Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSUShokker
    Originally posted by Dan
    we showed up late the last 3 or 4 games. We need to figure out how to start a game and control a game from start to finish. Maybe its the starting rotation. Hopefully the coaches will make some changes for the CU game.
    I mentioned earlier this year...and I know it isnt our "style" and I dont want to be 100% full court press team. I think it turns into to much street or me ball without disciplined players. But.....why cant we start the game using our full court press....good things seem to happen. Maybe just reacting and not having to think so much..they relax and get into the game easier. Is it a lack of leadership amongst the players??? I dont know
    I doubt if it happens but I had the same thought. CU hasn't been turning the ball over much. It would be interesting to see how they handle it.
    In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
      Originally posted by SHOXMVC
      Originally posted by Snapshot9
      Originally posted by Dan
      we showed up late the last 3 or 4 games. We need to figure out how to start a game and control a game from start to finish. Maybe its the starting rotation. Hopefully the coaches will make some changes for the CU game.
      Dan has a point, all these 'little' things add up to ruin what could have been a great season. The Missouri State game was one that we should have won, plain and simple, and we did not pass the test.

I am tired of getting to March, and having to have a 'Hail Mary' happen to get to the Dance.
      You, and others like you, seem to lead the charge of critisism about this team. Come up with a fix...or head up the turnpike and root for the crimson & blue. They are guaranteed to dance every March if that is what you are interested in.

This may or may not be a great season. 13-3/4-1 is at least a potential championship start. Yes, the Shockers stubbed their toe against MSU. Maybe they can overcome it, or maybe not. But for crying out load, this is the type of program WSU is probably going to always have. We seem to develop coaches for BCS programs and can never get over the hump. Will Marshall hault that trend. Doubtful, but who knows.

The woe, poor pitiful me fans on this board just make me laugh is all.
      I think you are going a little overboard aren't you? Let's just take a look at our conference. Compared to our peers, our facilities are top tier along with a handful of others. Nobody's fans compares to the loyal fans we have. Hell, the Shox rank in the Top 70 (I believe) in overall attendance in D1 basketball. Pretty damn good for a small non-BCS university in a small state if you ask me.

All I ask/expect from time-to-time is that Shox do something to reward the fans. One lousy NCAA tourney appearance in the last 20 something years, no wins at Creighton since '92, no MVC Tourney championship - ever? There comes a time when a fan has to sit back and ask him/herself how in the world does the Shox not get over the hump given the fanbase, facilities, a decent history, all the while where we sit back and watch much the Creightons, SIUs, UNIs, win multiple MVC tournies and get multiple NCAA tourney births?

I understand the answer is not easy but geeesh - when?
      Maybe, just maybe we aren't tough and focused enough compared to the Creightons, SIU's & UNI's of the past. The jury is certainly still out.

My hopes this year would that at minimum we win the regular season with no less than a 15-3 record (with MSU's fast start that might not be enough), make it to at least March 6th. If we don't win in STL, get a bid and hopeully win a game or two.

The reality is that we might just not be as good as we thought & that Marshall isn't as good as we thought. I'm willing to give all that the benefit of the doubt for awhile. Although if we don't win tonight, we will officially have one leg in the grave, that's for sure.

We as fans aren't entitled to anything. As I said to someone on another thread, if what WSU has here isn't good enough, trek up the turnpike to Lawrence and root for them. That will solve it all. But remember in Shocker land there is no entitlement.

Comment

Apparently we can't ever be better than we are either? That's BS. We can and should desire and strive for more than what we've had. We're better than this. If making the NIT every year is ok with you than so be it. But that's unacceptable. This program should be making its way into being in the dance pretty much every year and winning games. It's a process, but that's where we should be heading and that's what many of us expect from this University. Just getting to the dance should NEVER be enough.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
          Apparently we can't ever be better than we are either? That's BS. We can and should desire and strive for more than what we've had. We're better than this. If making the NIT every year is ok with you than so be it. But that's unacceptable. This program should be making its way into being in the dance pretty much every year and winning games. It's a process, but that's where we should be heading and that's what many of us expect from this University. Just getting to the dance should NEVER be enough.
          I agree, but isn't exactly what you wrote the same for almost every other NCAA D-1 basketball program? I doubt if many of the other teams would agree to stand still while WSU moves forward.

Comment

Originally posted by shockall
            I agree, but isn't exactly what you wrote the same for almost every other NCAA D-1 basketball program? I doubt if many of the other teams would agree to stand still while WSU moves forward.
            I agree, but I believe we have the tools to succeed more than many others. Money, support, facilities.

Plus, I just get a little irritated when those with expectations are talked down to by those that don't.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

First of all I NEVER said playing in the NIT every year is ok.

shockall said it well, all other D-I schools want the same thing we do. But apparently our players and coaching staff are doing the best they can. Do you think HCGM is drawing up plays to flame out on purpose?

