No announcement yet.

2017-18 Shocker Men XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shocks recorded three 25+ foot long jumps but Houston So. Jared Kerr stole the show with a 26-8.5 jump to win the AAC long jump.

Jr. Jared Belard finished second with a PR of 25-9.5, Fr. Rayvon Allen was 25-3.5 and Sr. Hunter Veithy was 5th at 25-0 as the Shocks accumulated 17 points.

Sr. Austin Sturdy picked up a couple of points with a 7th place finish in the 3,000m steeplechase with PR of 9:19.67 beating his previous best by about 13 seconds. Well done by the Shocker senior.

At the end of Day 2 I would say the Shockers on right on track. However, only 6 of 21 events have been scored so Sunday, as always will tell the tale.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 12, 2018, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• Sr. Hunter Veith and So. Colin Reichenberger qualify for the finals in the 110 hurdles.

So. Zack Penrod, Jr. Stan Skwarlo and Fr. Ben Flowers qualify for the 1,500m finals. I don't know what has gotten into Stan Skwarlo but he ran 5:28 faster than his previous best.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 12, 2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• Huge result for the Shockers in the javelin.

Jr. Aaron True set an WSU, Stadium and AAC Championship record (by about 18-19 feet) with a big throw of 254-2 to win the javelin. Just as impressive Fr. Taran Taylor cut loose with a throw of 243-7, which also broke the previous WSU, Stadium and AAC Chjampionship records finished 2nd.

Sr. John Hoplin also threw a new PR of 226-0 which was about `15 feet past his previous best and took 5th place points.

The former WSU record holder Sr. Damien Olde who missed last year with an injury that required surgery finished 7th with a throw of 217-2.

The AAC is a very strong men's javelin conference and picking up 24 points is no doubt better than expectations.

Great job guys.

Comment

• Jr. Hayden Bugner pole vaulted to a new PR of 16-10.75 which tied for the best vault of the meet but finished 2nd on the basis of more misses. That was good for 8 points.

Unfortunatley, Hunter Veith no heighted. He will need to avoid that in the NCAA Decathlon championship.

Apparently, Hunter is nursing an injury. I don't think he no heighted I just don't think his even started the event.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 13, 2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• The running events start in at 3:30 pm CT and Houston will start racking up the points.

Live Stream

Comment

• Shocks run a 40.60 for 6th place in the 4x100m relay but were disqualified for some reason which costs them 3 points. That's the second DQ for the men's team. Pedro Montoya was DQ'd in the 10k although I don't know if that cost the Shocks any points or not.

Comment

• Looks like So. Zack Penrod finished 2nd in the 1,500m race with Jr. Stan Skwarlo finishing 5th.

This was a tightly pocked 12-man race and Zack kind of got boxed in so he did a good job with his kick to get 2nd. This turned into a very slow, tactical race.

Stan's points are a pleasant surprise.

As I said a tightly packed field and Fr. Ben Flowers was tripped, pushed or something that caused him to fall was was one other runner. No DQ's though.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 13, 2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• My fears about Hunter's health were apparently not crazy. Hunter did run in the 110H but he only ran hard enough to finish the race to pick up a point for the Shockers. His time of 21.28 is about 7 seconds behind his normal time. Hopefully, the 3 weeks between now and the NCAA Decathlon Championship will be enough time for him to heal and be able to compete.

Fr. Rayvon Allen looks a liitle banged up in the triple jump as well with his left knee taped.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 13, 2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    The running events start in at 3:30 pm CT and Houston will start racking up the points.

Live Stream
                    Is is just me or did the live feed end when it was getting interesting?

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                      1972Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wish it was just you. Somebody must have had a plane to catch.

• 1972Shocker
                      1972Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Seems to be back up.

• Zack Penrod finished 4th in the 800 at 1:52.36 and Stan Swarlo was 8th at 1:56.32.

Comment

• Great win by Austin Corley in the 400 hurdles which is one my favorite, if not my favorite event. Anytime you dethrone a Houston sprinter you have done something.

Austin set a new PR at 50.07. Also a nice 4th place finish from Isaac Poe.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                        WuDrWu commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I believe a meet and stadium record as well. Some really REALLY impressive efforts this weekend.

• 1972Shocker
                        1972Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Indeed it was making it even more impressive.

• Fr. Miles Griffith eeked out a point with an 8th place finish in the high jump at 6-8. Unfortnately, Hunter Veith is nursing an injury and did not compete.

In the triple jump Jared Belard finished 2nd with a very good jump of 51-6.5 and Fr. Rayvon Allen, who appeared to be slightly hobbled with a left knee problem, finished 5th with a jump of 49-4.5.

