2023-24 Shocker Men's Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiger Invitational - Round 1

It would appear that this Auburn golf course is indeed a challenging one. At least for the Shocks. The Shock lived up to seeding in the 18 team field (Auburn is playing both and A and a B team) as the Shocks came in at 32-over par and last place at the end of Round 1.

Michael Winslow had a solid round at 3-over 75 which put him in a tie for 6th place on the individual leaderboard. Astin Casitllo followed with a 7-over par 79 with Bake Lorenz and Lucs Scheufler both carding 11-over par 83's

Zach's 14-over 86 was the throw away score.

That should take are of it. Looks for the Shocks to play better golf in this afternoons second round.

Comment

I did actually play from the ladies tees one time, the first time I was on the course in junior golf, I played from the front tees. I was 9, I reached the par 5 ninth hole with driver, driver 9 iron and was promptly kicked out of that division. I thought I had done something wrong. Local touring pro Grier Jones happened to see me, pulled me aside and told me if I would listen to him he'd turn me into a pro. I informed him I was the world's worst putter. He quickly believed me and went in another direction.

Comment

Tiger Invitational - Round 2

The Shocks improved their score from round 1 by 10 strokes putting up a 22-over 310 to put them at 54-over heading into round 3. However, most of the field had lower scores in round 2 as well. The Shocks did move up 1 spot from 18th to 17th moving ahead of Georgia State. Auburn leads at 6-over par and is 12 strokes clear their closest pursuer. Fellow AAC member FAU sits in 11th place at 39-over.

Michael Winslow and Astin Castillo both shot 4-over par 76's, Blake Lorenz shot 6-over 78 and Lucas Scheuffler shot an 8-over 80.

Zach Sokolosky had the throw away card at 9-over 81 and is tied for last place on the individual leaderboard.

Comment

Better Call Saal?
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Tiger Invitational - Round 3

I would lake to say things got better for the Shocks in the final round, but unfortunately I can't. The Shocks finish solidly in last place at 87-over par, 10 strokes behind 17th place Jacksonville. State.

Blake Lorenze (75, +3) and Aston Castillo (77, +5) were somewhat respectable.but Zach Zokolosky (83, +11), Lucas Scheuffler (85, +13) and Michael Winslow (86, +14) simply could not get anything going.

Auburn cruised to the tournament win at 16-over. Fellow AAC member ECU was 8th at 55-over and FAU was 10th at 63-over.

Comment

Lorenz Ties for Third, Shockers Finish as Runner-Up at Twin Oaks Intercollegiate

Led by senior Blake Lorenz, the Shocker men's golf team finished as tournament runner-up in Missouri State's Twin Oaks Intercollegiate played on the par 71 Twin Oaks Country Club course.

The Shockers finished in 2nd, ending with a team score of 841 and 11 strokes under-par. Oral Roberts won the team trophy at 18 strokes under-par and Oral Roberts' Jackson Butler and Max Kreikemeier of Missouri State split the individual title with a score of 206, seven strokes under-par. This was a 13-team field mostly Valley, Summit and Ohio Valley level teams.

ROUND THREE STANDINGS (FINAL)
              Team: 2nd, 287-277-277—841 (-11)
              t-3rd Blake Lorenz: 73-67-67--207 (-6)
              t-10th Aston Castillo: 73-66-71--210 (-3)
              t-20th Lucas Scheufler: 71-73-70--214 (+1)
              t-25th Michael Winslow: 70-75-70--215 (+2)
              t-25th Zach Sokolosky: 74-71-70--215 (+2)

Individual:
              t-24th Adam Balatka 72-69-74—215 (+2)

FINAL TEAM STANDINGS
              1st. Oral Roberts – 281-277-276--834 (-18)
              2nd. Wichita State – 287-277-277--841 (-11)
              3rd. Missouri State – 282-279-285—846 (-6)
              4th. Drake – 287-280-282--849 (-3)
              5th. Austin Peay – 290-281-281—852 (E)
              6th. SIUE – 285-286-282—853 (+1)
              7th. Lindenwood – 285-285-281—851 (+2)
              t-8th. Northern Iowa – 293-286-277--856 (+4)
              t-8th. Omaha – 282-288-286--856 (+4)
              10th. UT-Martin – 292-287-285—864 (+12)
              11th. Bradley – 292-299-288—879 (+27)
              12th. Western Illinois – 291-296-296—883 (+31)
              13th. Evangel – 308-303-306—917 (+65)
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 20, 2024, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Head Coach Judd Easterling was excited to see Lorenz selected.

"He's ready to knock down the door and get it done," said Easterling. "He got off to a slow start on Monday morning in the cold weather but played really great in the last two rounds on Tuesday."​

Comment

The Wichita State men's golf team continues their 2024 spring campaign with a trip to Maricopa, Arizona and Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club to compete in the Wyoming Cowboy Classic.​

Fast Facts – Wyoming Cowboy Classic
                  Dates: Monday-Tuesday, Apr. 1-2, 2024
                  Host: Wyoming
                  Location: Maricopa, Arizona (Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club)
                  Yardage: 7,546 Yards; Par: 72
                  Format: 54 Holes (36 first day, 18 second day)
                  Live Scoring: Golfstat
                  The Field: 23 teams - Team (Clippd Team Ranking)
                  Long Beach State (49), UNLV (51), Kansas (61), Grand Canyon (63), CSU-Fullerton (68), Saint Mary's (77), Kennesaw State (99), Iowa State (101), USC (103), UC-Davis (117), UTEP (118), Cal State – Northridge (123), Wyoming (124), Hawaii (140), UC-Irvine (163), Utah Valley (167), Northern Colorado (172), Wichita State (175), UT-Arlington (179), Utah State (181), Weber State (204), Air Force (251), Southern Utah (258)

Shocker Five:

Blake Lorenz (Sr.); Aston Castillo (Sr.), Zach Sokolosky (Sr.); Michael Winslow (Jr.); Lucas Scheufler (R-Jr.)

