• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFL is back!

Comment

• thank you for posting that

Comment

• That last 3 pointer by Kyles was one hell of a shot, contested, fading away, and nothing but net. Stutz's 3 pointer was a good shot, he was lined up, good form, tuned in and nothing but net. I am so happy for Garrett. You know how good it probably made him feel to put the winning points on the board in the last few seconds for the team.

I see the confidence coming back to Stutz, and I hope the LSU game gives him a shot in the arm along those lines.

That is probably the most exciting finish to a game since the Creighton game back in 06 when Matty B hit the 3 pointer for the win in overtime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snapshot9
          I see the confidence coming back to Stutz, and I hope the LSU game gives him a shot in the arm along those lines.
          I don't think Garrett has lost any confidence, even though making a game-winning shot can built more confidence. It's just that when he plays against quicker, more athletic players, he's not always going to do as well as we'd like.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker
            Originally posted by Snapshot9
            I don't think Garrett has lost any confidence, even though making a game-winning shot can built more confidence. It's just that when he plays against quicker, more athletic players, he's not always going to do as well as we'd like.
            HCGM has been quoted as saying Garrett has lost some confidence on more than one occasion.

It has been stated on this forum (multiple times) that GS is too slow to guard the more athletic posts, and while that is true, there are some things he can do to make that less of an impact...foot work, upper body strength, etc. If Stutz is more confident and continues to work on his foot work, there is no reason that he can't still be a dominant force in the MVC. I thought it would be this year, but it might have to be next. Hopefully he and EO get there before their careers at WSU are over.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh
              Oh, crap - now we're going to have all the coaches on ShockerNet telling us what Marshall should have done.
              Oh crap, good thing you talk to him frequently so you can pass on the message. Nevermind, I forgot he, the players, their families, our recruits, and Marshall's mother all check SN on a regular basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan
                Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                HCGM has been quoted as saying Garrett has lost some confidence on more than one occasion.

It has been stated on this forum (multiple times) that GS is too slow to guard the more athletic posts, and while that is true, there are some things he can do to make that less of an impact...foot work, upper body strength, etc. If Stutz is more confident and continues to work on his foot work, there is no reason that he can't still be a dominant force in the MVC. I thought it would be this year, but it might have to be next. Hopefully he and EO get there before their careers at WSU are over.
                I would certainly be put in the "multiple times" category. Look, I think GS has something to bring to the table. He just isn't the great player he was advertised however. I'm ok with that because he still can do enough to help this team be successful. But at this stage in his development to still believe he can be "dominate" is a pipe dream. He can, and has, worked with Kerry Rosembloom on foot work & upper body strength. He has made some progress in about two-and-a-half years. He is not capable, IMO, to make the kind of progress in the next year to be dominate as a senior. I will take my chances with him in matchups that give him a chance to be successful, but today's college game has just too many post players that are big, athletic & quick...not a recipe for Garrett to be successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC
                  Originally posted by wufan

I would certainly be put in the "multiple times" category. Look, I think GS has something to bring to the table. He just isn't the great player he was advertised however. I'm ok with that because he still can do enough to help this team be successful. But at this stage in his development to still believe he can be "dominate" is a pipe dream. He can, and has, worked with Kerry Rosembloom on foot work & upper body strength. He has made some progress in about two-and-a-half years. He is not capable, IMO, to make the kind of progress in the next year to be dominate as a senior. I will take my chances with him in matchups that give him a chance to be successful, but today's college game has just too many post players that are big, athletic & quick...not a recipe for Garrett to be successful.
                  I would book mark this but I'm too lazy to play the gotchya game. Do you really think GS is going to remain satisfied with the current status of his game and physical state? He doesn't seem like that type to me. The basketball skills are still there. He can handle w/ his right and left, he can shoot around the basket w/ his right or left, he can step out and hit the mid range to 3 point shot, he's a decent passer, and I don't think his D is as deficient as you think. Like someone said in another thread, the difference between him having a good game and a discouraging game might be just making a few of the little bunnies he's had trouble nailing this year. Confidence can not be underestimated and GS got off to a slow start of this year by missing short shots, free throws, and being called for ridiculous fouls which all contributed to deflating his confidence. Let's see if he can string together some positive performances on the heels of Saturday's solid outing.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye
                    Originally posted by SHOXMVC

I would book mark this but I'm too lazy to play the gotchya game. Do you really think GS is going to remain satisfied with the current status of his game and physical state? He doesn't seem like that type to me. The basketball skills are still there. He can handle w/ his right and left, he can shoot around the basket w/ his right or left, he can step out and hit the mid range to 3 point shot, he's a decent passer, and I don't think his D is as deficient as you think. Like someone said in another thread, the difference between him having a good game and a discouraging game might be just making a few of the little bunnies he's had trouble nailing this year. Confidence can not be underestimated and GS got off to a slow start of this year by missing short shots, free throws, and being called for ridiculous fouls which all contributed to deflating his confidence. Let's see if he can string together some positive performances on the heels of Saturday's solid outing.
                    Pie -- I'm with you to some degree, I really am. I have nothing against the big fella. He just isn't what was advertised. I don't hold HCGM accountable for that necessarily. Recruiting is not an exact science as we know.

