No announcement yet.

2017-18 Shocker Men XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is the last half of Austin Corley's huge 400m hurdle win over 2-time defending AAC champion Amere Lattin. Austin is in Lane 4. Lattin is in Lane 5. If you would have looked at these two guys standing next to each other before the race started you would kind of scratch your head and wonder why the kid in the yellow and black is even bothering.

Clearing the Hurdles with Austin Corley on The Drive this afternoon:

Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 14, 2018, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• American Athletic Conference Champions Austin Corley and Aaron True have been awarded the Most Outstanding Performance for track and field.

The award is presented to student-athletes who recorded the highest-ranking marks on the NCAA performance list at The American Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Austin Corley won the men's 400m hurdle American Athletic Conference Championship with a time of 50.07, breaking the American Athletic Conference meet record and beating two-time defending champion Amere Lattin of Houston. Corley entered the weekend ranked No. 38 in the nation, after setting a personal best in the finals he moved up to No. 9.

The Adrian, Mo., native is a two-time conference champion (MVC-2017, AAC-2018) and his time of 50.07 ranks No. 2 on the all-time list in Shocker history.

Aaron True won the men's javelin American Athletic Conference Championship with a throw of 77.49m/254-3, breaking the American Athletic Conference meet record and defeating two former American champions, Memphis' Micael Criticos (2016) and 2017 champion Seth Zuidema of UConn. Not only did True break the conference record, the junior set a personal best and broke the school record previously held by teammate Damien Odle (73.36m/240-8).

A Leroy, Kan., native is a two-time conference champion (MVC-2017, AAC-2018). His throw of 77.49m currently ranks No. 5 in the nation and is the farthest throw in the 2018 season by an American-born athlete.
      WICHITA, Kan. – American Athletic Conference Champions Austin Corley and Aaron True have been awarded the Most Outstanding Performance for track and field.

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        1972Shocker I don't want you to look for it, but I am just curious if you happened to see the Javelin competition? Was it covered at all ?

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not see it and I think it was held outside of the stadium like they would do at Wichita State so I doubt they had cameras on it. The only thing I saw was the brief video (cell phone?) of Aaron True that just showed his final approach and release of his record throw.that I posted a link for in post #120 above.

With both Aaron True and Taran Taylor back next year it would probably be worth getting out to see these guys. If Taran is throwin 243' as a freshman what is he going to throwing as a senior if he stays healthy?

• Comment

• Comment

• Okay, so Wichita State isn't a basketball school, it's a javelin school.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi1sd0Wl...d=l9f62hj4m6pq

Comment

• 10 Shocker men have qualified for the NCAA West Preliminary Rounds in Sacramento, CA on May 24-26. There are 2 preliminary meets. West and East.

I think the top 48 marks in each event in each Region qualifies. The top 12 finishers in the West and the top 12 finishers in the East advance to the NCAA Championships in Eugene, OR on June 6-9.

The Shocker qualifiers, their seed marks and their seeds (ranks) are as follows:

Javelin: Jr. Aaron True (77.49m/254-3) #3
            Javelin: Fr. Taran Taylor (74.26m/243-8) #5
            Javelin: Sr. John Hoplin (68.88,/226-0) #17
            Javelin: Sr. Damien Odle (67.87m/222-8) #21

400m Hurdles: So. Austin Corley (50.07) #7
            400m Hurdles: Sr. Isaac Poe (51.64) #37

Long Jump: Jr. Jard Belardo (7.85m/25-9.25) #11
            Long Jump: Fr. Rayvon Allen (7.71m/25-3.5) #21

1500m Run: So. Zack Penrod (3:45.41) #34

Pole Vault: Jr. Hayden Bugner (5.15m/16-10.75) #36

Obviously the best shot at qualifying for Nationals are Aaron True and Taran Taylor in the javelin but not sure I would count out John Hoplin or Damien Odle either. You never know when you will catch a flyer.

Austin Corley has a shot in the 400m if he can duplicate his record effort in the AAC Championships which was a bit of a surprise.

Jared Belardo has a shot in the long jump and I wouldn't count out Rayvon Allen if he can get healthy. He was hobbled a bit at the AAC Championships. Rayvon certainly doesn't lack in confidence.

