2023-24 Shocker Men's Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

image.png

Jose looks like an interesting Juco recruit. This past fall his scores were kind of all over the place. He played 11 rounds in the fall with scorings ranging from a 69 to 7 rounds between 73 and 77 and 3 rounds in the low 80's for a stroke average of 75.8.

However, he seems to have found his game this Spring. He is going into this weeks NJCAA National Championship with a 70.9 stroke average over 14 rounds this Spring with a 78 being his outlier on the high side. Not sure what to attribute the improvement to. Perhaps just playing easier courses. Over those 14 rounds this he is a collective 3-under par. In his last outing he was the medalist at the NJCAA Central District Championship with an 8-under 208 (67-67-74).

In the opening round of the NJCAA National Championships today in Hobbs, NM his team is not faring very well but not because Jose isn't play well. His team finished Round 1 at 11-over par but Jose shot a 4-under 67 with his teammates only able to chip in a 75, 76 and 77. Indian Hills is only 1 of 3 teams that have completed their round today so a lot of golf still to be played but I think Jose will probably be near the top of the individual leaderboard. Jose recorded 7 birdies, 3 bogeys and 8 parts in today's round.

2024 NJCAA Championship Live Stats
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 14, 2024, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Michael Winslow will a senior this coming year for the Shocks while Zach Sokolosky finished his eligibility with the Shockers this past season. Too bad they are paired together in the semi-finals but that does guarantee a for a Shocker to be in the final.

Sorry Zach I my rooting interest has to be with Michael. MIchael is a pure bred Shocker while you are only one 1/6th Shocker after spending your first 5 years in college as Jayhawk. I think Zach is the reigning champion.

Cooper Schultz (K-State) and Will King (KU) square off in the other semi-final match.

Rooting for a Winlsow vs Schultz match up in the finals.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 20, 2024, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Am I suffering a bad case of deja vu or did something similar happen last year too?

Comment

Trailing Zach Sokolosky by 2-holes with 4 holes to play Michael Winslow won the 15th, 16th and 17th holes to go 1-up. Both players carded 3's on the 18th and Michael secures the 1-up victory to move on to Sunday's 36-hole championship final.

A birdie on the 19th hole by KU's Will King gave him a playoff win over KSU's Cooper Schultz to join the Shocker's Michael Winslow in Sundays 36-hole Championship.

Comment

After the first 18 holes of todays 36-hole final the Shockers Michael Winslow and KU's Will King were even with both guys winning 5 holes each and having 8 holes. King shot 71 and Winslow shot a 73 which. of course, is not really a factor in match play.

In the the 2nd round Michael's birdie on 1 put him up 1. Will responded with wins on #3 and #6 to go 1-up. A birdie, birdie, par by Michel on #7, #8 and #9 to finish off the front 9 gave him 3 wins and a 2-up lead heading into the final 9.

A birdie on 12 puts Michael 3-up. Will gets it back to a 2 hole deficit with a win on 13 but Michael responds with a win on 14 to back to 3-up with 4 holes to play.

Both guys card pars on the par 5 15th. Michael remains 3-up with 3 to play. Just needs to halve one of the final 3 holes.

The final 3 holes are all par 4's and ranked 4th, 3rd and 13th toughest on the course. In round 1 King won 16, Winslow won 17 and they both birdied 18.

Will KIng wins the 16th with a birdie and stays alive down 2 with 2 to go.

Both guys bogeyed the tough par-4 17th but that is all Michael need to close out the Championship 2 and 1.

I give you the 2024 Kansas Amateur Champion, Wichita State's Michael Winslow.

image.png

Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 21, 2024, 03:48 PM.

Comment

36 holes? I need a back massage.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

36 holes? I need a back massage.
                Actually, Michael was able to finish it off in 34 holes. But either way I'm sure his back feels g-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-eat!

Comment

Winslow Wins 114th Annual Kansas Amateur

In a hotly contested championship match, Wichita State men's golfer Michael Winslow defeated Kansas Jayhawk Will King to win the 2024 Kansas Amateur title on Sunday afternoon at Topeka Country Club.

Winslow, a native of Overland Park, Kansas, took down six golfers to take the crown, including defeats of two-seed Alex Springer as well as the reigning Kansas Am Champion and Shocker teammate, Zach Sokolosky. Winslow avenged his defeat to Sokolosky in last year's championship match with a come-from-behind victory over his former teammate in this year's championship semifinal.

"This win is a testament to Mike's hard work and dedication to his craft," head men's golf coach Judd Easterling said. "He never loses faith in his game, and I am so proud of him and his results this week."​

A Shocker has now won the Amateur event in back-to-back years and Winslow is the fourth Shocker since 2010 to win the event, joining Sokolosky last year, Gage Ihrig in 2017, and Hunter Sparks in 2011.

This past season, Winslow earned AAC All-Conference honors and finished a stellar fourth place as an individual at the 2024 AAC Championship.

Winslow will look to carry his strong finish last season and his Kansas Am Championship into a strong 2024-25 senior campaign.​

With the win at the Kansas Am, Winslow will now compete in the U.S. Amateur Championship, which begins on August 12 at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, Minnesota.

Comment

Such a tough tournament. Even in my prime, making match play would have just been folly for me. Congrats Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Such a tough tournament. Even in my prime, making match play would have just been folly for me. Congrats Michael!
                      I played 1 round at the Topeka Club. It was so long ago (roughly 50 years) that it is arrogant of me to even think I can remember much about that and who knows how much the course may have changed or even if it is the same one. IIRC, it wasn't overly long but you darn well better be able to hit it straight and in the right spots.

Comment

No beer cart chicks, gotta leave your shirt on, and no foot mullies. These guys must REALLY know how to play. And I mean that literally.

Dang, I miss Echo Hills.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

TCC went through a major renovation the last few years. They removed hundreds of trees, added fairway bunkers and the now the rough is a lot thicker. Probably a wash as far as difficulty.

I play there kind of frequently and on a busy Saturday you could hear balls pinging off trees all day long. But most roughs weren't too thick because they were completely covered in shade.

Also added is a water hazard on the approach to par 4 #17. New tee boxes etc. I don't think the length changed much.

Before the tree removal, the other toughest thing on TCC were three long par-3s. 180-200 yards from the whites. The other par 3 is 160 with a very difficult green. If your tee shot goes past the hole, there is virtually no chance for a birdie and you pray for a par because of the downward slope.

Comment

Michael wasn't exactly a icon of consistency in this stroke play tournament shooting 68 (-4) + 78 (+6) + 64 (-8) = 210 (-6) for a 2-stroke win in the open division. I think they call that 6-under the hard way. His 8-under 64 in the final round was far and away the best score of that final round. There were only 2 other sub-par rounds in the final round as both the 2nd and 3rd place finishes card 1-under 71's.

Comment

Every time I see his name I can only think of this man

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

RH: Podcast with Kansas Amateur Champion Michael Winslow

Listen to the podcast

Wichita State golfer Michael Winslow will play in the U.S. Amateur Championship from Aug. 12-18 at Hazeltine National Golf Club. Winslow won the Kansas Amateur in July in Topeka, part of a summer that included winning the Kansas City Amateur and advancing to the semifinals of the Missouri Amateur. We talk about the mental game that is fueling his hot streak and what he learned playing in the 2022 U.S. Amateur.

We also talk about preparing for Hazeltine, what it means to add his name to the list of Kansas Amateur champions and his advice for young golfers.

Winslow, a senior from Overland Park, ended the spring for the Shockers by tying for fourth in the AAC Championship to help WSU finish third, its best finish as a conference member.

Comment

Working...
                                X