As a junior, with the fan fare he has received, those "bunnies" should be gimmies at this point. He should be savy enough at this point to get the ball in the hole.

Trust me, I will not be offended for you to revisit this issue with me in a year and tell me I was dead wrong...and I hope it happens. All I ask is that you let me eat my crow with either salsa, or BBQ sauce.

No, Garrett is and will not stay satisfied with his game. I assume he will work very hard. Yes, skills are already there that makes him a good contributor to this team. His D is efficient when he matches up with players like Garrett Green. He is short of worthless when a post such as Alex Oriakhi of UConn, Mike Scott of Virginia, Billy White & Malcolm Thomas of SDSU are in front of him. Watching him play against athletic & quick big-men makes you think his sneakers are filled with cement. If his ability to move his feet to cover these players, or make offensive moves against these players hasn't reared its head by now, it won't mysteriously show up by his senior year IMO. The reason he fouls is he can't control those big slow feet of his...nothing more...nothing less. We should recognize these limitations and move on...that's all. IMO he will favorably matchup to Egolf of Bradley, maybe Echenique of Creighton, VanDeest of Drake, van Tongeren of E-puke, Creekmore of MSU, O'rear of UNI and maybe Teague of SIU. That is the majority of the Valley. In other words, I expect Garrett to play well & contribute in many areas during the conference schedule. Why? He will be playing against players of his similar speed & quickness.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC
                      Originally posted by pie n eye
                      Originally posted by SHOXMVC

Pie -- I'm with you to some degree, I really am. I have nothing against the big fella. He just isn't what was advertised. I don't hold HCGM accountable for that necessarily. Recruiting is not an exact science as we know.

As a junior, with the fan fare he has received, those "bunnies" should be gimmies at this point. He should be savy enough at this point to get the ball in the hole.

Trust me, I will not be offended for you to revisit this issue with me in a year and tell me I was dead wrong...and I hope it happens. All I ask is that you let me eat my crow with either salsa, or BBQ sauce.

No, Garrett is and will not stay satisfied with his game. I assume he will work very hard. Yes, skills are already there that makes him a good contributor to this team. His D is efficient when he matches up with players like Garrett Green. He is short of worthless when a post such as Alex Oriakhi of UConn, Mike Scott of Virginia, Billy White & Malcolm Thomas of SDSU are in front of him. Watching him play against athletic & quick big-men makes you think his sneakers are filled with cement. If his ability to move his feet to cover these players, or make offensive moves against these players hasn't reared its head by now, it won't mysteriously show up by his senior year IMO. The reason he fouls is he can't control those big slow feet of his...nothing more...nothing less. We should recognize these limitations and move on...that's all. IMO he will favorably matchup to Egolf of Bradley, maybe Echenique of Creighton, VanDeest of Drake, van Tongeren of E-puke, Creekmore of MSU, O'rear of UNI and maybe Teague of SIU. That is the majority of the Valley. In other words, I expect Garrett to play well & contribute in many areas during the conference schedule. Why? He will be playing against players of his similar speed & quickness.
                      Paul Miller really blossomed after attending the famous big man camp. Hopefully Stutz can find something similar and progress his game.

Comment

• That would be ideal. I am in the camp of Stutz will be a force before he leaves, but SHOXMVC is right. His feet are in slow motion. That has to be resolved or he remains as only a servicable center.

Shox, you mentioned Greg Echineque as someone GS might excell against. GE is actually REALLY quick. That is what makes him dangerous is his foot speed at that size. Others you mention might be a better fit for Stutz. Not sure about Teague and ORear, and VanDeest is really what I want Stutz to become.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan
                          That would be ideal. I am in the camp of Stutz will be a force before he leaves, but SHOXMVC is right. His feet are in slow motion. That has to be resolved or he remains as only a servicable center.

Shox, you mentioned Greg Echineque as someone GS might excell against. GE is actually REALLY quick. That is what makes him dangerous is his foot speed at that size. Others you mention might be a better fit for Stutz. Not sure about Teague and ORear, and VanDeest is really what I want Stutz to become.
                          My appologies. I should actually see someone play before I comment on them. Thanks for your take. BTW is Echineque somewhat like Anthony Tolliver?

Comment

• I don't think he is anything like Tolliver.

He reminds me of John Smith, if anyone can remember the early 90s, but not as good leaping ability (not that it is bad).

Maybe a John Smith in a bit more of an Charles Barkley/Orson Wells body.

Comment

Working...
                            X