2022-23 Shocker Men XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go Shockers - Shockers Look to Extend Postseason at NCAA Regionals

The women's 6K is set for 11 a.m. with the men's 10K to follow at noon. Both races will be live streamed on YouTube.

The Shocker men are coming off a second-place conference team finish behind a Tulsa team that moved up to No. 6 in the USTFCCCA National Coaches Poll, where four Wichita State men earned all-conference honors by finishing in the top 15 to help the team.

Two of the top-10 nationally-ranked teams reside in the Midwest Region, making No. 4 Oklahoma State and No. 6 Tulsa the favorites to advance to the NCAA Championships.

The Shockers enter the regional meet ranked eighth in the region despite having beaten three of teams slated ahead of them head-to-head, including South Dakota State at the Roy Griak Invitational and Bradley and Drake at the Bradley Pink Classic.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Men finished 5th at the midwest regional 10k.

Duchatschek finished 18th (was 9th at, I think, the 7k mark). Diaz-Lopez 23rd.

Though an OkieState runner finished first, they tied with Tulsa with 49 pts each. But head-to-head, Tulsa's top 5 (top 4 finishing 3, 4, 5 and 6) runners finished better than OSU's top 5, giving them the team championship.

Comment

Looks like we've signed distance runner Ian Schram from Festus, MO
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          Looks like we've signed distance runner Ian Schram from Festus, MO
          Hopefully, he's a 5-star...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

All the sites I found with information for him had most of the info redacted for paying customers.

I think I saw something that at least made it appear as though he finished 2nd in MO last year in whatever distance it was. I wish I remembered and I just don't want to go look it back up right now.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

The Shockers are holding their traditional Black and Yellow Intra-Squad meet at the Heskett Center this week to kick off the Indoor Track & Field season. I think this is mostly a knock off the rust, have something different than just training, and get a feel for what the Coach's have to work with and need to work on meet. There will be few non-WSU athletes competing but it is primarily an intra-squad event.

The first 4 events in the men's heptathlon (60m, LJ, SP and HJ) will be held on on Thursday afternoon. They will conduct the final 3 events (60H, PV, 1,000m) on Friday afternoon beginning at 12:30.

Several Shockers, including sophomore Adria Navajon, the defending AAC heptathlon and decathlon champion, will sit this one out due too what was described as minor dings.

The individual Field Events start at 11:00 am on Friday and the individual Running Events start at 2:00 capped of with the final event of the meet, the Tug-of-War

https://goshockers.com/documents/202...d_MeetInfo.pdf

Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 1, 2022, 03:20 PM.

Comment

This week is only the multi-events. The individual events will be next Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by goshox74 View Post
                  This week is only the multi-events. The individual events will be next Friday.
                  Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Hudson Bailey kicked off the indoor track and field season with a hepthatlon win Friday at the Shocker Multi.

Bailey took the lead after the second event on day one and held on to it through the next five events to earn his first collegiate heptathlon victory with a personal-best 4,945 points and new personal bests in three events.

Kolby Caster and Wyatt Leutzinger also recorded heptathlon personal bests to place second and third, respectively. Caster logged four personal bests as Leutzinger made his Shocker debut and tied for the highest pole vault clearance of the day (4.55m/14'11").

Freshman Luke Porter competed in a Shocker uniform for the first time as well, placing fifth overall and winning the 1,000 meters to wrap up the two-day event.

MEN'S RESULTS
                    1 Hudson Bailey Heptathlon 4,945 pts
                    2 Kolby Caster Heptathlon 4,869 pts
                    3 Wyatt Leutzinger Heptathlon 4,814 pts
                    5 Luke Porter Heptathlon 4,391 pts
                    All of the those totals are well off of 5,377 points that would be needed to break in to the All-Time Shocker Top 10. However, the Top 3 scores might score points in the AAC Indoor C

hampionship.

However, Sophomore Adria Navajon (PR of 5,616 set in winning last year's AAC heptathlon), Seniro Tanner Brown (PR of 5,512 in finsihing 2nd in last year's AAC heptathlon) and Senior Nate Vann (PR of 5,277) did not compete this year. The meet preview article on goshockers.com said Navajon and Vann had some minor dings. That article did not mention Tanner Brown so not sure what his situation is.

