No announcement yet.

2022-23 Shocker Men XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to Brady Palen for earning 1st team All-American honors in the high jump at the NCAA Indoor Championships today, tying 6 other competitors by clearing 2.18m/7-1.75. Based on number of misses Brady finished in a 4-way tie for 7th. Brady and the 3 guys he tied with all cleared this height on their 3rd and final attempts.

South Florida's Jumpin' Jamaican, Romaine Beckford, who defeated Brady in the AAC Indoor Campionship, won the event with a leap of 2.24m/7-4.25.

So pretty good work by the AAC in this event.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 11, 2023, 06:13 PM.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Duchatschek Podiums at Texas Relays

Clayton Duchatschek highlighted day one of the Texas Relays with a third-place finish in the 3,000-meter steeplechase Thursday at Mike A. Myer's Stadium.

Clayton Duchatschek highlighted day one of the Texas Relays with a third-place finish in the 3,000-meter steeplechase Thursday at Mike A. Myer's Stadium.

The senior from Washington, Mo. clocked 8:58.48, just two seconds off his personal best and the 15th-fastest time in the NCAA (DI) so far this year. Duchatschek, the reigning American Athletic Conference steeplechase champion, now leads the conference in the event.

Clayton has had a really nice Shocker career after transfering from then D-II Lindewood University as a sophomore.

Clayton is currently sits 8th all-time at WSU in the steeplechase. I would guess moving into the top 5 would be good goal for his senrior year. He would have to run under 8:51.34 to achieve that.

Comment

Shockers to Host KT Woodman Classic, Multis on the Road

Wichita State track and field is set to host the 75th annual KT Woodman Classic Friday and Saturday at Cessna Stadium, while three multi-event athletes compete at the Stan State Multi at Warrior Stadium in Turlock, Calif.

Wichita State track and field is set to host the 75th annual KT Woodman Classic Friday and Saturday at Cessna Stadium, while two decathletes compete at the Stan State Multi at Warrior Stadium in Turlock, Calif.

Stan State Multi
          After earning all-conference recognition in the indoor heptathlon, Nate Vann is set to make his outdoor multi-event debut in the decathlon with teammate Hudson Bailey, who placed fourth in the heptathlon at the indoor conference meet.

Vann and Bailey enter as the three and five seeds, while Masters is the No. 1 seed entering the competition.

KT Woodman Classic
          Wichita State is playing host to 40 teams, including Missouri, Oklahoma and American Athletic Conference distance powerhouse Tulsa.

WSU No. 1 seeds:
          Toby Penner – 400-meter hurdles – 52.23
          Brady Palen – high jump – 2.22m

Comment

Senior Nate Vann is in second after Day 1 of the Stan State Decathlon with 3,687 points trailing the leader Hunter Powell, who is competing unattached, by 79 points. Not 100% sure but I think Powell is a former Baylor/Colorado State track multi athlete that qualified for the NCAA Championship in the decathlon in 2019.

Nate's PB in the decathlon is 6,989. He has a chance to break the 7,000 mark with a good 2nd day.

Sophomore Hudson Bailey is trying to complete a full decathlon for the first time and is in 4th place 3,573 points. If he is able to get through Day 2 uneventfully he could score in the neighborhood of 6,700 points.

Update: Nate Vann and Hudson Bailey also wrapped up their multi-event competitions at the Stan State Multi with Vann placing third with 6,830 points and Bailey finishing fourth with a personal-best 6,711 points.

Not a great 2nd day for Nate but not a bad score. Hudson's result was pretty decent for his first time finishing a complete decathlon. Both of those efforst probably score points in the AAC Championships.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 8, 2023, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Some notable performances by Shocker Men at the K.T. Woodman Classic this weekend:

Jackson Caldwell ran a 29:58.24 PB in the 10k putting him the on the Shocker All-Time list and also at #7 on the AAC charts for this season.

Fr. Blake McCormick out of Maize uncorded a PB in the javelin with a throw of 198-5. Pretty solid throw for a freshman.

Solid throws in the discuss by Sophomores Matty Everett (181-0) and Ridge Estes (178-3) both on their 6th and final attempts. Matty was about 3' shy of his PB and while Ridge's mark was a new PB for him. Those marks have Matty and Ridge with the top 2 spots on the AAC charts for now.

Joseph Holthusen won the 110m hurdles with a time of 14.09 seconds just off his PB of 14.08. Joseph currently has the 4th best time in the AAC so far this year.

Jr. Iestyn Williams logged at 1:52.57 in the 800m run which puts him currently at #4 on the AAC Charts.

Toby Penner (53.18) and Bryan Haney(53.33) with solid times in the 400 hurldes. Toby .02 of his PB and Bryan with a new PB. Both are times that can probably score points in the AAC Championships.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 8, 2023, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Has the KT Woodman meet always been this big?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                  Has the KT Woodman meet always been this big?
                  I don't have an answer for that. But there are actually 2 meets back-to-back.

There is the Pre-State Challenge for high school athletes that ran from 5:00 pm Thursday through around 5:00 pm Friday. The KT Woodman collegiate events started at around 6:00 pm Friday and finished up around 7:00 pm on Saturday.

Looks like most of the high school events are held for separate groups: 1A-3A, 4A-6A, and Elite. There are a couple of events that all classes together (2000m steeplechase and the shuttle hurdles). I'm no sure what kind of participation they they get for the Pre-State meet.

I suppose in addition to potential recruiting benefits it is possible this meet raises some funds, although I have no idea what it cost them to run this meet. The gate is mostly going to be family and friends but there are entry fees for both the high school and collegiate meets.

