It is time to start winning though.
    :good: :good: :clap: :clap:
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
      Originally posted by SHOXMVC
      It's a pretty good incremental step for HCGM's vision.

HCGM is nowhere near ready for the next incremental step. He needs to be (and I believe is rightfully so) concerned with where he is right now.
      I am very proud of the manner in which he is bringing fine student athletes into the University and holding them to a high standard.

All I can say to that is WOW!!! Unless I have missed the boat on what incremental is, WSU is in line and on track to win the MVC regular season and hopefully the MVC tourny. That certainly isn't incremental...huh? Are you serious!!! i guess perception is in the eye of the beholder. I certainly don't claim to know HCGM very well at all, however being "concerned" about taking steps forward with this team I don't think he is. YES, he is disappointed he didn't win one or both the UConn & SDSU games. I would like to think he is a realist. No, he isn't "CONCERNED."

:wsu_posters:

Comment

HCGM is nowhere near ready for the next incremental step. He needs to be (and I believe is rightfully so) concerned with where he is right now.
        I am very proud of the manner in which he is bringing fine student athletes into the University and holding them to a high standard.

All I can say to that is WOW!!! Unless I have missed the boat on what incremental is, WSU is in line and on track to win the MVC regular season and hopefully the MVC tourny. That certainly isn't incremental...huh? Are you serious!!! i guess perception is in the eye of the beholder. I certainly don't claim to know HCGM very well at all, however being "concerned" about taking steps forward with this team I don't think he is. YES, he is disappointed he didn't win one or both the UConn & SDSU games. I would like to think he is a realist. No, he isn't "CONCERNED."

Wow!?

Some people are going to think we swapped personalities.

Why are we "on track" to the win the MVC? You can't point to one thing on the court that says we're going to win a bunch of road games necessary to become a champion.

Don't we "hopefully" go into the Valley tourney every year? Is that hope a reason for advancement?

Look, I love Gregg and his family and I am PROUD of the job he has done here and hope he stays forever. He's a good fit in Wichita. The quality of student athlete and expectations of how they handle themselves is higher than I can remember in 30 years.

All I am saying is that there is work to be done and lessons to be learned, and they aren't isolated, for there to be a next step, however "incremental" you want to define it.

We're 3 years in it here, and there isn't much to hang your hat on except potential.

And I for one am sick of potential.

Comment

I am with you Doc. You always have potential, always, but if you don't turn that potential into reality then you are just a paper-tiger with no real bite.

It's the fourth year, and time to do something that we can hang our hat on, as Doc would say.

And I have found (in another sport) that losing does nothing for you unless there is something that pi**es you off about it to give you that determination for it not to happen again. Losing can be like a disease, and hang around if you don't get over it quick.

This team has the potential to win the Valley, but will they? They have to advance as a team before that will happen. They got their butts spanked in San Diego.

Comment

Wow!?

Some people are going to think we swapped personalities.

Why are we "on track" to the win the MVC? You can't point to one thing on the court that says we're going to win a bunch of road games necessary to become a champion.

Don't we "hopefully" go into the Valley tourney every year? Is that hope a reason for advancement?

Look, I love Gregg and his family and I am PROUD of the job he has done here and hope he stays forever. He's a good fit in Wichita. The quality of student athlete and expectations of how they handle themselves is higher than I can remember in 30 years.

All I am saying is that there is work to be done and lessons to be learned, and they aren't isolated, for there to be a next step, however "incremental" you want to define it.

We're 3 years in it here, and there isn't much to hang your hat on except potential.

And I for one am sick of potential.
            WOW x infinity!!!

Talk about personalities. I could do a clinical study just in your most recent post. You go from doom & gloom to how much you like Gregg & how proud you are of the job he has done & hope he stays forever. You want to keep a coach that in your opinion hasn't done anything in the last 3 years to hang his hat on.

We are in line & on track because we have, to this point, won every game we were supposed to. That could be construed very easily as being in line and on track. We, of course, haven't started the Valley schedule yet but I am far from being alone in observing how weak the league is this year. We do not have any injuries to this point that will derail us. Yes, we are in line & on track as of December 8, 2010.

Alot of basketball to be played, but there has been not one thing drastically out of line, at least from my 30,000 foot perspective, that would prevent us from meeting the reasonable expectations of progressing through the goals of the season and go dancing in March.

I feel better...now I can finish by Koolaid and get back to work.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
              Yes, now is the portion of our schedule we should get a good flow of wins. But what will you guys say after we run off a 7 game win streak against Nicholls State, Alabama A&M, LSU, Tulsa, Evansville, Bradley, and Drake? And those are just the games I feel comfortable in trusting my crystal ball.

Nevermind, I see it already. The competition wasn't good enough. Because wins only matter if they're won on the road against top 25 teams or on neutral courts against "BCS" teams(assuming they're not having a down year).

If I remember correctly, a couple of people on the "we're not winning enough" side of this thread both predicted losses (a BIG loss) against SDSU as far back as their game against Gonzaga. Well, the game met your expectations. Why the overwhelming negativity if you expected to lose the game?

