot around over 3-4 years.

I'm also a fan of not redshirting anyone next season. Get everybody in and see what shakes out. Potentially use a redshirt year on them as a sophomore if they need to develop their body.
                  "To red shirt or not red shirt" that is a question that maybe resolved over the summer and fall practices. We don't yet know anything about these kids except their names, and in three cases, we don't even know their names, yet. Some may catch on mentally very quickly; others may not. If any one of them needs a red shirt year to develop/mature physically and/or mentally, then that is best for the program. Another reason to red shirt is that playing time is expected to be so limited for somebody that they would choose to red shirt to preserve eligibility for playing time in a fifth year. Of course, the not-to-be-spoken-about -- injury. IMHO, not a reason to red shirt is to balance the class size. Let nature take its course and re-evaluate two and three years from now.

While using the sophomore red shirt has some appeal, it would seem to me that it would be easier to forecast meaningful minutes before the sophomore year than before the freshman year. In other words, there may be more opportunities to play as a red-shirt freshman during the second year than are available during the true freshman year.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                    Fred definitely had lots of success in March and since we probably won't get another Fred and since you say we desperately need another Fred, we must be DOOMED.
                    Great insight.

Remember back in the day when Chicken fans (wink wink) couldn't wait for Cle' to graduate so that WSU would suck again.

SHOCKERS.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Great insight.

Remember back in the day when Chicken fans (wink wink) couldn't wait for Cle' to graduate so that WSU would suck again.

SHOCKERS.jpg
                      Great show, “Mad Men”, but clearly KU does think about WSU. I mean, they created that damn meme for Christ’s sake.
                      The Assman

Comment

Working...
                      X