Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: status of the athletic department

Originally posted by InWuWeTrust
    the mrs and i were talking this afternoon, and she asked about shocker madness. i told her that it was not going to be on a saturday, as is tradition, but rather on a thursday evening. that brought up a bigger conversation about the condition of the athletic department leadership. we discussed the following:

a) it seems to me that rockin the roundhouse was significantly smaller event this year, as compared to prior years

b) communication is seriously lacking - i.e. shocker madness

c) i have a client who wanted to donate a week at his cabin in breckenridge, colorado for the live auction - so i put a call into the athletic department and never heard back from anyone.

d) in february, i called two people in positions of leadership within the athletic department to volunteer my time, either behind the scenes or on the front lines - i've never heard from anyone.

does anyone else share my concern, or am i making a to-do about nothing?
    I'll repsond.

a)Not too troubling, although I do think a little "fresh paint" on all the events wouldn't be a bad thing. BUT before anyone goes off half-cocked, first look at the bottom line. If the money taken in at these events has consistently increased over the last few years (and I don't know for sure) then it's hard to blame them, at all.

b)Maybe. Everyone has their own beliefs on where and when things should happen. I think this is a minor issue that does need to be addressed, inter-departmentally.

c)I have no idea of all the details, but if they are laid out as you say, this is disconcerting to say the least. If I were you, or your friend, I would send an email to Darron Boatright tonight, detailing the events, and ask for an immediate response. I promise you he'll get one.

d)Again, I have no idea of the details, but I would call Darron first thing in the morning. And if you already contacted him (and I would be STUNNED that he didn't get back to you) then call Ruth Matz in the AD's department and let her know and I FLIPPING GUARANTEE you it will get in Eric's hands.

I don't think things are perfect, they rarely are. However good things are being done. The problem that we (those of us on SN) is that we each have our priorities and expect them to be at or near the top of the WSU-ICAA priority list. And there is a decent chance their ideas of importance and ours don't often collide, as frustrating as that may be to you and me.

I also think there are underlying.....issues is too strong a word.....dynamics perhaps?....underlying dynamics that may have ultimate factoring on the end product that we might see as a shortcoming of one person or department, when in fact the blame belongs elsewhere.

Comment

Re: status of the athletic department

Originally posted by WuDrWu
      I'll repsond.

a)Not too troubling, although I do think a little "fresh paint" on all the events wouldn't be a bad thing. BUT before anyone goes off half-cocked, first look at the bottom line. If the money taken in at these events has consistently increased over the last few years (and I don't know for sure) then it's hard to blame them, at all.

b)Maybe. Everyone has their own beliefs on where and when things should happen. I think this is a minor issue that does need to be addressed, inter-departmentally.

c)I have no idea of all the details, but if they are laid out as you say, this is disconcerting to say the least. If I were you, or your friend, I would send an email to Darron Boatright tonight, detailing the events, and ask for an immediate response. I promise you he'll get one.

d)Again, I have no idea of the details, but I would call Darron first thing in the morning. And if you already contacted him (and I would be STUNNED that he didn't get back to you) then call Ruth Matz in the AD's department and let her know and I FLIPPING GUARANTEE you it will get in Eric's hands.

I don't think things are perfect, they rarely are. However good things are being done. The problem that we (those of us on SN) is that we each have our priorities and expect them to be at or near the top of the WSU-ICAA priority list. And there is a decent chance their ideas of importance and ours don't often collide, as frustrating as that may be to you and me.

I also think there are underlying.....issues is too strong a word.....dynamics perhaps?....underlying dynamics that may have ultimate factoring on the end product that we might see as a shortcoming of one person or department, when in fact the blame belongs elsewhere.
      I don't care if they are swimming in money, the Athletic Department simply CANNOT forget about the little guys out there who are trying to help. The courtesy of a return phone call is not too much to ask and respectfully declining an offer if that is what they want to do. Ignoring the pulse of the common Shocker fan is a very bad idea.

As my dad would have said, "They're getting too big for their britches."

--'85.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

issues addressed / resolved.

Comment

Issues

SASO raised a record $3.1 Million in the past year. Someone is doing something right! The recent coaching hires in the athletic department look to me to be very good, too!

Comment

I recently made a simple request for some tickets and an autographed ball that will be raffled off for a charity fundraising event.

The Athletic Dept was very timely with a follow up email and very generous with their donations. I was very impressed by the professionalism and promptness of my request.

I have no issues at all with the direction of the Dept.

Comment

But Sexton still doesn't know who ShockRef is, so the Department isn't doing so great.

Comment

The question is, Does anyone know what Sexton has accomplished since he has been Athletic Director? Anyone .... yeah, I didn't think so.

His lack of communication to the public is deafening. At least, Schaus kept everyone in the loop, and he was a man of action.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                  The question is, Does anyone know what Sexton has accomplished since he has been Athletic Director? Anyone .... yeah, I didn't think so.

His lack of communication to the public is deafening. At least, Schaus kept everyone in the loop, and he was a man of action.
                  Examples?

Comment

Examples are good ABC.

How about a list of things we EXPECT to see from the ICAA department, and a list of things we WANT, being very careful to separate the two.

Feel free to grade your own in any manner you choose.

I'll start: I EXPECT the ICAA department to adhere to the rules for the student athletes and make every effort to comply, keep the programs clean and out of trouble and set the bar very high compared to the cheaters around the country.

Grade: A- We had the Clevin Hannah mess, where the penalty was insane, but the fault was ours. Other than that 1 instance, I am very proud of the results.

Comment

Example

Keeping Gregg Marshall as the Head Coach of our beloved Shockers.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdshocker
                        Example

Keeping Gregg Marshall as the Head Coach of our beloved Shockers.
                        +

Comment

Working...
                        X