Hunter Veith has already qualified for the NCAA Championships in the decathlon. The top 16 national marks move directly into the NCAA Championships in Eugene. The multi-events are not contested in the NCAA Prelimiary Rounds. The big concern with Hunter is his health. He scratched from the 110m hurdles and the long jump in El Paso on April 27th and then after qualifying in the 110m hurldes in the AAC Championships with less than his best time he pretty muched jogged to an 8th place finish in the finals and was unable to compete in the long jump, triple jump, high jump and pole vault at the AAC's. He has about 3.5 weeks to heal whatever is ailing him but even if he can go this has to be setting his training an conditioning back.

http://goshockers.com/news/2018/5/17...t-prelims.aspx
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 17, 2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• I guess we are down to NCAA Track and Field and the fate of Todd Butler to close out the 2017-18 WSU Athletic year.

Here are the Shocker men (with West Region ranking in their event) participating in the NCAA regionals - I assuming times listed on the schedule are Pacific Times:

Thursday, May 24th:

400m Hurdles - First Round - 6:30 pm CT - Jr. Austin Corley (#7), Sr. Isaac Poe (#37)
              6 Heats - Advance Top 3 From Each Heat Plus Next Six Times to the Quarterfinals on Friday at 7:30 pm CT.

Long Jump - 6:30 pm CT - Jr. Jared Belardo (#12) and Fr. Rayvon Allen (#23) Single Round - 3 Jumps - Advance 12 to Eurgene.
              Both also qualified for the Triple Jump and both elected to focus on the Long Jump.

Pole Vault - 6:30 pm CT - Jr. Hayden Bugner (#39) - Advance Top 12 to Eugene

1500M Run - First Round - 7:30 pm CT - So. Zack Penrod (#53) - 4 Heats - Advance Top 5 From Each Heat Plus Next 4 Best Times to the Quarterfinals on Saturday at 8:30 pm CT

Saturday, May 26th:

Javelin - 2:00 pm CT - Jr. Aaron True (#3), Fr. Taran Taylor (#5), Sr. John Hoplin (#18) and Sr. Damien Odle (#22) - Advance Top 12 to Eugene

http://goshockers.com/news/2018/5/23...-regional.aspx

I would say Austin Corley in the 400m hurdles and Aaron True and Taran Taylor in the javelin have good shots at moving on to Eugene. Jared Belard in the long jump is right on the edge. Rayvoon Allen, if healthy, in the long jump could surprise. And you never know when John Hoplin and/or Damien Odle might catch a flyer in the javelin.

Hopefully, all we perform at or near the best. Good luck guys.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 24, 2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                There is not a whole lot to see in this very short video but you can see what a 254' 2" javelin throw looks like on release. This video also shows how these college track and field athletes for the most part toil away in anonymity.

https://twitter.com/GoShockersTFXC/s...06168001744896

There it is! There it is! There it is!
                Wow, he launched it like a tomahawk missile...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That actually is a pretty apt description. Just Google the aerodynamics of the javelin throw and it appears that being a rocket scientist could be helpful with maximizing performance in this event. Maybe that is why WSU has the #1 ranked javelin squad in the nation. Our strong Aerospace Engineering programs.

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  'Lamar' might deserve some of the credit... :)

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL. Or maybe not. Somehow I don't think his javelin implement quites measure up to NCAA standards.

Now look what you made me do.

• RH: Corley Belongs Among Nation's Best

Wichita State's Austin Corley will do his pushups and sit-ups the day of the race, warm up, say a short prayer and, as he settles into the starting blocks for the 400-meter hurdles, tell himself he belongs in the race.

Comment

• Austin runs a 51.44. He was in Heat 2. 4 more heats to run. He was 5th in his heat. Whether that will stand up as one of the 6 fastest times in addition to the Top 3 from each heat in order to move on the the next round remains to be seen. There is a good chance it won't.

While Austin's time was 23rd best he doesn't qualify as two runners that finished in the Top 3 of their heats had slower times than Austin. Austin missed qualifying for the next round by 0.17 seconds.

Houston's Amere Lattin, perhaps motivated by his loss to Austin in the AAC Championship, ran a personal best of 49.71 to lead the qualifying for the next round.

https://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/f...1_compiled.htm

Good season for Austin though.

Isaac Poe finished 36th at 52.60 to finish his Shocker career.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 24, 2018, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• Zack Penrod failed to qualify for the next round in the 1500. He didn't run a particularly fast time at 3:54.96 but he was faster than 5 top finishers in another slower heat. Unfortunately, Zack's time was well behind the 4 best times that did not qualify as a top 5 finisher in one of the 4 heats. Zack was 9th in his 12 man heat.

