• Show
Clear All

• is wendell schedied for more pt???

...hope so...really like the guy...

Re: is wendell schedied for more pt???

Originally posted by molly jabali
    ...hope so...really like the guy...
    I hope not
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Wendell is a defensive spark-plug and if used properly can be an asset to the team. He is athletic and fast and can come off the bench and change the momentum of the game when we cannot otherwise get a stop.

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
        Wendell is a defensive spark-plug and if used properly can be an asset to the team. He is athletic and fast and can come off the bench and change the momentum of the game when we cannot otherwise get a stop.

T

...8)
        Maybe, but also a huge liability offensively for a team that struggles on offense. I don't mind seeing the guy play, but if his minutes increase then we are in a world of hurt.
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I think WP is one of our more average defenders... he can be really good, but many times he over plays and gives up a little too much. He was good on Monday.

Comment

Schedied?

I thought there might be a breaking story that he was convicted of something and sentenced to some kind of archane punishment. He's a good kid and that surprised me.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded

T

...8)
              like the two times i can remember off the top of my head where he just let the Wyoming guard blow by him? i used to think of wendell like you but he has shown no signs of improvement.

Comment

Like Marshall said, we could of used Hannah this year at times. Without EO, I thought our post play would be our biggest concern. But so far it turns out to be the backup PG. On the positive side of this, give PT and Durley a lot of credit. They have both played well to date.
                In the fast lane

Comment

I agree. Strange how that works out. PT is doing what I hoped he would do so far this season and Durley has exceeded my expectations. I did not expect JTD to play this well this early. Depth at the PG position is an issue right now, which is something I did not anticipate writing this year. I still hope that Mekel can fill this role. He is only a sophomore and I hope things "click" for him as they did for Braeuer.

To get more minutes, Preadom has to show that he can score. MB is putting in a lot of game time and I fear that could adversely affect him later on in the year. If Mekel is not a viable option, Preadom has to step up. The funny thing is I would think he would embrace this situation given his lack of playing time the past two years. The minutes are there he just needs to earn them.

Comment

I think Preadom is athletic and has skills, but he throws me back about 3-4 years, when we had guards that couldn't shoot well, and opponents only had to guard our 2 out of 5 starters that could score, and one was in the paint.

Without the outside scoring threat, it severely limits a team, and opponents know how to take advantage of it. In fact, in the 'inside' talk among the opponent team, they know which ones they have to guard close, and which ones they 'don't have to worry about'.

A guard that can't shoot is only half a guard, and I was a PG when I was young. If you want a standup example, look at Matt, good PG that can hit the shot, and has saved our bacon many times in the past. A hot shooting guard is always a threat, and helps balance out the offense.

I have often wondered in the past, why some college players have such poor shooting techniques. It almost seems like it would be of more benefit to 'retrain' their shooting technique, rather than let them continue along in bad technique with bad results. This also applies to Free Throws too, and I believe this is where the coach's wife comes in.

I mean, in baseball, if you have a bad swing, they work with you to retrain your batting technique, so you can raise your batting average.

Comment

like the two times i can remember off the top of my head where he just let the Wyoming guard blow by him? i used to think of wendell like you but he has shown no signs of improvement.
                      Mayo for UIC left him standing several times also when blowing by him to the bucket. I agree Wendell can provide a short-term rest for someone and sometimes a spark but he hasn't shown improvement enough IMO to get more time. Add to that he's not a great free throw shooter which keeps him out at crunch time.

Great kid though from what I've seen. Quality person to have on the squad IMO.

:yes:

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                        It almost seems like it would be of more benefit to 'retrain' their shooting technique, rather than let them continue along in bad technique with bad results. This also applies to Free Throws too, and I believe this is where the coach's wife comes in.
                        Everything you wrote is true but am I missing something here? :)

What I don't understand about Preadom is that he has shown, at times, he can shoot but never in a real game. Maybe it is a confidence problem. I think CGM could help Preadom in this regard. I don't think, under Turgeon, that Preadom was "allowed" to shoot. Those duties fell to SO, PJ, MB, Wilson, etc. My understanding is that under CGM if WP is open and it’s a good shot – he is expected to take it, which is a quite a difference.

Comment

Call me crazy, but I think he'll be paying cash for his furniture.......

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                            Call me crazy, but I think he'll be paying cash for his furniture.......
                            That's safe to say about most of the world. I mean I don't mind using debit cards...etc. But paying cash is the way to go :D

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                              Maybe it is a confidence problem. I think CGM could help Preadom in this regard. I don't think, under Turgeon, that Preadom was "allowed" to shoot. Those duties fell to SO, PJ, MB, Wilson, etc. My understanding is that under CGM if WP is open and it’s a good shot – he is expected to take it, which is a quite a difference.

There was a point during the Wyoming game where Wendell passed up an open three-pointer from the corner. He was pulled directly after and it appeared that Marshall was telling him to take the shot next time (he was pointing to the corner and speaking forcefully... I couldn't hear him, so maybe I'm imagining that he's saying what I wanted him to say).

A little later, he was wide open again at the exact same spot and this time he took the shot. He missed it, but I do want him taking that shot when he's that wide open.
                              There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

Working...
                              X