Chonnor Ludolph who finished 5th in last years AAC hepthathlon with 4,842 points is not listed on the Shockers current roster. Neverttheless, the Shocks again appear to be well stocked with mulit-event competitors.

Comment

The Shockers competed in the annual early indoor season KU-KSU-WSU Triangular. Each team is allowed a 26-athlete men's and 26-athlete women's competition roster, and only the top two athletes from each program can score in each event using the 7-5-4-3-2-1 scoring system. WSU is the host this year but the meets is being held at Washburn's excellent indoor facility. (And, yes, it is far nicer than the Heskett Center indoor facility).

The men and women each compete over 15 events and close out with a mixed 4x400 relay.

The final combined men's and women's scoring totals were KU 268 - KSU 204 - WSU 198. I am not sure what the scoring breakdown for just the men's team was.

Top performances for the men included:

Brady Palen and Weston Lewis finished 2nd and 3rd in the high jump. The top 4 finishers all cleared 6-10.75 so the order of finish was determined by fewest misses.

Shocker super-soph heptathlete/decathlete, Adria Navajon, took 3rd in the long jump with a solid leap of 23-04.2. That scores 842 points in a heptathlon. A good season opening long jump effort for Adria.

Shocker senior Joseph Holthusen, returning dealing with injury last year, won the 60m hurdles in 8.03 seconds edging out teammate Adria Navajon who clocked in at 8.06. Good to see the undersized Holthusen back and hurdling well. His 7.74 PB is 2nd all-time at WSU. Navajon's time was a new PB for him and would score 974 points in a heptathlon.

Sophomore temmates, Jaleel Montgomery and Joakim Generoux, went 1-2 in the 60m dash clocking in at 6.84 and 6.89, respectively. Both are new PB's with Montgomery moving up to #6 on the Shocker all-time list. Generoux and Montgomery swapped places a little later going 1-2 in the 200m dash with times of 21.55 and 21.94. Generoux's time was just off of his PB of 21.52 (3rd best in Shocker history).

Clayton Duchatschek finished 4th in a tightly run 1,000m race but his time of 2:28.28 did put in the Shocker All-Time Top 10 at #9.

Another Sophomore, Adrian Diaz-Lopez, won the 3000m run by 4 second with a time of 8:15.27. While that moves Diaz-Lopez into #8 on the Shocker All-Time list. However, his PR in this event is 8:01.33 at this same facility when he was at Cowley County.

Comment

Most of the the Shockers will be in Colorado Springs today, tomorrow and Saturday to compete at the Air Force Academy at the Ralph Lindeman Invitational.

Today belongs to the multi-event athletes. The Shocks have sent 6 athletes to compete in the heptathlon in a 12-man field. Air Force has 4 athletes entered and BYU has 2.

The Shockers competing are So. Adria Navajon, the defending AAC heptathlon and decathlon champion, Sr. Nathan Vann, So. Bailey Hudson, Jr. Kolby Caster, Fr. Luke Porter and Fr. Wyatt Leutzinger.

First day events are the 60m dash, long jump, shot put and high jump. Tomorrow they will finish up with the 60m hurdles, pole vault and 1,000 meter run.

Individual track and field events start up at Noon tomorrow.

Distance coach Kirk Hunter is taking five men and five women to compete at Iowa State in the Cyclone Open on Saturday.

Comment

Adria Navajon leads after day 1 of the heptathlon with 3,174 points as he set new PB's on the 60m dash and the shot put and was just shy of his PB's in the long jump and high jump. He is on pace to score about 5,750 point which would be a new PB for him. His current PB is 5,616 points. 5,750 points would move Adria into 2nd place all time behind Hunter Veith's 6,090 points. Whether the sophomore will improve enough over this and the next two seasons to challenge Veith's record remains to be seen.

Fellow sophomore Bailey Hudson sits in 2nd place with 2,949 points. Bailey set new PB's in the 60m dash, the long jump and the high jump.678. Looks like Bailey is on his way to scoring around 5,050 to 5,100 points, or more depending on how much he has improved from his freshman year, which would give him a new PB as well. His current PB is 4,945 points.

