2023-24 Shocker Men's Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winslow Set to Compete in 124th U.S. Amateur

Wichita State men's golf senior Michael Winslow is set to open play in the 124th U.S. Amateur on Monday afternoon at Chaska Town Course.

The stroke play portion of the Amateur is split into two rounds between two courses. Winslow will play round one at Chaska at 1:03 PM CT on Monday and will tee off in round two at 7:33 AM CT on Tuesday at Hazeltine National Golf Club.​

After stroke play concludes, the 312-player field will be trimmed down to the top 64 scores for match play, which runs Wednesday through Sunday's 36-hole championship match. The champion and runner-up of the U.S. Amateur will receive exemptions into the 2025 U.S. Open at Oakmont Country Club as well as likely invitations to the Masters Tournament in April. The winner also gets a spot in the 2025 Open Championship at Royal Portrush.

Results: USGA

Comment

Michael shot a 1-over par 71 on the Chaska Town Course yesterday and he shot a 1-over par 73 on Hazeltine National Course today. That puts him in a logjam with slew of other players in 113th place.

I think it is clear that Michael will not make the top 64 who will advance to the match play portion of the tournament. But not really a terrible effort by Michael at all on what I presume to be fairly challenging courses.

Comment

Michael performed very well in his two medal rounds. The current projected cut for match play is even par which means an eighteen way playoff for final four spots. He has many positives to carry him into fall golf season.

Comment

This young man "gets it" and I suspect he'll continue to improve in his last year, and I suspect Judd will have his best squad in '24-'25.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            This young man "gets it" and I suspect he'll continue to improve in his last year, and I suspect Judd will have his best squad in '24-'25.
            That is a pretty optimistic take as HCJE has to replace 3 pretty solid seniors in Blake Lorenz, Zach Sokolosky and Aston Castillo.

What are you seeing or hearing that leads you to your optimism?

Comment

Working...
            X