No announcement yet.

is wendell schedied for more pt???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My impression of Preadom is that he is a good soldier. He will do whatever the coach asks of him to the best of his abilities. However, not really being allowed or encouraged to shoot in games the first two years may have hurt his confidence.

My friend that was actually at that game told me WP was pulled for passing on an open three in that game and that he got an earful from CGM. Therefore, I think your take on the situation is correct. I am glad CGM did that to Preadom and that is why I think the coach will help his game. Preadom may need to know, verbally, that his coach has confidence in him.

Comment

Here are Wendell's shooting stats during his Wichita State career:

-------------------
      Freshman:

FG
      12-48 (25%)

3-PT FG
      0-11 (0%)

FT
      11-22 (50%)
      -------------------
      Sophomore:

FG
      28-64 (44%)

3-PT FG
      4-18 (22%)

FT
      14-25 (56%)
      -------------------
      Junior:

FG
      0-3 (0%)

3-PT FG
      0-1 (0%)

FT
      1-2 (50%)
      -------------------
      Career:

FG
      40-115 (35%)

3-PT FG
      4-30 (13%)

FT
      26-49 (53%)
      -------------------

These are not good shooting stats for a guard. This is his third year on a scholarship. We basically have the same backcourt players that we had last year, except this year we don't have Karon and Sean. The only backcourt players we added were Hatch and Michael. Wendell has to pick up the slack. He has to become more of a scorer, because he's going to be getting minutes anyway due to our lack of depth at the guard positions.

Comment

WP is a "role player" type guy. Every team needs them. As long as he understands his role and works within it everything will be fine.

Comment

I would prefer WP stay on the bench. Hopefully we have enough guards next year we don't have to use him.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan
            Sophomore:
            FG
            28-64 (44%)

3-PT FG
            4-18 (22%)
            44% is not a poor shooting percentage for a guard. This would make him 24-46 from inside the arc for 52%. I think Wendell's dribble drive could be utilized a little more, particularly when PJ is not in the game. This is not to say that I think the offense should go through WP, or that any of his statistics are particularly great, but if he could knock down the WIDE open three, and increase his FT percentage, he could be a very valuable role player. One of these days, he and Griskenas are going to go off....hopefully I'm still around to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by wxkid23
              I would prefer WP stay on the bench. Hopefully we have enough guards next year we don't have to use him.
              If Wichita State did not have to use players of the "Preadom" caliber, then the name on the jersey would also have to change to North Carolina or UCLA. Right now, it is a fact that we need role players like Preadom to fill out the roster.

Of course, I'm not saying that we can't or won't ever become that program, but as of right now, that's where we are.

By the way, I still think Preadom could be a solid back-up PG, with a boost to his confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                Right now, it is a fact that we need role players like Preadom to fill out the roster.
                They are called walk-ons and freshmen. The fact that we have a junior guard that contributes very little to this team (on the floor) is a reflection of our recruiting challenges the last few years.

Lance Harris and even Bret Michael have shown me that they are capable back-ups that can provide a little rest to our starting guards when needed.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle

Lance Harris and even Bret Michael have shown me that they are capable back-ups that can provide a little rest to our starting guards when needed.

When? (Especially with Michael.)
                  There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Korchek

Lance has already gotten in a couple of games and played fine. Michael has had a concussion recently, but watching him scrimmage, he looks like he isn't having problems with the pace of DI competition, which is 90% of the battle for guy's in his position.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter

Lance has already gotten in a couple of games and played fine. Michael has had a concussion recently, but watching him scrimmage, he looks like he isn't having problems with the pace of DI competition, which is 90% of the battle for guy's in his position.

Yeah, but... Wendell looks pretty good in scrimmage, too... And Harris is fine, I agree, although he was mostly just another body in his six minutes of game time.

And yes, they're both walk-ons, but Wendell seems like a far better option to back up our guards than either of these guys... at this point.
                      There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

Remember during Preadom's freshman year that he expected to redshirt and Turgeon said no way, we think you're better than that?

He could have really benefitted from a redshirt year.

Comment

TMH answered this pretty well, but I've seen Bret in pick-up games, practice and Shocker Madness. He's always confident with the ball.

Lance is a capable defender and I wouldn't mind him out on the floor to give one of the guards a rest.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

If Wichita State did not have to use players of the "Preadom" caliber, then the name on the jersey would also have to change to North Carolina or UCLA. Right now, it is a fact that we need role players like Preadom to fill out the roster.

Of course, I'm not saying that we can't or won't ever become that program, but as of right now, that's where we are.

By the way, I still think Preadom could be a solid back-up PG, with a boost to his confidence.
                            We can and will recruit better talent to back up the guards than WP. Im not a fan of guards that have little to no shooting ability. Im not of the belief that WP's defense is that awesome either.

Yes.. he is the best option we have right now so we have to live with him no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter

Yeah, but... Wendell looks pretty good in scrimmage, too... And Harris is fine, I agree, although he was mostly just another body in his six minutes of game time.

And yes, they're both walk-ons, but Wendell seems like a far better option to back up our guards than either of these guys... at this point.
                              I'm not arguing that they should play over Wendell, especially because I probably like Wendell as a player more than many here. I was just saying that I wouldn't be worried if I saw either Lance or Brett checking in.
                              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

We can and will recruit better talent to back up the guards than WP. Im not a fan of guards that have little to no shooting ability. Im not of the belief that WP's defense is that awesome either.

Yes.. he is the best option we have right now so we have to live with him no matter what.
                                Right on.

Comment

Working...
                                X