Admission: Thursday – Adults $5, Ages 3-12 $4, Under 3 are FREE; Friday & Saturday – Adults $7, Ages 3-12 $5, Under 3 are FREE;

Shocker Pre-State Challenge:

Rules of Competition: KSHSAA rules will be strictly enforced.

Entry Fees: $20 per individual athlete up to a maximum of $200 per gender (10 or more athletes). Boys’ and Girls’ teams are separate and will be charged accordingly.

KT Woodman Classic:

Entry Fees: • $30 per individual athlete, maximum of $350 per gender (12 or more athletes). • Men’s and Women’s teams are separate and will be charged accordingly.

Comment

Shocker Highlights From Midwest Classic in Emporia

Iestyn Williams clocked a personal-best 1:51.65 to win the men's 800m run. That moves him up to 4th on the AAC performance charts.

Adria Navajon also picked up a win on the track, crossing the line in 14.53 in his first 110-meter hurdles race of the year. That's a solid time for the defending AAC decathlon champion.

Ridge Estes placed second in the discus with his second-farthest throw of his career, launching the disc 53.00m/173'10". Ridge and teammate Matty Everrett should be competing for some decent points at AAC Championship time.

Comment

Shocker Distance Runners Shine at Drake Relays

Wichita State's four distance runners took care of business Thursday at Drake Relays, recording three top-10 finishes, two WSU all-time top-10 marks and three personal bests.

Bryce Merriman opened the meet with a season-best 3:49.23 in the 1500 meters, finishing 10th and moving up to sixth in the American Athletic Conference.

"Bryce's 1500 really pushed him up the ranks and got his head on where he knows he can really be a good contributor," Hunter said.

Shortly after, Iestyn Williams ran his second-straight 800-meter personal best, clocking a 1:51.34 to finish fourth in his heat and 14th overall. His time maintains his conference ranking of No. 4.

"I think Iestyn may have wanted a little more, but having a half second improvement coming back from where he was with his injury and everybody else improving the way we did… it was a very, very worthwhile trip."

Clayton Duchatschek concluded the meet for the Shockers with another top-10 finish in the steeplechase, running a seven-second personal best of 8:45.98 to place seventh and move up to fifth all-time in Wichita State history. Duchatschek's time ranks 31st in the nation this season and second in the AAC, behind Tulsa's Christian Baker, who finished second in the race with a time of 8:38.66.

Comment

Meanwhile at the Drake Relay on Saturday:

Joseph Holthusen had a successful day, running a personal-best 10.66 to finish third in the 100 meters and placing second in the 110-meter hurdles in 14.16. Holthusen led off the 4x100-meter relay (Holthusen, Joakim Genereux, Bryan Haney, Jaleel Montgomery), which recorded the seventh-fastest time in program history (40.69) to place fourth.

Holthusen should be in the hunt for points in the AAC Championships in the 110m hurdles two weeks from now and the relay teams 4x100 time is 4th in the AAC so far this season.

Genereux went on to win the 200 meters with a time of 21.09 which puts him at 8th on the AAC Charts.

Harry Barthelemy placed second in the triple jump (14.39m/47'2.5") in his first competition after injury. That puts him 7th on the AAC Charts.

Brady Palen won the high jump competition with a 2.16m/7'1" jump as he prepares to challenge USF's Romaine Beckford, the reigning NCAA Indoor high jump champion.

Adrian Diaz-Lopez made his return to the track, placing third in the 5K in 14:49.30. With only 2 weeks to go before the AAC Champioships arrive I am not ADL will have time to get back to anything close to top form.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Adrian Diaz-Lopez made his return to the track, placing third in the 5K in 14:49.30. With only 2 weeks to go before the AAC Champioships arrive I am not ADL will have time to get back to anything close to top form.
                          Those in attendance (including me) noticed the 20+ mph winds during the 5k. Diaz-Lopez looked good. The KU kid who won in 14:31 ran 13:28 a few weeks ago in Stanford. Conditions were atrocious for the 5k. I think you'll find the current conference standings are interesting to look at, but the weather that WSU competes in each week is vastly different than the Texas and Florida schools. This is why every year WSU's men have been way behind on paper and either winning (last year) or making it very close (the previous 2 years) at the AAC meet. I think this year will be much of the same when they all compete in the same conditions head to head.

Comment

Originally posted by goshox74 View Post

Those in attendance (including me) noticed the 20+ mph winds during the 5k. Diaz-Lopez looked good. The KU kid who won in 14:31 ran 13:28 a few weeks ago in Stanford. Conditions were atrocious for the 5k. I think you'll find the current conference standings are interesting to look at, but the weather that WSU competes in each week is vastly different than the Texas and Florida schools. This is why every year WSU's men have been way behind on paper and either winning (last year) or making it very close (the previous 2 years) at the AAC E. I think this year will be much of the same when they all compete in the same conditions head to head.

Excellent observation and our weather builds toughness, resilience and character. Or at least I try to convince myself of that.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 1, 2023, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by goshox74 View Post

Those in attendance (including me) noticed the 20+ mph winds during the 5k. Diaz-Lopez looked good. The KU kid who won in 14:31 ran 13:28 a few weeks ago in Stanford. Conditions were atrocious for the 5k. I think you'll find the current conference standings are interesting to look at, but the weather that WSU competes in each week is vastly different than the Texas and Florida schools. This is why every year WSU's men have been way behind on paper and either winning (last year) or making it very close (the previous 2 years) at the AAC meet. I think this year will be much of the same when they all compete in the same conditions head to head.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Ole Ross and I attended the “U” with this Gerald; he could long-jump with the best…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X