Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wichita State is hosting the Shocker Prelude on Thursday, January11th at the Heskett Center. As its name implies this is an event that serves as an introduction to something more important. Teams participating consist of D-II prorgams (Emporia State, Fort Hays State and Oklahoma Baptist), NAIA programs (Friends and Ottawa) and Butler Couinty CC.

Not that there are not some quality athletes in these other programs but this meet is clearly not a major meet but one where younger athletes can compete and gain expreience in a meet setting at the beginning of the season. Hunter Veith will not be competing in this meet.

On Saturday the Shockers head to Manhattan for a traingular meet witth host K-State and Kansas which will provide a high level of competition. I assume Hunter will be in an event or two this weekend but start lists aren't available at this point.

While the Lady Shocks are in a rebuilding year I believe Coach Rainbolt thinks the Shocker men's team can be very competitive in the AAC this year.

Head track and field coach Steve Rainbolt, Jared Belardo, Kelsey Slawson, Natalie Halfman and Alex Adams fielded questions, Monday, on the upcoming Shocker Prelude and WSU/KSU/KU Triangular meet.

Comment

This weekend s the 4th annual KSU - KU - WSU Triangular Indoor Meet. This is kind of a neat meet. Only the top two finishers from each school score using a 6-5-4-3-2-1 format. So team depth isn't quite as important. If your team takes the top 5 spots in the event they still only score 11 points and if you have the two worst performers in an event you still score 3 points. The men's and women's scores are combined into a single overall score. Last year this meet was held in the Hesket Center with the KU winning with 241 points, KSU 2nd with 231 points and WSU 3rd with 217 points. This meet stems from a KSU - KU - Mizzou Triangular that was held from 1989 through 2006 when it was discontinued. The current triangular started up in 2015. Not sure who are what was the catalyst. I hope it continues.

This year they are doing something a little different to finish off the meet. Typically track meets are concluded with the women and then the men running their 4x400 relays. This year in Manhattan the meet will concluded with a mixred 4x400 relay with two men and two women on each team. Kind of neat twist.

I have always noticed that Wichita State carries a large roster of track and field athletes with a relatively large representation of Kansas kids. However, I had never compared that to the rosters of KU and K-State. I did that comparison and found that WSU not only has a larger roster but the number of Kansas kids on the roster is the largest both in absolute numbers and as a % of the overall rosters:

KSU Men: 17 Kansans/39 Total = 43.6%; KU Men: 22/49 = 44.9%; WSU Men: 38/64 = 59.4%

KSU Women: 13 Kansans/40 Total = 32.5%; KU Women: 16/49 = 32.7%; WSU Women 34/64 = 53.1%

Now why WSU carries such large rosters and why they have more native Kansan representation on their rosters is hard to say. They all have the same number of scholarships to divvy up. 12.6 for the men and 18 for the women. Theses scholarship limits include XC and all three schools have both men's and women's XC teams.

Perhaps it is just a difference in recruiting philosophy. Go after higher quality athletes and offer larger scholarships and are go for numbers and spread your scholarships thinner. This is jus a WAG but if that is the case I wonder if moving over to the AAC will cause Coach Rainbolt to change his philosophy any or continue as he has in the past.

Comment

You can watch a live stream of the Shocker Prelude at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqgSSjcPLFU

I'm home sick so I can. Not sure who is doing the color commengtary but he is very good.

I think the color commentator is Cooper Hanning who ran indoor hurdles for the Shocks. He is out Wichita Trinity HS and graduated form WSU in 2012.

The lead announcer miight be WIll Kunkle.

Hunter Veith will be participating in the hurdles and the pole vault in Manhattan on Saturday. Hunter said the pole vault was the hardest event to learn but it was also his favorite event.

Will is good, he thought Hunter Veith was a Freshman. Oh brother.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; 5 days ago.

Comment

KSU-KU-WSU Triangular Recap

Results

Comment

Working...
          X