Relax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22
    How about we protect our home court and then win in Normal, Omaha, Frostbite Falls, Springfield, Peoria, Evansville, Terre Haute, Des Moines, Carbondale, Bossier City and STL x3?
    I'm no Fran Fraschilla, but that might get us to the dance.

8)

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh
      Originally posted by SubGod22
      and STL x3?
      I'm no Fran Fraschilla, but that might get us to the dance.

8)
      Na, we'd still be on the bubble. :D
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

There are a lot of good posts and thoughts and opinions being thrown around in this thread. At least on one side. I don't understand those who are upset about losing on the road to a legitimate top 15 SDSU team. Yes, the 3 minute meltdown was hard to watch and something that a veteran team like ours should not have let happen, but it did. As long as we learn from it and use it as motivation for the rest of the season we'll be fine.

Marquee wins against great teams at the beginning of the season are fun for the team and insecure bandwagon fans and annoying talking heads at ESPN. Marquee wins at the end of the season are what we really want. No one will care what happened in San Diego or Maui if we're still playing in the second weekend of the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
          The thing with 2006 was that our conference games were actually helping our RPI. That's not gonna be the case this year. Please, I beg of no more 2006 to 2010-11 resume comparisons. Winning the league in '06 is totally different than winning the league in '11.. and that's assuming we win the thing.

There are plenty of teams in far worse conferences who go 16-2 or 15-3 in their leagues, have gaudy records, but get denied because they are in fairly weak conferences (Valley this year) and have no marquee wins (us likely this year). It's simple to understand.

Besides, how confident are you in this team right now running through the entire season without a questionable loss? Not I.
          "Not I" said the little red hen.

If I recall correctly, we lost to EU at Evansville and barely beat them in Wichita.

We had a much better team than the Aces and we d*mn near went 0-2 against them.
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Born2Shock
            Agreed. Still doesnt mean the sky is falling for the team. Alot of basketball left to be played.
            Agree that there is a lot of ball to be played. It's just our opportunities to make big statements to the college basketball world are down to about zero.
            I have to disagree with this. I think the biggest statements are made in March when not only the college basketball world but the entire country is paying attention to NCAA March Madness. Right now you've got NFL, College Football(what a joke), and NBA on the radar above our beloved college game.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
              Of course one should relax.

Enjoy the crappy Valley schedule, the awful home schedule and pray that we win in St. Louis, where we've just been dynamite the last 20 years, so we can lose in the first round of the NCAAs.

Sounds like a plan to me.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:
              Enjoy the crappy Valley schedule - with pleasure.

The awful home schedule - I only have to worry about 2* more home games before the crappy Valley schedule starts sooo, can do.

Pray that we win in St. Louis - I've been going to St. Louis for the past 6 years and last year was the first time I've ever stayed until Sunday. We have a better team this year and the Valley, outside of us and MSU, is down. Maybe I just need to get a few more years under before I can fully appreciate your bleak outlook.

So we can lose in the first round of the NCAAs - Hey, we've got to start somewhere(again). Good teams go down every year in the first round because, *gasp*, they're playing teams just as good who don't want to stop playing either. I'm a little more optimistic, but I'll wait to see who we play before predicting anything. But then I can't see the future like you and some of the others on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye

Enjoy the crappy Valley schedule, the awful home schedule and pray that we win in St. Louis, where we've just been dynamite the last 20 years, so we can lose in the first round of the NCAAs.

The awful home schedule - I only have to worry about 2* more home games before the crappy Valley schedule starts sooo, can do.

Pray that we win in St. Louis - I've been going to St. Louis for the past 6 years and last year was the first time I've ever stayed until Sunday. We have a better team this year and the Valley, outside of us and MSU, is down. Maybe I just need to get a few more years under before I can fully appreciate your bleak outlook.

So we can lose in the first round of the NCAAs - Hey, we've got to start somewhere(again). Good teams go down every year in the first round because, *gasp*, they're playing teams just as good who don't want to stop playing either. I'm a little more optimistic, but I'll wait to see who we play before predicting anything. But then I can't see the future like you and some of the others on this forum.
                I'm beginning to wonder what is up with Wu. He and I are starting to look like two sides of the same coin - perhaps? Naahhhh

Anyway, what he and I are saying is true. Let's just evaluate the last 20 years of this program real quick. ONE damn NCAA appearance and how many MVC tournament victories? He's a fan, I'm a fan, you're a fan but at some point it is okay to question what has this program done to satisfy its fanbase?

For a program who relies heavily from the community and its supporters to keep up with the Jones' it is a fair question for its supporters to ask for something in return - a consistent winner and NCAA tournament participant. I said it before and I'll say it again. We play in a crap conference but have arguably the finest facilities, coaching and support but for the past 20 years have nothing to show for in terms of regular or tournament championships.

How do small programs like Drake and UNI who are located in more obscure locales than we are win championships before we do and more often? It is a valid question as how this is possible from programs who are inferior to ours in terms of facilities and fan support.

I'll continue to cheer the Shox but all the while continue to question as to when the light bulb will turn on for this program.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox

I'm beginning to wonder what is up with Wu. He and I are starting to look like two sides of the same coin - perhaps? Naahhhh

Anyway, what he and I are saying is true. Let's just evaluate the last 20 years of this program real quick. ONE damn NCAA appearance and how many MVC tournament victories? He's a fan, I'm a fan, you're a fan but at some point it is okay to question what has this program done to satisfy its fanbase?

