No announcement yet.

2017-18 Shocker Men XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up next is the pole vault. This usually takes some time to complete but with the live stats for this event really are live stats so you can follow the progress.

The have split the field into 2 flights. Hunter is in Flight 1. I'm pretty sure they have dual jump lanes. After all it is the University of Texas.

Schedule to start at 12:30 pm.

If the NCAA indoor championship is any guide Hunter will probably enter the competition at somewhere around 15 feet.

Hunter still has a shot at breaking the 8,000 point mark but he will have to perform pretty much at his personal best levels in the PV, Javelin and 1,500m run to do that.

Hunter came in at 14-9 and had cleared 15-5. He has missed his 1st two attempts at 15-9

Hunter clears 15-9 which is just under his PR on his 3rd and final attempt at that height. The bar moves to 16 feet.

Hunter clears 16-0.75 on his 2nd try. A new PR.

The bar moves to 16-4.75. All 3 guys remaining miss at this height.

Very good result for Hunter. Hunter increases his lead to 227 points with the javelin and 1500m to go.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 29, 2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I always kind of hold my breath wth the Javelin since Hunter has had Tommy John surgery on his elbow his sophomore year.

His PR came last June at the NCAA Outdoor Decathlon Championship at 55.95m/183-7. So his best throw has been post-surgery.

Hunter Veith went 172-9 on his 1st attempt, 170-1 on his second attempt and then came through witha a 182-11 effrot on his final throw.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 29, 2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

After 9 events Hunter is sitting at 7,443 points which is 156 points ahead of Solomon Simmons of Kennesaw State.

Hunter needs to run 5:00.3 in the 1,500m run or better to hit the 8,000 points or better. His PR is 4:46.38. That event is schedule to start at 4:00 pm.

Let's go Hunter!

Comment

If I'm reading correctly, Veith went 4:52.63 (8th) in the 1500m to finish at 8046, exactly 100 points clear of 2nd place Simmons of Kennesaw St.

Congratulations on the victory and fantastic score, Veith!

Comment

Hunter comes in at 4:52.63, wins the Texas Relays Decathlon with 8,046 points and is the first 8,000 point decathlete in Wichtia State History and my guess is, in the short history of the AAC as well.

Congratulations Hunter.

This will easilty quaify Hunter for the 2018 NCAA Outdoor Decathlon Championship and he and the Shocker coaching staff can now plan the rests of Hunter's Spring seasin with an eye on having him at his top forum come National Championship time on June 6th.

:poster_shocks: Go Hunter :yahoo:

Comment

One person who might be happier than Hunter is Coach Rainbolt. Congratulations to Coach Bolt and his staff as well and good luck keeping Hunter healhty and sharp.

Comment

• Cdizzle
                Cdizzle commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting run of success in these multi-events. Requires unreal athleticism, but one also reasons pretty fantastic coaching. Very difficult for individuals to become technically proficient in that many events.

If history is any guide, that will probably be a Top 5ish score for the entire outdoor season.

Rankings for middle school, high school, and college athletes. Compare yourself against athletes in your district, your state, or the nation.

Comment

That's a pretty special accomplishment.

Comment

• Cdizzle
                  Cdizzle commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi, my name is WuDrWu, and I make understatements.

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                If history is any guide, that will probably be a Top 5ish score for the entire outdoor season.

https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndFie...9753&Event=103
                Yep. And notice the top 4 guys on that list were all seniors last year.

This was probably the first decathlon of the year where some of the top guys competed. Last year Hunter qualified 15th at 7,610. His 8,046 would have qualified 4th last year.

You may had as many as 5 guys put up qualifying scores at the Texas Relays but the 4th and 5th guys could be on the bubble down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Seems very special it to me. Too bad it occurs in a relative vacuum. But I'm sure track and field folks are or will be very well aware of Hunter's work yesterday and today.

BTW, if Hunter had made the long jump and pole vault that he did yesterday and today during the NCAA Heptathlon Championship 3 weeks ago he would have edge out Tim Duckworth 6,193 to 6,188 for the national championship.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 29, 2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

nm

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      "I am really proud of Hunter Veith," head track and field director Steve Rainbolt said. "The normal track and field fan is not even aware of what a significant accomplishment an 8,000 point decathlon is and he has truly put himself among the upper level decathletes in the world."
                      AUSTIN, Texas – Senior All-American Hunter Veith bettered his school record winning the decathlon at the Texas Relays with 8,046 points.

Comment

nm

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

AUSTIN, Texas – Senior All-American Hunter Veith bettered his school record winning the decathlon at the Texas Relays with 8,046 points.
                          From what I have seen in the media so far, it is difficult for photos of Veith to not be ridiculous.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                            1972Shocker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I've noticed that. What could it be?

• ShockTalk
                            ShockTalk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think you 2 should tell him that.

• 1972Shocker
                            1972Shocker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I would be happy to. What is ridiculous about Hunter and his action photos is how ridiculously cut this guy is. I am assuming that is what Cdizzle was referring to in his post as well. Although I could be misinterpreting his drift.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 30, 2018, 11:12 PM.

BTW, I just looked up the AAC Decathlon record before Hunter's assault this past Wednesday and Thursday. It was 7,471 by Luis Hanssler of Memphis in 2014.

New standard indeed.

Comment

Working...
                          X