Hunter Veith and Kaden Griffin unable ot compete due to injuries although it shows they each fouled on a 1st attempt so maybe they tried one jump before deciding to withdraw.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        With the AAC Outdoor Track and Field Chapionships coming up next Friday, Satruday and Sunday I thought I would see how the Shoker men might fare based on the AAC Performance Charts as they now stand. I assume that as he did in the Indoor Season Hunter Veith will not compete in the decathlon since he has a spot in the NCAA National Championship locked up with his 8,046 score he recorded at the Texas Relays in late March. As far as I know Hunter is healthy although I don't think he has participated in a any meet events since April 20th.

If you are not familiar withe the scoring the Top 8 finishers in each event score points receving from 1st thru 8th: 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1

Here are the Shocker men who are currently ranked in the Top 10 on the AAC Performance Charts:

100m - So. Denvoir Griffin - 10th - 10.58 (Ran 10.76 in the Prelims and did not qualify for the finals)

200m - None

400m - None

800m - So. Zack Penrod - 8th - 1:52.34 (Result: 1:52.36 - 4th - 5 Points)
                        800m - Jr. Stan Skarlo - 20th - 1:54.34 (Result: 1:56.32 - 8th - 1 Point)

1500m - So. Zack Penrod - 2nd - 3:45.41 (Result: 4:03.90 - 2nd Place - 8 Points)
                        1500m - Fr. Ben Flowers - 15th - 3:56.83 (Result: 4:17.60 Fell - 12th Place - No Points)
                        1500m - Jr. Stan Skwarlo - 34th - 4:01.32 (Result: 4:05.00- 5th Place - 4 Points)

5000m - Sr. Gage Garcia - 10th - 14:45.72 (Result: 15:08.11 - 9th Place - No Points)

10000m - Jr. Pedro Montoya - 7th - 31:11.35 (Result: Disqualified)
                        10000m - Sr. Gage Garcia 11th - 31:39.50 (Result: 31:31.88 - 4th Place - 5 points)

110h - Sr. Hunter Veith - 3rd - 14.34 (Result: 21.28 - 8th Place - 1 Point) - Ran Injured
                        110h - So. Colin Reichenberger - 9th - 14.65 (Result: 14.95 7th - 2 Points)
                        110h - Jr. Ben Johnson - 10th - 14.69 (Did not qualify for finals)

400h - Jr. Austin Corley - 3rd - 51.25 (Result: 50.07 - 1st Place - 10 Points)
                        400h - Sr. Isaac Poe - 5th - 52.35 (Result: 51.83 - 4th Place - 5 Points)

3000s - Jr. Nathan Wickoren - 8th - 9:18.09 (Result: 9:42.50 - 15th Place - No Points)
                        3000s - Sr. Austin Sturdy - 14th - 9:32.74 (Result: 9:19.67 - 7th Place - 2 Points)

4 x 100 Relay - Wichita State - 3rd - 40.28 (Result: Disqualified - No Points)

4 x 400 Relay - Wichita State - 5th 3:13.56 (Result: 3:13.39 - 5th Place - 4 Points)

High Jump - Sr. Hunter Veith - 3rd (3-Way Tie) - 6-10.75 (Did Not Compete Due to Injury)
                        High Jump - Fr. Miles Griffith - 7th (2-Way Tie) - 6-9 (Result: 6-8 - 8th Place 0 1 Point
                        High Jump - So. Kole Konrade - 9th - 6-8.75 (Result: 6-6 - 10 th Place - No Score)

Pole Vault - Jr. Hayden Bugner - 5th - 16-8.75 (Result: 16-10.75 - 2nd Place - 8 Points)
                        Pole Vault - Sr. Hunter Veith - 8th - 16-0.75 (Result: No Heighted - No Points)

Long Jump - Sr. Hunter Veith - 2nd - 25-6.25 (Result: 25-0 - 5th Place - 4 Points)
                        Long Jump - Jr. Jared Belardo - 4th - 25-4.5 (Result: 25-9.25 - 2nd Place - 8 Points)
                        Long Jump - Fr. Rayon Allen - 5th - 25-2 (Result: 25-3.5 - 4th Place - 5 Points)

Triple Jump - Fr. Rayvon Allen - 1st - 51-3.75 (Result: 49-4.5 - 5th - 4 Points)
                        Triple Jump - Jr. Jared Belardo - 2nd - 51-3 (Result: 51-6.5 - 2nd - 8 Points)
                        Triple Jump - Sr. Hunter Veith - No mark this season and he probably does not work on this event much since it is not part of the decathlon. He was triple jumper in high school. He took 3rd in the Valley Championships last year with a jump of 49-5 which would be 6th best in the AAC this year. (Hunter could not compete due to injury).