Neither Jared Belardo nor Rayvon Allen qualified in the long jump. Rayvon jumped 24-5 good for 20th and Jared only managed 22-11.75 good for 42nd. Rayvon may still not be 100% from whatever was ailing him in the AAC Championships and Jared's first attempt was only about 16-7 so it's possible he tweaked something injury-wise as well.

Hayden Bugner only managed to clear 15-11 in the pole vault good for 30th and will not advance. That is about a foot short of what he jumped in the AAC Championships.

All-in-all a disappointing day for the Shocker men. Hopefully, the javelin squad can salvage some Shocker pride on Saturday.

Comment

• My speculation about Jared Belardo being affected by injury was accurate.

All-American Jared Belardobattled with injury and finished 42nd overall with a mark of 7.00m/22-11.75.
                      The Shocker men are back in action on Saturday with the javelin team of No. 3 Aaaron True, No. 5 Taran Taylor, No. 17 John Hoplin and No. 21 Damien Odle competing at 2 p.m. CT.
                      SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Wichita State's track and field program opened day one of the NCAA West Regional with 10 athletes in action, including Winny Koskei running the third fastest 10,000m in Shocker history.

Comment

• The javelin is being contest in 3 Flights of 16 athletes each. Flight 1 are the botton 16 seeds, Flight 2 are the middle 16 seeds and Flight 1 is the top 16 seeds. Shocker seniors Damien Odle and John Hoplin are in Flight 2 and Jr. Aaron True and Fr. Taran Taylor or in Flight 1.

Flights 1 and 2 are either completed or near completed. Damien and John both hit their best throws on their 3rd and final attempts. Damien threw 221-6 and is in 3rd and John threw 209-8 and is in 8th with the top 16 seeds still to throw. The top 12 throws advance to Eugene. Unlikely that either Damien's or John's marks will hold up but we'll see.

Aaron True's throw of 70.55/231-5 lands him in 4th place and Damien Odle holds on for a 10th place finish and both will be headed to Eugene to represent the Shockers in the NCAA Championships. John finished 20th and Taran 28th.

There were 30 throws over 200'. All 4 Shockers threw over 200', 4 other schools each had 2 throwers over 200'. 18 others each had 1 throw over 200'.

Congratulations to Aaron and Damien. Especially Damien who sat a last year due to injury and who was the Shocker record holder until Aaron and Taran passed his record at the AAC Championship.

Taran is not doubt a bit disappointed with his throw of 61.82m/202-10 but as a freshman he should get several more shots on goal before he is done..
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 26, 2018, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Small-town stars are 'heart and soul' of Wichita State track and field

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...211723399.html

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            Some good news for Shocker Track & Field followed by some bad news:

On April 18th the Shockers welcomed Josh Cable from Rocherster HS in illinois to the Shocker track team as part of the Class of 2018. I think Josh was mostly a middle distance guy.

On Tuesday of this week Josh was seriously injured (burns and smoke inhalation) in a house fire at his home rural Rochester.

By Michael Newmanmike@dyestat.com Early on May 1, Rochester All-State runner Josh Cable was involved in a house fire in his home in rural Rochester. According to the Springfield Journal Register, “Rochester Fire Chief John Archer said witnesses reported the teen had been in the basement of the house and became disoriented by the smoke. The teen’s father was able to get him out of the house. The teen suffered some burns and smoke inhalation. He was taken by ambulance to Memorial Medi

Sounds like his recovery is going about as well as expected. They think most of his burns are 2nd degree with spots of 3rd. Hard to say whether the smoke inhalation has done any permanent damage to his lungs.

Since I am about the only one who posts on this thread I will go ahead and wish Josh a full and speedy recovery and hopes that this does not derail his track career, although that may not be all that important at this point, on behalf of the ShockerNet family.
                            Rochester HS‏ @RochesterHS_3A
                            Josh Cable was able to leave the hospital. What a great day!!

10:45 AM - 25 May 2018

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                              1972Shocker commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Apparently Josh was able to watch the Shockers form his hospital room during the AAC Outdoor Championships. Not really sure what his prognosis is to run track again although I suppose that's not very important but he does sound like his recovery is proceeding pretty well. Loved it that he had his Shocker gear on when he left the hospital. I'm sure Coach Rainbolt and Coach Wise have been keeping in touch with Josh.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 28, 2018, 01:43 PM.
                          Working...
                          X