No announcement yet.

2022-23 Shocker Men XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parrish brothers ready for Wichita State after more Kansas high school state track titles

Each twin won their second straight Class 6A title in their specialty race, as Josh won the 110-meter hurdles in a career-best time of 13.92 seconds — the seventh-fastest time in Kansas modern history — and Jason defended his title in the 300-meter hurdles in 38.26 seconds. It’s become a matter of pride for Jason and Josh to each defend their own race.

“I’m never going to let Jason beat me in that race,” said Josh Parrish, smiling. “I always try to get him in the 300, but his endurance and stamina is just crazy. He’s got that dog in him.”

“He blew me out in the 110’s, so I knew I had to get my get-back in the 300’s,” Jason added.

It’s difficult to predict how high school hurdlers will transition at the college level because both hurdle races are entirely different — the 110 hurdles raise from 39 inches to 42 inches, while the 300 hurdles extends to a full lap around the track. But it’s a good bet that both Parrish brothers can immediately find an impact at Wichita State with their speed and competitiveness.

While the brothers have been racing hurdles for years, Josh Parrish considers himself more of a newcomer to the jumps. It’s a testament to his potential that he won his second straight 6A title in the long jump with a personal-best mark of 24 feet, 1½ inches and also won the gold medal in the triple jump, an event he just picked up five weeks ago, with another personal-best mark of 47 feet, 11¼ inches.

His long jump would have tied for third place at this year’s American Athletic Conference Outdoor Championships, while his triple jump mark would have also scored sixth at WSU’s conference meet. “I’m excited to see what they can both do when they only focus on track,” Olathe North track and field coach Levi Huserman said. Both of the Parrish brothers agreed. After spending their youth splitting time between football, basketball and track, they are excited to find out their true potential when they can focus year-round on their events.

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/varsit...#storylink=cpy

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 4, 2023, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Masters, Palen Represent Shockers at NCAA Championships

Brady Palen and Destiny Masters are set to represent the Shockers Friday and Saturday in the high jump at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin, Texas.

Brady Palen and Destiny Masters are set to represent the Shockers Friday and Saturday in the high jump at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin, Texas.

SCHEDULE
      Friday, June 9 – 7:30 p.m. - Men's High Jump – Brady Palen
      Saturday, June 10 – 7:30 p.m. – Women's High Jump – Destiny Masters

Comment

• Brady Palen finishes in 18 the place with a jump of 6-11. He and 5 other guys cleared 6-11 but none of them were able to clear the next height of 7-1. However, 4 of those guys had no misses in clearing 6-11. While Brady missed his first attempt at 6-11 and the other guy missed his first 2 attempts at 6-11. So the 4 guys who did not miss ended up in a 4-way tie for 14th. With Brady finishing in 18th as he earns Honorable Mention All-American Honors.

I imagine he was a bit disappointed with that as his PB is 7-2.25. I imagine nerves probably came into play on this big stage. Still a really good season for Brady who is only a sophomore. So hopefully he will get a couple more shots at it before he finishes his Shocker career.

USF Jr. Romaine Beckford and OU Sr. Vernon Turner both cleared 7-5.25, which was a new PB for Beckford. Beckford had only 1 miss while Turner had 2 misses as Beckford adds the NCAA Outdoor High Jump Championship to his trophy case to go along with his NCAA Indoor Championship he won earlier this year.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 9, 2023, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• How many places are awarded points in the NCAA championship track meets?

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
            How many places are awarded points in the NCAA championship track meets?
            Top 8 on a 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis. This is pretty much standard for the great majority of meets. Certainly for Conference Championship meets

The Top 8 finishers in each event at the NCAA Championsips earn 1st Team All-American honors. 9th throught 16th earn 2nd Team All-American honors. 17th through 24th earn Honorable Mention All-American honors. .

Comment

• Shockers To Compete at USATF Outdoor Championships

https://goshockers.com/news/2023/7/7...pionships.aspx

Freshman Luke Porter will wrap up his first year as Shockers with one last multi-event competition in the USATF U20 decathlon on Saturday and Sunday.

First Team All-American (indoor), Brady Palen, is also competing in the USATF high jump on Sunday in a field of 19 athletes. PUMA's JuVaughn Harrison leads the field as the fourth-best jumper in the world with a season-best of 2.33 meters.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 7, 2023, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• in the U20 Decathlon Luke Porter finished 7th among the 9 athletes who completed the event with a score of 6,218 points. That was well shy of his PB of 6,389 points that he score in the AAC Championships in May. While Luke did set new PB's in the shot put, high jump, 110 hurdles, and discus he was well off his best marks in the otther 6 events.

In the high jump Brady Palen suffered the same fate as Destiny Masters as he failed to clear the opening height of 7-1 along with 4 others. Another 7 guys went out at the next height of 7-3. 4 other exited at 7-5. 2 guys with Puma and Nike cleared 7-5 with the Puma guy winning on few misses.

Comment

• Comment

• Iestyn, who is from Wales, will be a senior in 2023-24. This time would have place 4th in this past May's AAC Outdoor Championship.

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                      X