Sr. Nathan Vann would probably be sitting in 3rd place with around 2,840 points with a decent long jump but he apparently fouled on all 3 of his attempts and failed to score in that event and he sits in last place with 2,108 points. Pretty unusual not to at least get one good jump in on the long jump.

Comment

Adria did secure a relatively easy win in the heptathlon at the Air Force Academy but did not have as good a day on day 2 as I hoped he would. He finishes with 5,587 points which is 29 points shy of his PB so he remains at #6 all-time at WSU. He got off to a good start winning the 60m hurdles in 8.09 for 959 points and just shy of his PB of 8.06. That was his best scoring event in this heptathlon. However, he was around 9 inches below his PB in the pole vault and he was 11 seconds slower than his PB in the 1,000 meter run. I am thinking the Air Force Academy altitude may well have had something to do with that as he had the 2nd fastest time in that event a few seconds behind an Air Force cadet. But it was a good, solid early season effort for Adria. Still a lot of training to before the AAC Championships in 5 weeks. I would think he might, at most, compete in 1 more heptathlon before the AAC Championships but mostly I expect him to work compete in a more limited way between now and then. And if he can stay healthy he should be in pretty good shape to defend his AAC Heptathlon Championship.

Bailey Hudson finished 2nd with 4,973 points which did improve on his PB by 28 points.

If he can stay healthy and avoid any major flubs I think Adria probably will move into second place all-time at WSU in the heptathlon by the end of the indoor season.

Comment

Joseph Holthusen and Jaleel Montgomery qualifed for Saturday's 60m hurdle finals clocking identical times of 8.13 in winning their qualifying heats today. That is a new PB for Jaleel.

Comment

Meanwhile at Cyclone Open at Iowa State today....

KungWu you will like this one (I think). IIRC correctly your where rooting like hell for Shocker senior Adam Moore to break the 4:00 minute mark in the indoor mile run last year in his last go-round as a Shocker. He did not quite get it done finishing his Shocker career at #1 all-time with a mark of 4:01.08. However, a gentlemen named Adam Moore running unattached won the indoor mile race at the Cyclone Open today with a time of 3:59.47. I suppose it could be another Adam Moore but I'm betting this is our former Shocker.

Sophomore Adrian Diaz-Lopez was the only current Shocker in the mile run and he finished 6th with a PB of 4:03.01. So maybe Adrian will be the first active Shocker to break the 4 minute mark here in a couple of years. Shocker junior Bryce Merriman finished 13th at 4:11.02.

I think that puts Adrian at #5 on the WSU All-Time list right behind Zach Penrod. However, not sure if the time has to be adjusted or not. I suspect that it does. The Iowa State indoor track facility is billed as on of the largest (300 yard oval) and fastest in the world. Take a gander at this: https://express.adobe.com/page/ECwV8GBsRvUJu/

Looking at the result makes me think Iowa State may approach its track and field team similar to Tulsa putting most of the scholarship money into their distance program. Iowa State runners finished 2, 3. 4, 5. (with times from 3:59.60 to 4:00.76) and 8, 10, 11, 12 and 14. Plus Iowa State had 3 guys who did not finish the race (which was run in 3 separate heats). 1 of those 3 had the top seed time in the race and the only seed time under 4 minutes. I guessing at least 1 of the other 2 who DNF may have been the rabbit in Section 1 which was the fastest seeded group.

In the men's 3,000m race Sr. Clayton Duchatschek finished 5 in 8:12.61, So. Trey Rios was 7th in 8:19.92 and a Jr. Jackson Caldwell was 8th in 8:21.27. These were all career best times in the indoor 3k but I am guessing they won't qualify for the record book due to the very large size of the Iowa State indoor track.

Bryce Merriman finished 12th in the 800m run with a time of 1:55.81. Beats his career best by a little but again probably not put on the record books due to the configuration of the track. But I don't think this is Bryce's strongest event and he had competed in the mile run about 4 hours earlier. Perhaps just running for a speed workout.

:
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 21, 2023, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X