Shot Put - None

Discus - Jr. Isaiah Evans - 15th - 155-6 (Result: 160-2 - 9th Place - 0 Points)

Hammer - Jr. Isaiah Evans - 4th - 191-4 (Result: 185-7 - 4th Place - 5 Points)

Javelin - Jr. Aaron True - 1st - 236-5 (Result: 254-2 - 1st Place - 10 Points)
                        Javelin - Sr. Damien Odle - 6th - 222-8 (Result: 217-2 - 7th Place - 2 Points)
                        Javelin - Fr. Taran Taylor - 7th - 221-3 (Result: 243-7 - 2nd Place - 8 Points)
                        Javelin - Sr. John Hoplin - 8th - 209-2 (Result: 226-0 - 5th Place - 4 Points)

Decathlon - Sr. Hunter Veith - 1st - 8,046 (Not expected to compete - and did not)
                        Decathlon - Fr. Jake Horsch - 3rd - 7,009 (Result: 7,080 Points - 3rd Place - 6 Poiints)
                        Decathlon - Jr. Ben Johnson - 4th - 6,946 (Result: 7,272 Points - 2nd Place - 8 Poiints)
                        Decathlon - Jr. Kaden Griffin - 5th - 6,851 (Result: 6,628 Points - 8th Place - 1 Poiint)
                        Decathlon - So. Colin Reichenberger - 8th - 6,422 (Result: 6,646 Points - 7th Place - 2 Points)

By my calculations a finish equal to the current performance charts woudl produce about 130 points for the Shocker men. In last year's AAC Championships that would be good for a 3rd place finish.

Of course, points aren't awarded for your best peformance during the season but the actual results next weekend.

The Shocker men or the Shocker women need to outscore Tulsa to win the inaugural Havoc in the Heartlnad Trophy. With the women going through a major rebuidling of their team that will most likely have to be the Shocker men. Tulsa charts out at about 70 points. So if the Shocker mean are healthy and ready to go they should be able to get this done.
                        The Shockers finish 5th in the 4x400 relay and finish with 130 points. Exactly what I projected using the perfourmance charts. However, I really wasn't counitng on Hunter Veith being injured, Kaden Griffin and Rayvon Allen hobbled by injuries plus having 2 disqualifications. So the Shocks had some unexpected performances to make up for that.

Stan Skwarlo's 5 points in the 800 and 1500 were unexpected. Gage Garcia's 5 poitns in the 10k were unexpected. Austin's win in the 400 hurdles was a bit unexpected. Hayden Bugner's 2nd place in the pole vault was a big help and while we knew our javelin guys were very good they absolutely killed it.

As anticipated that 130 points earned the Shocker men a 3rd place finish. In addition, the Shocker men outscored Tulsa 130-78 and with that I believe the Shockers won the inaugural Havoc in the Heartland Trophy.

Final Team Scores: http://live.finishtiming.com/#/resul...01800171/score

Well done Shocks.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 13, 2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Excellent work on the track threads!

• 1972Shocker
                          1972Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks.

• Some additional highlights and color from the AAC Track & Field Championship:

Jr. Aaron True's winning javelin mark of 77.49m/254-2 , in addition to seting a new conference meet record and WSU school record, currently ranks No. 4 in the NCAA's and is the furthest throw by an American in 2018. It is aslso the furhest throw by a Valedictorian of Southern Coffey County High School in Leroy, Kansas. BTW, as a freshman in high school Aaron's best throw was 105 feet. I'd say he is progressing nicely.

Fr. Taran Taylor earned all-conference honors (top 3 finish) finishing second with a personal best throw of 74.26m/243-7, his mark is currently fifth best in the nation and No. 2 on the Shocker all-time list. Just a year ago Taran was finishing his Arkansas City high school career with a peronal best of 186-4.

This may say something about the quality of coaching these guys get from 17-year assistant coach John Hetzendorf.

RSo. Austin Corley won the 400m hurdles race with a time of 50.07 entered the day ranked No. 38 in the nation and walked away with a title and the 7th fastest time in the nation.

Shocker Men All-Conference Honors (Top 3 Finish in the AAC Championships):

All-Conference
                        Aaron True - Javelin (Champion)
                        Austin Corley - 400m Hurdles (Champion)
                        Ben Johnson - Decathlon (Second)
                        Hayden Bugner - Pole Vault (Second)
                        Jared Belardo - Long Jump (Second)
                        Jared Belardo - Triple Jump (Second)
                        Taran Taylor - Javelin (Second)
                        Zack Penrod - 1500m (Second)
                        Jake Horsch - Decathlon (Third)

All 8 of these guys will be back next year.
                        CINCINNATI – Aaron True won the javelin breaking the American Athletic Conference meet record and Winny Koskei won the 5000m to earn her second title in three days.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 14, 2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• There is not a whole lot to see in this very short video but you can see what a 254' 2" javelin throw looks like on release. This video also shows how these college track and field athletes for the most part toil away in anonymity.

https://twitter.com/GoShockersTFXC/s...06168001744896

There it is! There it is! There it is!
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 15, 2018, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X