Fred VanVleet is a Shocker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone still want to doubt this kid?

Congratulations Fred, you deserve every bit of this recognition.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by _ShockU_ View Post
      ESPN updated their recruiting database today and now shows FVV as #81 overall for the class of 2012.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports//b...ank/class/2012

Let me tell you, 81st in this class HELL NAW!!! No way my guy FVV should be ranked that low... Also, I promise you! there are not 14 H.S PG's better then Fred in this country...SMH

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
        I'm not happy about that either. I'm also not happy about people questioning his quickness when that seems to be his strength. Let me see.. could FVV leave Nic Moore in the dust? Hmm.. Could he pick Chatman's pocket? And scare the sh*t out of him, from the quickness of it?

We will find out.
        I watched videos of his AAU games against the #1, #3, and #5 rated PG's last summer. Those guys were quicker than Fred. Fred isn't the quickest 5'11" PG around. Some of those smaller guys are stupid quick. Fred is deceptive, crafty, and sneaky with great basketball IQ and unbelievable handles.

In the games I watched where other PGs appeared quicker, Fred was consistently more effective. It was like he'd see a teammate making a move and knew where and when that teammate would be open for a pass and where and when he needed to be at a certain spot to make the pass. Then he'd just juke one of the top 5 PG's to get to where he could make the pass - then he'd make the pass.

We have to remember that the criticism of Fred's quickness is when he's compared to the absolute top of the PG's in his class. There are quicker in the class. FVV is probably at Nic Moore's quickness (with better handles) and probably surpasses Odum's court vision.

With Orukpe's ability to screen and Fred's ability to get to a spot where he can make a pass, if the rest of the Shox can learn to run off of Orukpe's screens, FVV could take a lot of minutes away from Armstead. Feature Orukpe screening, Hall and Early sealing the lane and Williams or Cotton running layups off of high screens. Orukpe can take out the defenders and FVV can get to a position to make the pass for the layup.

FVV isn't the quickest PG in the 2012 class, but not many PG's in that class averaged 5 or 6 steals per game in their last two years in HS. FVV may be the sneakiest and craftiest PG in his class, but that doesn't represent well in scouting reports. I wouldn't be surprised to get 3 years of the level of production we got from Hannah and Ragland in their Sr seasons.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• TOP H.S PG TALK ABOUT FVV

In todays video boys & girls... One of the top PG's in the USA and a mcdonald's all-american Yogi Ferrell talks about how FVV's team beat them TWICE!!!! during the summer.... http://youtu.be/Rw6Weps4ugk

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            I watched videos of his AAU games against the #1, #3, and #5 rated PG's last summer. Those guys were quicker than Fred. Fred isn't the quickest 5'11" PG around. Some of those smaller guys are stupid quick. Fred is deceptive, crafty, and sneaky with great basketball IQ and unbelievable handles.

In the games I watched where other PGs appeared quicker, Fred was consistently more effective. It was like he'd see a teammate making a move and knew where and when that teammate would be open for a pass and where and when he needed to be at a certain spot to make the pass. Then he'd just juke one of the top 5 PG's to get to where he could make the pass - then he'd make the pass.

We have to remember that the criticism of Fred's quickness is when he's compared to the absolute top of the PG's in his class. There are quicker in the class. FVV is probably at Nic Moore's quickness (with better handles) and probably surpasses Odum's court vision.

With Orukpe's ability to screen and Fred's ability to get to a spot where he can make a pass, if the rest of the Shox can learn to run off of Orukpe's screens, FVV could take a lot of minutes away from Armstead. Feature Orukpe screening, Hall and Early sealing the lane and Williams or Cotton running layups off of high screens. Orukpe can take out the defenders and FVV can get to a position to make the pass for the layup.

FVV isn't the quickest PG in the 2012 class, but not many PG's in that class averaged 5 or 6 steals per game in their last two years in HS. FVV may be the sneakiest and craftiest PG in his class, but that doesn't represent well in scouting reports. I wouldn't be surprised to get 3 years of the level of production we got from Hannah and Ragland in their Sr seasons.
            FVV looks to be one of those players that can play at any pace that is comfortable for him, whatever pace he wants it to be.. and there's nothing his opponents can do about it (from what I've seen).. he looks that type good (from what I've seen). But when he HAS to show quickness, the crossovers, head-fakes, passes, steals, drives from half-court etc. look cat-quick to me, like he leaves nearly EVERYBODY on the opposing team flat-footed.

Comment

• Pure quickness isn't necessarily the key for a PG. John Stockton was more strong and physical than super quick, but few in the NBA have ever been better. That's not necessarily to compare Fred's game to Stockton's -- but it does illustrate that pure quicks can be overrated.

Comment

• Let's also say our Quarterback PG position is in great hands with MA and FVV. Last summer, I watched Armstead and Baker 2-3 times and they both impressed me as solid keepers at the guard position. FVV has the PG mentality to the max and can stroke the 3. Armstead was not a lights out shooter when I watched but could score and penetrate quite well. He will be a handful for our opponents on both sides of the floor. Baker not only shot 'lights out' but also played the D. I am eager to witness or hear reports on here this summer with all of our new players coming in. Our guards are going to be 'for real' at least 6 deep.
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• FVV in at 138 on updated Rivals 150
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    If my memory is correct, we haven't had a kid on the 150 out of high school since....?

Kyle Wilson (who was a transfer from Illinois). Congrats to Fred!

Comment

• Wasn't mo the last one straight outta high school?

Comment

• Can't wait for summer pick up games to get my first live look at the Mayor of Rockford.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                          Wasn't mo the last one straight outta high school?
                          Sean Ogirri was 122 I believe. Before that it was Jamar Howard. Kyle Wilson and I believe Karon Bradley were both on the list as well but transfered in.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• We won't RS Fred. In my opinion, he'll be on the floor 30-50% of the time by the end of the year. He'll need experience because he'll be the #1 PG in 2013-14.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              Sean Ogirri was 122 I believe. Before that it was Jamar Howard. Kyle Wilson and I believe Karon Bradley were both on the list as well but transfered in.
                              Same with Phil Thomasson.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                                We won't RS Fred. In my opinion, he'll be on the floor 30-50% of the time by the end of the year. He'll need experience because he'll be the #1 PG in 2013-14.
                                I think that Cotton may play PG for defensive reasons but little else. I think that FVV will play more PG than Cotton. FVV is too good at making other players bettero offensively because of his passing.

Comment

Working...
                                X