For a program who relies heavily from the community and its supporters to keep up with the Jones' it is a fair question for its supporters to ask for something in return - a consistent winner and NCAA tournament participant. I said it before and I'll say it again. We play in a crap conference but have arguably the finest facilities, coaching and support but for the past 20 years have nothing to show for in terms of regular or tournament championships.

How do small programs like Drake and UNI who are located in more obscure locales than we are win championships before we do and more often? It is a valid question as how this is possible from programs who are inferior to ours in terms of facilities and fan support.

I'll continue to cheer the Shox but all the while continue to question as to when the light bulb will turn on for this program.
                  IMO, the light bulb turned on the day a certain someone named Jim Schaus was hired as AD. Having seen way too many games during the 90s, it's obvious that what we have today is vastly improved, and our chances are good this year in both the regular season and conference tourney. Anyone who can't see this is still in the dark.

Comment

RDR is correct. Our match-up with Evansville last year was atrocious and we barely escaped with a win with them at 21st and Hillside. Yes, the Valley is down. However, by the time the Valley rolls around, everybody will understand what everybody else is doing. Our beloved Shocks take care of buswax at home su-weet home. The following is where the rubber meets the road::~~``$#%!!! "The Shocks to be--or not to be a formidable Valley road team? Now THAT is the question." Stay tuned.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I have been a fan since the early 70's. My Mom & Dad have had season tickets since 1968 (my Dad has passed and although I certainly haven't replaced my Dad, I go with my Mother to the games in his place). I will never forget in about 1973 or 74, like every game my Mom & Dad were at the game and I was at home listening to Gus call the games on the radio. We played Drake and as we led my one with just seconds on the clock, a Bulldog player dribbled near half court and desperately launched a shot from half court that went in. Gus called the shot after the buzzer, but the officials counted it any way. Because Gus said the shot was late I took it for gospel. I was just waiting for the officials to change their call because Gus said the shot was late and when they didn't I cried til my parents got home. I just knew the officials had cheated us. I was so upset.

My point is I have learned to deal with the constant disappointment our Shockers have delivered over the last, almost, 40 years. Again I have said it time & time again, we aren't entitled to anything. It's like some posters believe we are the fans of the only team in the country that believes they should win over the nations top teams. And when we don't there is such critical judgement. Just becasue our fans want wins vs. UConn & SDSU doesn't mean it will happen. And when it doesn't the Debbie Downers start throwing rocks from their glass house. This season has gone just like about 95% of reasonable people thought it would. some of us should grab a brown paper bag and breath into it and stop hyperventalating. The season is going as reasonabley planned. Let's enjoy the ride of a team that can reasonably say it is one of the best 35 teams in college basketball. It's a pretty good incremental step for HCGM's vision.

Comment

Well let's see--there were the Stallworth years, then A. Carr, Good News, and X, then the Sweet 16. In between many of these years were some good times and tough times. Through it all, we Shocker fans continue to be passionate Shocker followers through the good and bad times. We have our fair share of paying fans at our home games which makes me happy and we win most of those games now which is a bonus.

Right now, I know we will have some setbacks along the way. Even so, I really like Coach Marshall and we have been moving forward since his arrival. He is quite an apt recruiter, a class act, surrounded by solid Assistant Coaches, and I am very pleased that he is our Head Coach.
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Born2Shock
                          Agreed. Still doesnt mean the sky is falling for the team. Alot of basketball left to be played.
                          Agree that there is a lot of ball to be played. It's just our opportunities to make big statements to the college basketball world are down to about zero.
                          I have to disagree with this. I think the biggest statements are made in March when not only the college basketball world but the entire country is paying attention to NCAA March Madness. Right now you've got NFL, College Football(what a joke), and NBA on the radar above our beloved college game.
                          We won't be playing in March if we don't take advantage of opportunities in November and December.

Are you saying if we won games over UConn and SDSU, the NCAA should discount them because they were played earlier in the year?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                            You had me at UNI but you lost me at Drake. They don't win more championships than us. Minus their 2008 fluke, they may be the worst overall program in the league over the last 20-30 years.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                              Well let's see--there were the Stallworth years, then A. Carr, Good News, and X, then the Sweet 16. In between many of these years were some good times and tough times. Through it all, we Shocker fans continue to be passionate Shocker followers through the good and bad times. We have our fair share of paying fans at our home games which makes me happy and we win most of those games now which is a bonus.

Right now, I know we will have some setbacks along the way. Even so, I really like Coach Marshall and we have been moving forward since his arrival. He is quite an apt recruiter, a class act, surrounded by solid Assistant Coaches, and I am very pleased that he is our Head Coach.
                              Stallworth was before the time period I was talking about. You are right about the handfull or so of years during with past 40 years we were good, but I was generalizing. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. I certainly need it from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC
                                It's a pretty good incremental step for HCGM's vision.

HCGM is nowhere near ready for the next incremental step. He needs to be (and I believe is rightfully so) concerned with where he is right now.

I am very proud of the manner in which he is bringing fine student athletes into the University and holding them to a high standard.

It is time to start winning though.

Comment

Working...
                                X