With 3 seniors and 2 juniors in their lineup the Shocker 5 would seemingly be a relatively experienced group. Nevertheless, based on the rankings they would be the 18th seed in 23 team field.

At 7,546 yards this is a long course. Anything over 7,225 is yards is in the top 10% of courses in the United States. 2,341 yards (31%) of that that total length comes from 4 par fives (an average of 585 yards per hole).​ However, that length does not necessarily equate to tough scoring and, in fact, as the end of the 1st round is nearing the scoring looks to be pretty low overall with 15 of the 23 currently with team scores under par.

Wyoming Cowboy Classic Round 1

Round 1 is in the books with the Shocks sitting right in the middle in 11th place with a 3-under par 285. They are 13 shots behind the leader Grand Canyon and 11 shots clear of last place Utah State. Pretty tightly bunched in the middle. Perhaps more so with the teams behind the Shocks.

Individually, Aston Castillo led the way with a 4-under 68, followed by Blake Lorenz at 3-under 69, with Michael Winslow and Zach Sokolosky both coming in at 2-+over 74. Lucas Scheufler had the throw away score of 3-over 75.

To give you an idea how the course is playing Aston's 4-under 68 is only good for a 7-way tie for 12 place and Blake's 3-under 69 has him in a 9-way tie for 19th place on the player leaderboard.

Wyoming Cowboy Classic Round 2

The Shocks were able to pick it up a little bit in the Monday afternoon round with a 6-under par 282 score which moved them up one notch to 10th place.

Individually, Aston Castillo again led the Shocks with a 2nd consecutive 4-under 68, followed by Blake Lorenz at 2-under 70, Zach Sokolosky at 1-under 71 and Michael Winslow at 1-over 73. Lucas Scheufler again had the throw away score at 4-over 76.

Aston moved up to a 3-way tie for 3rd place on the players leaderboard.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Wyoming Cowboy Classic Round 3

The Shocks put together another solid score card to close out this tournament with a second straight 6-under par 282 as they finish alone in 9th place at 15-under par for the tournament, 9 spots better than their ranking seed. The top 4 teams were pretty tightly bunched with GCU winning the team trophy at 31-under par followed by UNLV at 29-under, Iowa State at 28-under and Southern Cal at 26-under. The Shocks almost ran down KU and St. Mary's who tied for 7th at 16-under par. The Shocks picked up 6 strokes on KU and 7 on St. Mary's in the final round.

It was truly a team effort today Aston Castillo birdied his final hole to finish the round at 2-under 70 which was matched by Zach Sokolosky while Blake Lorenz and Michael Winslow each card 1-under 71's. While this course seemed receptive to low scoring it is still pretty rare (I don't really remember seing it before) to have all 4 of the Shocker counters to finish at under par in the same round. Lucas Schueffler had the throw away round again this time at 5-over 77.

For the tournament the Shocks scores were as follows:
                    Aston Castillo: 68-68-70 = 206 (-10) Tied for 4th on the individual leaderboard.
                    Blake Lorenz: 69-70-71 = 210 (-6) Tied for 13th on the individual leaderboard)
                    Zach Sokolosky: 74-71-70 = 215 (-1)
                    Michael Winslow: 74-73-71 = 218 (+2)

Final Leaderboard

A very nice performance for the guys.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Interesting…

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                        Interesting…

Someone's parents on the golf team? I saw that too and was wondering why we would be spending AD budget there otherwise

Comment

No, not parents. Corporate sponsorship due to coach (Judd) working hard.

Tennis have done similar things behind the scenes. Colin and Darragh do great work, I just wish they had more success.

Comment

Fast Facts – American Athletic Conference Championship
                            Dates: Friday-Sunday, Apr. 19-21, 2024
                            Yardage: 6,881; Par: 70
                            Format: 54 Holes, 18 each day
                            Live Scoring: Golfstat

The Shocks are seeded 11th in the 12 team field ahead of only Temple. SMU and host USF are the favorites.

Shocker Five: Blake Lorenz (Sr.), Aston Castillo (Sr.), Zach Sokolosky (Sr.), Michael Winslow (Jr.), and Lucas Scheufler (R-Jr.)

Last edited by 1972Shocker; 1 week ago.

Comment

AAC Championship - Round 1

A strong first round showing for the Shocker men as they put together a 1-under par team total of 279 and sit in 2nd place 2 shots behind SMU. Memphis is 1 shot back of the Shocks and South Florida is 2 back of the Shocks. Only 6 shots separate SMU form 6th place UAB.

First let me point out that Lucas Scheufler really struggled in round 1 coming in at 9-over 79 but his teammates had his back and rendered Lucas' bad day irrelevant. Michael Winslow led the Shocks with a 2-under 68 with both Blake Lorenz and Zach Sokolosky caming in at 1-under 69 and Aston Castillo at 3-over 73. Winslow, Lorenz and Sokolosky are all in the top 10 on the leaderboard.

Michael, Blake, Zach and Aston combined for 42 pars, 15 birdies, 12 bogeys and 1 double bogey over 72 holes.

Perhaps the best team round of the year for the Shocks. Now can they maintain this through 2 more rounds.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Wow, very nice start!

Comment

Working...
                                X