And why are people only focusing on the two games we lost? What about our win against a Virginia team who has beat two top 25 teams since?

Oh that's right, Newman could've gone to Minnesota and beat them at home. And Virginia Tech isn't even ranked anymore so they automatically suck. Nevermind that VT's losses are @ KState, UNLV, and Purdue(in OT). Good teams don't lose games to top 25 competition.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye
                Yes, now is the portion of our schedule we should get a good flow of wins. But what will you guys say after we run off a 7 game win streak against Nicholls State, Alabama A&M, LSU, Tulsa, Evansville, Bradley, and Drake? And those are just the games I feel comfortable in trusting my crystal ball.

Nevermind, I see it already. The competition wasn't good enough. Because wins only matter if they're won on the road against top 25 teams or on neutral courts against "BCS" teams(assuming they're not having a down year).

If I remember correctly, a couple of people on the "we're not winning enough" side of this thread both predicted losses (a BIG loss) against SDSU as far back as their game against Gonzaga. Well, the game met your expectations. Why the overwhelming negativity if you expected to lose the game?

And why are people only focusing on the two games we lost? What about our win against a Virginia team who has beat two top 25 teams since?

Oh that's right, Newman could've gone to Minnesota and beat them at home. And Virginia Tech isn't even ranked anymore so they automatically suck. Nevermind that VT's losses are @ KState, UNLV, and Purdue(in OT). Good teams don't lose games to top 25 competition.
                I don't think it's the loss as much as it is how we lost. Total loss of composure cost us a chance in that game and that doesn't sit well with a lot of people
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

WOW x infinity!!!

Talk about personalities. I could do a clinical study just in your most recent post. You go from doom & gloom to how much you like Gregg & how proud you are of the job he has done & hope he stays forever. You want to keep a coach that in your opinion hasn't done anything in the last 3 years to hang his hat on.

We are in line & on track because we have, to this point, won every game we were supposed to. That could be construed very easily as being in line and on track. We, of course, haven't started the Valley schedule yet but I am far from being alone in observing how weak the league is this year. We do not have any injuries to this point that will derail us. Yes, we are in line & on track as of December 8, 2010.

Alot of basketball to be played, but there has been not one thing drastically out of line, at least from my 30,000 foot perspective, that would prevent us from meeting the reasonable expectations of progressing through the goals of the season and go dancing in March.

Let me clarify just a bit. I may have misconstrued your comment about incremental jumps. I thought you were referring to HCGM's potential next job, and that's what I was commenting on.

But to point, I can be proud of the position and obtained goals of HCGM in some aspects and less than thrilled in others. I don't see the problem with that.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with high expectations. I don't expect that we compete for a National Championship this season. I do expect that we prepare to win each game, and I do expect that we not meltdown like a team that hasn't won a decent road game in 4 seasons (which we haven't).

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22

I don't think it's the loss as much as it is how we lost. Total loss of composure cost us a chance in that game and that doesn't sit well with a lot of people
                    And it does not sit well with me, either. I was just as disappointed in the way they folded during a 4 minute stretch in that game. We battled well in the first half and came out looking even better at the beginning of the second half only to see our chances at a win disappear during a handful of amateur possessions.

If we were disappointed by it, I can only imagine how well the players digested the game film.

Comment

WOW x infinity!!!

Let me clarify just a bit. I may have misconstrued your comment about incremental jumps. I thought you were referring to HCGM's potential next job, and that's what I was commenting on.

But to point, I can be proud of the position and obtained goals of HCGM in some aspects and less than thrilled in others. I don't see the problem with that.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with high expectations. I don't expect that we compete for a National Championship this season. I do expect that we prepare to win each game, and I do expect that we not meltdown like a team that hasn't won a decent road game in 4 seasons (which we haven't).
                      Doc, my appologies. I looked back and saw a possibility of how you might take my ramblings in a different light than what it was intended. It is probably good I didn't go into print journalism rather than the electronic variety.

I, along with you, have high expectations. I believe HCGM did his absolute best to prepare this team to win in San Diego. Yes, for about 4 minutes WSU was terrible, which led to the ultimate loss against a top-15 team. I can say from experience, there are some days I prepare for success, when the moment happens that just dismantles the result I was expecting. Give the A-techs some credit...that's what top-15 teams do in the moment.

Like you, I don't expect the shocks to win the National Championship, or even be a top-20 team. My hope and realistic expectation is they wander around about the top-35ish. I believe they can win out the noncon (although LSU is no gimmie). My prediction is 15-16 wins in conference, which will comfortably win the Valley, and get at least to March 6 in STL. That should get a 9-11 seed in the dance. Win at least one game in March Madness and that is a very nice incremental step. It certainly won't be a cake walk, but a realistice expectation IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22

This.

I wasn't expecting wins, but I sure would like to be surprised for once. For as bad the Valley has performed, it really lessens our chances for an at-large bid if we screw up, which is likely to happen at least once.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                        X