Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support the return of football at WSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People worry about the scholarship thing. Here's what I've been able to find. Not sure if I'm missing something

Mens
    Baseball 11.7
    Basketball 13
    XC/T&F 12.6
    Golf 4.5
    Tennis 4.5

Total 46.3

FCS 63
    FBS 22 (additional)

Womens
    Basketball 15
    XC/T&F 18
    Golf 6
    Softball 12
    Tennis 8
    Volleyball 12

Total 71

Possible Additions
    Soccer 14
    Swim/Dive 14
    Gymnastics 12
    Row 20

We already have a place for soccer to play. So that helps startup costs. There's some fairly decent soccer talent in the area from what I'm told. I'd be surprised if that isn't started up in the near future regardless of football. I wouldn't think that Swimming and Diving or Gymnastics would take a lot of startup costs either. So those wouldn't be a huge burden. With the right vision and leadership, the money in Wichita would be there to support the restarting of football. It's just a matter of the vision of our leadership.

And plus, without football, our options are limited and I'm pretty convinced we'll be stuck playing in a very weak MVC in the not too distant future.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      People worry about the scholarship thing. Here's what I've been able to find. Not sure if I'm missing something

Mens
      Baseball 11.7
      Basketball 13
      XC/T&F 12.6
      Golf 4.5
      Tennis 4.5

Total 46.3

FCS 63
      FBS 22 (additional)

Womens
      Basketball 15
      XC/T&F 18
      Golf 6
      Softball 12
      Tennis 8
      Volleyball 12

Total 71

Possible Additions
      Soccer 14
      Swim/Dive 14
      Gymnastics 12
      Row 20

We already have a place for soccer to play. So that helps startup costs. There's some fairly decent soccer talent in the area from what I'm told. I'd be surprised if that isn't started up in the near future regardless of football. I wouldn't think that Swimming and Diving or Gymnastics would take a lot of startup costs either. So those wouldn't be a huge burden. With the right vision and leadership, the money in Wichita would be there to support the restarting of football. It's just a matter of the vision of our leadership.

And plus, without football, our options are limited and I'm pretty convinced we'll be stuck playing in a very weak MVC in the not too distant future.
      I'm not an expert on Title IX but if they have 70 full football scholarships dont the women have to have 70 FULL scholarships too?

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
        I'm not an expert on Title IX but if they have 70 full football scholarships dont the women have to have 70 FULL scholarships too?
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
          No. There is no fixed ratio. There is a three tier test to determine compliance and the ratio of scholarships is just one of many factors which are taken in sum total to make sure you have reasonable equality. And football would allow 63 scholies (for D1-AA). So just adding women's soccer alone would get us to 43.7% women's to 56.3% men's. I found an article that showed the national ratio in 2000 was 60.5% men's to 39.5% or so. So we would be well within the national average (of 2000) by adding a single women's sport.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            No. There is no fixed ratio. There is a three tier test to determine compliance and the ratio of scholarships is just one of many factors which are taken in sum total to make sure you have reasonable equality. And football would allow 63 scholies (for D1-AA). So just adding women's soccer alone would get us to 43.7% women's to 56.3% men's. I found an article that showed the national ratio in 2000 was 60.5% men's to 39.5% or so. So we would be well within the national average (of 2000) by adding a single women's sport.
            If that is in fact the case, things don't look as bad as I was always led to believe. We'd probably have to add another women's sport if we later moved up to FBS (which would be the goal). Luckily, it would appear that the sports that would need to be added are relatively cheap to startup and maintain. And women's soccer would have the chance to help pay for itself if not turn a small profit eventually. Like it or not, soccer is growing in popularity. It's not on the same scale as football, basketball and baseball, but it's growing. If soccer could at least get close to paying for itself, that would be a huge benefit to both basketball and potentially football as that would be less that they'd have to try and cover as well.

And lets also not forget that increased enrollment would also help cover some costs. Future President Bardo did a good job in that department at his last stop and if he can pull off a similar thing here, even without football, it would only help if/when football was brought back to Wichita.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If that is in fact the case, things don't look as bad as I was always led to believe. We'd probably have to add another women's sport if we later moved up to FBS (which would be the goal). Luckily, it would appear that the sports that would need to be added are relatively cheap to startup and maintain. And women's soccer would have the chance to help pay for itself if not turn a small profit eventually. Like it or not, soccer is growing in popularity. It's not on the same scale as football, basketball and baseball, but it's growing. If soccer could at least get close to paying for itself, that would be a huge benefit to both basketball and potentially football as that would be less that they'd have to try and cover as well.

And lets also not forget that increased enrollment would also help cover some costs. Future President Bardo did a good job in that department at his last stop and if he can pull off a similar thing here, even without football, it would only help if/when football was brought back to Wichita.
              Yeah, I've always said right along that Title IX is not a compelling argument against bringing back football. It's just not a difficult barrier to overcome, relative to stadium renovation and other start-up and ongoing costs.

Comment

Yeah, I've always said right along that Title IX is not a compelling argument against bringing back football. It's just not a difficult barrier to overcome, relative to stadium renovation and other start-up and ongoing costs.
                I definitely agree. And I believe that much of those startup costs can be taken care of with the proper plan. Sexton just has to get the plan in order and present it to the big money people in the neighborhood and we can do it.

Upgrading Cessna is definitely the big one right out of the gate. I won't even pretend to know how much would be needed for that. But whatever is done, it would need the capability to hold more than 30-40 thousand. At least where additional seating could be added later. ODU only has I believe a 15k seat stadium and are looking to expand it. Especially if they get and accept an invite to CUSA.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Dr. Beggs felt that football was a money issue and didn't want to take away from other programs.

Many blame for [sic] Dr. Beggs for not bringing football back to Wichita State. He believes it always has been and will be a money issue.

"How do you do that without taking away from the rest of the programs?" he said. "In the end, I'd rather do well at what we do which is part of our brand, rather than be spread thin and not be able to compete."

Comment

... Luckily, it would appear that the sports that would need to be added are relatively cheap to startup and maintain -- edit: unlike football itself, which might single-handedly bankrupt the athletic department...

Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                      Dr. Beggs felt that football was a money issue and didn't want to take away from other programs.

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/story/...juR2PlF_g.cspx
                      How many all sports trophies do we have to stuff on the shelf to prove we are already good at what we do?

Comment

How many all sports trophies do we have to stuff on the shelf to prove we are already good at what we do?
                        I guess I should also recognize that it might be because we don't have football that we keep winning all sports trophies.

Tough to figure out.

Comment

That's why I talked about increased enrollment and a proper vision that can draw money from the big shots. I like how everyone seems to ignore that and pretend that we're talking about adding with the same budget. Lets at least be honest with this dialogue
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Darn it, we missed again!

"The executive vice president of Koch Industries has donated $35 million to the National Museum of Natural History, the Smithsonian Institution announced Thursday."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I have always said, get parcells behind it and we will have football.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

From Paul Suellentrop's weekly Shocker e-newsletter:

WSU coaches met with John Bardo, the new university president, last week. The coaches I talked to came away with impressed with Bardo’s ideas, enthusiasm and appreciation for athletics. Bardo taught sociology from 1973-83 at WSU, so he has history with the Shockers. He told coaches he remembered going to baseball game before the ballpark featured stands. Those ties to WSU made a good impression, as did his request for information about what programs needed to improve.

Bardo gave the coaches the impression he liked the way things ran, and he didn’t plan to make big changes. He addressed football, making common-sense points one would expect from a new president. He said he likes football, but any idea of reviving the sport would require a large donation for start-up money and a guarantee other sports could maintain their success.

Comment

Working...
                                X