Come up with a fix. Call for Marshall's head...something. I won't disagree that for the past couple of years has been pointing to this team, this year. The major black eye on the year was Sunday night. It might be the fatal wound to the whole year when it's all said and done.

To your point about "This program should be making its way into being in the dance pretty much every year and winning games." That is unrealistic at this point. Just because you want it to be doesn't make it plausible. You can't jump from A-Z all in one swoop just because.

I have the same high expectations...but that's what it is...expectations. Again, maybe the players aren't the right fit and maybe Marshall isn't good enough to create that fit. I'm not smart enough to figure it out. Are you?

Comment

Fair enough. Some act like it's fine.

shockall said it well, all other D-I schools want the same thing we do. But apparently our players and coaching staff are doing the best they can. Do you think HCGM is drawing up plays to flame out on purpose?
                Truth is, not all D1 schools want and expect that. Many do, but there are plenty of programs out there that are just happy to make it there every now and then. I've never criticized 3Gs abilities.

Come up with a fix. Call for Marshall's head...something. I won't disagree that for the past couple of years has been pointing to this team, this year. The major black eye on the year was Sunday night. It might be the fatal wound to the whole year when it's all said and done.
                Why would anyone call for his head right now? That's absurd. A failure to dance this year though will be a major let down. The NIT will be a disappointment.

To your point about "This program should be making its way into being in the dance pretty much every year and winning games." That is unrealistic at this point. Just because you want it to be doesn't make it plausible. You can't jump from A-Z all in one swoop just because.
                I also said I know it's a process and won't just happen. But it's where we should be headed and it shouldn't be 20 years from now. As someone said previously, there's no reason CU, UNI and SIU should have more success than us. We have so much more to offer than they do yet we continue to fail. Winning is what this game is about and we better be beginning to take care of business.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Here's the deal, every team has peaks and valley's from season to season. Some years you have a better crop of seasoned players and you have an above average year, other years you have little experience and are in a 'rebuilding' year. I think everyone viewed this as a peak year for the Shox. Some of our most talented players we've had for a while and a lot of experience, and if in our 'peak year', we can't even get to the tournament, well, that is just very sad. Perhaps we will still make the tournament, but I had hoped it would be a slam dunk this year, not fighting for our life.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerKhan
                    Indiana State 1978-79 16-0 with a guy named Bird.
                    Bradley 1985-86 16-0 with Jim Les and Hersey Hawkins.
                    Oklahoma 1927-1928 18-0 :D

Comment

Fair enough. Some act like it's fine.

Truth is, not all D1 schools want and expect that. Many do, but there are plenty of programs out there that are just happy to make it there every now and then. I've never criticized 3Gs abilities.

Why would anyone call for his head right now? That's absurd. A failure to dance this year though will be a major let down. The NIT will be a disappointment.

I also said I know it's a process and won't just happen. But it's where we should be headed and it shouldn't be 20 years from now. As someone said previously, there's no reason CU, UNI and SIU should have more success than us. We have so much more to offer than they do yet we continue to fail. Winning is what this game is about and we better be beginning to take care of business.
                      Your right not every program realistically can make it a goal to get to the dance. And I know you didn't "call" for Marshall's head, but with all the negative spew, something is wrong in your eyes. Is it the players, which Marshall brought (except for Durley & Hatch); or is it the coach. We all want this team to get to the dance and bust out a move for a couple of songs. We all believe the pieces are in place. But if it doesn't happen, what do you propose, and who gets the fault, and does it warrent another captain sailing the ship (which I am not calling for, just throwing out stuff).

As I read this post, even I am getting too far down the road. All I am saying is many posters are just getting grumpy. If any WSU team can get out of this pickle, this one has a chance due to its experienced players. Shouldn't we allow them a little room to get the 8-ball out of the way before we panic. A loss tonight might warrent a start towards panic, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt for now...just sayin!!!

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

I have the same high expectations...but that's what it is...expectations. Again, maybe the players aren't the right fit and maybe Marshall isn't good enough to create that fit. I'm not smart enough to figure it out. Are you?
                        When the going gets tough, the tough get going ... and that applies to Coaches and players.

Comment

We complain about the MVC being a one bid conference. Well, right now it's not. If MSU and, yes WSU keep playing like they have been they will both dance. Two good teams have now gained some national respect. I expect both to continue to do well and look forward to a heck of a conference battle.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

If WSU keeps playing like it has been (notably last Sunday), then they'll be flying out to a NIT site somewhere.

Face it, WSU has failed in all three of its "big" games this year thus far.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

That true Fever but last Sunday will also happen to every team in the nation. Let's see what happens the rest of the year.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox
                                That true Fever but last Sunday will also happen to every team in the nation. Let's see what happens the rest of the year.
                                Would you say most good teams bounce back against mediocre opponents? Would you say tonight is a must-win?
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X