No announcement yet.

Shocker Men's Golf - 2015 Spring Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shocks lead the shell-shocked Illinois State Redbirds by 56 strokes after 2 rounds. You don't often see a team fall that far from expectations in the game of golf.

Comment

All scorecards are in now.

An excellent day for the Shocks.

Comment

Gary Player would probably love this Shocker team.

Alex at 6-4 and Conrad at 6-1 are a couple of strapping lads. However, LCB, Jacob and Grant are all very Gary Player-like as all are listed at 5-7.

Comment

Shocks are 4-over after 5 holes but their lead has grown to 25 strokes.

The biggest negative at this point is that Conrad Walcher is 6-over after 5 holes with a double-bogey and triple-bogey on #4 and #5. That kind of eliminates the margin of safety of having all 5 guys grouped fairly close together and puts a little more pressure on he other 4 guys.

I doubt if it will prove to be of any real consequence though with the big lead the Shocks have.

Comment

I think we could put together a ShockerNet team for tomorrow's round and still keep the title.
            78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              I think we could put together a ShockerNet team for tomorrow's round and still keep the title.
              Winter rules and mulligans?
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                Winter rules and mulligans?
                As long as we understand that gambling is illegal at Bushwood and that Doc never slices...
                78-65

Comment

As long as we understand that gambling is illegal at Bushwood and that Doc never slices...
                  Better to be a slicer than a "hooker."
                  Just sayin.

Comment

Especially since today's round is the final round.

Shocks up by 31 over Northern Iowa. I think they are getting close to lapping the field for a second time.

If no one has done the honors this one is in the DEEP FREEZE. Probably was their after the first 2 rounds yesterday.

Comment

Freshman Jacob Bishop has had an interesting round. He was 1-under on the front nine but did not make 1 par. He had 5 birdies and 4 bogeys.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 28, 2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

LCB is 3-over through 14. He still has a 3-shot lead in the medalist race and he has a 3-shot lead with 4 holes to play.

Comment

Shocks finish the day at 3-over par and finish the tournament at even par squeezing by UNI and SIU by 37 strokes.

Shocker Sr. Louis Cohen Boyer (LCB) did bring home medalist honors with his 5-under par tournament but his string of 5 consecutive sub 70's round ended as he shot a 3-over 75.

However, So. Grant Bennett and Fr. Jacob Bishop picked up the Shockers' Senior leader. Grant was 4-under 68 today with a very steady round that included 5 birdies and only 1 bogey. Jacob was a little more up and down today but he managed a 2-under round of 70 in around that included 7 birdies and 5 bogeys. The Shocker Smurfs were on the attack again today.

Alec Heinen was 6-over today that included a triple-bogey on 15 and Conrad Walcher was 7-over in after being 6-over after 5 holes low-lighted by a double-bogey on 4 and a triple-bogey on 5.

Illinois State, the unanimous pick to finish 2nd behind the Shocks, was never a factor and finished dead last in 9th place at 65-over par. Major ouch for the Redbirds.

Great job Shocks.

Now it's on to the NCAA Championships.

Comment

All-Conference
                            Grant Bennett, Wichita State
                            Jacob Bishop, Wichita State
                            Conrad Walcher, Wichita State
                            Louis Cohen Boyer, Wichita State
                            Kyle Driscoll, UNI
                            Wade Thompson, Southern Illinois
                            Joey Johnson, Missouri State
                            Garret Buckley, Loyola
                            Tyler Gentilella, Illinois State
                            Jordan Fahel, Illinois State

Elite 18 Award Winner: Wade Thompson, Southern Illinois (3.688 Accounting)
                            Newcomer of the Year: Jacob Bishop, Wichita State
                            Golfer of the Year: Louis Cohen Boyer, Wichita State
                            Coach of the Year: Grier Jones, Wichita State

Congratulations Coach Jones and his band of Smurfs + Conrad. Hopefully, they have room to haul all the hardware back to Wichita.

Comment

Worth noting:

The 37-stroke margin is the largest in the league in a 54-hole tournament since 1962. (53 years ago)

It is the 20th title for the Shockers overall and eighth-straight. It is the 14th Missouri Valley Conference championship for head coach Grier Jones.
                              The eight-straight titles is second only to Oklahoma State’s MVC-record nine-consecutive titles.

Head Coach Grier Jones earned Coach of the Year honors for the eighth-straight time and the 13th time in his career.

Senior Louis Cohen Boyer earned Golfer of the Year honors for the second-straight season. He is only the second player in league history to win back-to-back GOY honors. He also earned all-conference honors all four years and is just the sixth player to do that in MVC history.

LCB is probably one Shocker student-athlete that deserves a lot more public acclaim that he has gotten during his career. Maybe Paul Suellentrop or one of his associates at the Eagle will do an article on LCB and the men's golf team. I kind of hate seeing this kind of success seemingly being taken for granted.

Comment

Grier once told me if I listened to him he would make me a pro. Quite obviously I am a poor listener. The man knows the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X