Fred VanVleet is a Shocker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by _kai_
    Be confident with the program, the coaches, and the player. All of which are hovering near the top of the basketball world. FVV is a great player, and seems to be a great young man. Unlike so many players who constantly have their heads pumped up with helium from everyone around them, he seems to be very grounded, and Coach Ford and Coach Marshall has shown confidence in him from an early stage in his recruitment, and to someone like FVV, I think that speaks volumes. I don't think he's going to be the type of player to get offers from the BCS big boys, and jump ship. I think he embraces the fact he doesn't get a lot of press, and it makes him work even harder. He handled himself very well in his interview and I don't think we have anything to worry about. We should embrace the fact he will go up in the rankings and it will give WSU some press on having a great recruiting class. How great would it be to have one of the top 10, or 5 PG's in the country?
    I'm 110% confident with all of it, where WSU is headed. That includes juco recruiting. :D

He's already proved he's one of the top 3 (if not no. 1) PG's in the country. That's how rankings work, off summer camps. Check his comp' and see what he did. I never said he would jump ship. I said we might be hearing some Calipari stories (oh, and maybe some Self stories too, WstateU).

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock
      If you watched the video of Fred against Indiana Elite, you saw what players like Yogi Ferrell bring to the table. They have skills, quickness and very high upside. That is what the "big boys" are looking for. A player like Van Vleet isn't as valuable to them because they will surely bring in other high-level players to complement guys like Ferrell. Van Vleet isn't a flashy, blow by his defender type of player, so he isn't going to stick out when Ferrell and his ilk are on the floor.

From one of the online accounts of his commitment:

But unlike other high school hot shots, Van Vleet wasn't interested in running a recruiting circus and looking for the highest level possible. Kudos to Van Vleet for his level-headed ways and going through a process that others should think about following.
      That tells me he knew there was a good chance he'd get more BCS-level interest. Also from another online article:

Van Vleet bonded with Ford. "The past two months me and him have built a strong relationship without him blowing me up all the time. I know I am going into a great situation and he will be like a big brother to me. Just the confidence he has in me and the trust we've built played a big part in my decision," said Van Vleet.
      This isn't your typical, recruit visits school, recruit likes school/coaches/players, recruit makes snap decision. This one is built on a relationship with a newly hired assitant coach (he isn't going anywhere soon) and the school/fans/facilities rienforced it.

Furthermore, Van Vleet could have jumped to a more elite AAU team with a shoe deal but chose to stay loyal to Pryme Tyme.

I see nothing here that makes me worry he will jump ship. He wants to play for coach Ford and is excited to join Shocker Nation. Let's enjoy the ride, fellas!
      Bingo!
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• FVV blew by everybody (no.s #1, #3 and #5 included) and made it to the finish line running backwards.

Comment

• Getting a player, and person, like FVV can do nothing but improve our recruiting efforts. Not only will he make current players better, but also future players. He'll open up lanes, draw defenders, get the ball to the scorers, and make a "star" shine even brighter. Are you listening Perry?

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_
            Be confident with the program, the coaches, and the player. All of which are hovering near the top of the basketball world. FVV is a great player, and seems to be a great young man. Unlike so many players who constantly have their heads pumped up with helium from everyone around them, he seems to be very grounded, and Coach Ford and Coach Marshall has shown confidence in him from an early stage in his recruitment, and to someone like FVV, I think that speaks volumes. I don't think he's going to be the type of player to get offers from the BCS big boys, and jump ship. I think he embraces the fact he doesn't get a lot of press, and it makes him work even harder. He handled himself very well in his interview and I don't think we have anything to worry about. We should embrace the fact he will go up in the rankings and it will give WSU some press on having a great recruiting class. How great would it be to have one of the top 10, or 5 PG's in the country?
            Amen.

+1
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk
              Getting a player, and person, like FVV can do nothing but improve our recruiting efforts. Not only will he make current players better, but also future players. He'll open up lanes, draw defenders, get the ball to the scorers, and make a "star" shine even brighter. Are you listening Perry?
              Completely agree with your comment, ShockTalk. The coaches ought to take that video to show perspective recruits when they go recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker
                Originally posted by _kai_
                I'm 110% confident with all of it, where WSU is headed. That includes juco recruiting. :D

He's already proved he's one of the top 3 (if not no. 1) PG's in the country. That's how rankings work, off summer camps. Check his comp' and see what he did. I never said he would jump ship. I said we might be hearing some Calipari stories (oh, and maybe some Self stories too, WstateU).
                Hey, knock it off! :D

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Juco recruiting? I hope Sub didnt see that. :D

That reminds me to post another potential juco recruit. Too busy tonight, I'll do it tomorrow.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

• I'm sorry, WstateU. I'll never mention Self in a negative light ever again. Sheesh..

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker
                      I'm sorry, WstateU. I'll never mention Self in a negative light ever again. Sheesh..

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...rt&FORM=IDFRIR
                      dude...
                      veni, vidi, vici

Comment

• Ferrell is a little slicker, a little quicker, and "looks" better than Van Vleet, but more good things happened when Van Vleet was involved in the play than when Ferrell was involved in the play.

Van Vleet's ability to get to the FT line was amazing. I think I counted 6 points he got off of FT's when he was driving to the hoop and appeared cut off. I think it was twice he drove to the hoop and didn't score. Overall, it looked like he was scoring two points on probably 75% of his drives to the hoop.

I was a bit surprised by his rebounding. If this game was any indication of how he gets boards, he's one of those players who get a couple boards a game by just being where the ball goes (a 5'11" version of Hatch - and I think that comparison might go past just getting boards).

There were some breath-taking passes, but unlike Mekel, none of them went into the fourth row. Overall, his game looked solid, but unspectacular, until you look at the results he got.

Van Vleet is one of those players who just make it look easy. He makes it look so easy that he may have missed the attention of the big boys who were drooling over the slicker and quicker Ferrell.

Ferrell is better at the spectacular stuff. Van Vleet is better at the more mundane stuff that results in points. The scouting reports that say he lulls the D into a trance are perfect.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• FVV is taking the court again today, this time at the AAU National Championships in Orlando.

It's a massive tournament, with hundreds of U17 teams competing. They're opening up pool play this morning in Pool M of the Silver Bracket.

Should they advance to the final, they will be on ESPN3 on Wednesday at 4 p.m. central -- but that would be a huge accomplishment, as you have to win seven games (two games each day) against the top teams to get there.

Here's where the results will be posted.

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• PrymeTyme 81 Memphis Stars 58.

Next game: Tonight at 8 p.m. v. South Florida Elite.
                            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee
                              PrymeTyme 81 Memphis Stars 58.

Next game: Tonight at 8 p.m. v. South Florida Elite.
                              Thanks for the update Wuzee.....are you getting any of this online, and if so can you provide a link?

Many thanks!

Comment

• post removed.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Working...
                                X