No announcement yet.

Relax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also think that if we had not lost to Drake and Evansville last year, and everything else remained the same, we would have been in. Considering we probably don't have any "marquee" wins to put in our resume the rest of the way, now avoiding bad losses is key. That was one huge element of 2005-06 - we did not lose to anyone we shouldn't have. Yes, the at-large road is tougher than in 05-06, but we certainly can't afford to step on our willies at all this year.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand
      we certainly can't afford to step on our willies at all this year.
      Yikes, that can be quite painful... :D
      SFL is back!

Comment

Originally posted by SFL
        Originally posted by ShockBand
        we certainly can't afford to step on our willies at all this year.
        Yikes, that can be quite painful... :D
        What's painful is that Garrett is the only one who tries to go up strong to the basket in the pain but just can't get it done. Our big, strong posts like JT and Gabe fade away from contact more often than not. You guys want this team to draw more fouls and shoot more FTs? Those two need to man up and be strong to the basket and stop avoiding so much contact.

Also, JT can stop shooting long jump shots with more than 30 seconds on the shot clock. Especially if he isn't the one who is setup to shoot the shot and is trying to force something that isn't there. Mixing in a little D would be nice as well.

Losing to SDSU isn't bad. How we lost is very discouraging. We gave that game away with bonehead plays and poor D. I'm certain this won't be a continuing problem. We will continue to get better and we'll be fine.

We are lacking a leader. And that's sad. And that will keep us from reaching the levels this teams should be capable of.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The thing I really don't get about most fans of a particular school is that they get so wrapped up in the 'vacuum effect'. There are so many other variables in college athletics that determining your postseason fate upon the result of one game is nonsense.

Was the game at SDSU an awesome opportunity to gain some respect, and put some stripes on our resume with a win? Of course. Does the loss mean we're doomed to the NIT? Emphatic 'NO'.

Believe it or not, just playing in the Maui Tournament probably did more for our resume than the loss to SDSU. You have to factor in the human element that there's no possible way for those that have a say in at-large selection of teams to the NCAA tournament cannot possibly watch each and every team each and every game. They're going to rely on others, what they've seen and heard, who's getting votes, and also the national and regional pundits.

Comment

The point about Michigan State is well put, but as I recall Paul Miller had one monster half in that game and PJ was putting on a show against guys much bigger than he.

Kyles was a man among boys when he was on the floor. Durley certainly had his way when he decided to have his way and when he was on the floor. The game is over. It was what it was.

If you're going to lose a game like this, this is the time to do it. Lots of games left to play. And we have a team this year we could only dream about in 2007/2008.

:goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks:
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock
              The point about Michigan State is well put, but as I recall Paul Miller had one monster half in that game and PJ was putting on a show against guys much bigger than he.

Kyles was a man among boys when he was on the floor. Durley certainly had his way when he decided to have his way and when he was on the floor. The game is over. It was what it was.

If you're going to lose a game like this, this is the time to do it. Lots of games left to play. And we have a team this year we could only dream about in 2007/2008.

+1. We can't all have Brooklyn Decker for our girlfriend. Sometimes Carrie Underwood has to do.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax
                Originally posted by jocoshock

+1. We can't all have Brooklyn Decker for our girlfriend. Sometimes Carrie Underwood has to do.
                ... or we have to settle for Eva Mendes. :innocent:

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

The thing with 2006 was that our conference games were actually helping our RPI. That's not gonna be the case this year. Please, I beg of no more 2006 to 2010-11 resume comparisons. Winning the league in '06 is totally different than winning the league in '11.. and that's assuming we win the thing.

There are plenty of teams in far worse conferences who go 16-2 or 15-3 in their leagues, have gaudy records, but get denied because they are in fairly weak conferences (Valley this year) and have no marquee wins (us likely this year). It's simple to understand.

Besides, how confident are you in this team right now running through the entire season without a questionable loss? Not I.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                    The thing with 2006 was that our conference games were actually helping our RPI. That's not gonna be the case this year. Please, I beg of no more 2006 to 2010-11 resume comparisons. Winning the league in '06 is totally different than winning the league in '11.. and that's assuming we win the thing.

There are plenty of teams in far worse conferences who go 16-2 or 15-3 in their leagues, have gaudy records, but get denied because they are in fairly weak conferences (Valley this year) and have no marquee wins (us likely this year). It's simple to understand.

Besides, how confident are you in this team right now running through the entire season without a questionable loss? Not I.
                    Fev, I totally agree with you in regard to your last sentence. A bad loss has not happened yet and hopefully it won't. Until then, that is what we have to hang our hats on. But about not comparing this team to 06, you can't make that rule. Maybe a poster has a take you haven't thought of yet that makes sense...who knows. And please, if you are going to make the following statement..."There are plenty of teams in far worse conferences who go 16-2 or 15-3 in their leagues, have gaudy records, but get denied because they are in fairly weak conferences (Valley this year) and have no marquee wins (us likely this year). It's simple to understand," I bet you can't come up with many specific cases in these so called weak conferences that has the pre-season hype we have. If you want to talk about simple, here it is...because of our pre-season national hype, if we can consistently stay between 26-40 in the rankings & RPI & not win on March 6 in STL we will have a very good chance at making the dance...weak conference or not.

Comment

I would have loved to see the Shockers beat UConn and San Diego State. That spurt by San Diego State in the second half was hard to watch, but I'm far from down on the Shockers. What I see is constant improvement in their play and depth. I can understand that it might not be as fast as some want, but I believe as strongly as ever that HCGM will get the Shockers where I want them. We didn't beat UConn or San Diego State, but I see improvement on the road as compared to last year. I'm sure the Shockers will win more road games in the Valley than last year.

No I'm not talking about moral victories. It just at 59 years old, I don't get as overly optimistic from a win or as down from a loss. I think I can watch the play and see the upward or downward trend of a team better than when I was younger and tended to get carried away by one game.

Comment

One rule

Cjp had it right -- just avoid bad losses. Last year's team missed the NCAA because of a couple of embarrassments against Valley weaklings, nothing else. If this year's team avoids those lapses they'll be fine. Of course, they could also win in St. Louis, which this year would come as no great surprise either.

It's way too early, but an NCAA 11th seed sounds just fine to me -- a first round game against a #6, who will beatable pretty much by definition, followed by a game against a #3 to move to the round of 16. If someone offered me that for the Shocks right now, I'd take it in a flash. And avoiding bad losses plus performing respectably in St.Louis would probably do it. Adding an MVC tournament championship might actually move the Shocks a little too high (unless it pushed them up to #6 themselves, which seems unlikely).

Comment

Win in Normal and Omaha.

If we do that we're in.
                          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Re: One rule

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                            Cjp had it right -- just avoid bad losses. Last year's team missed the NCAA because of a couple of embarrassments against Valley weaklings, nothing else. If this year's team avoids those lapses they'll be fine. Of course, they could also win in St. Louis, which this year would come as no great surprise either.

It's way too early, but an NCAA 11th seed sounds just fine to me -- a first round game against a #6, who will beatable pretty much by definition, followed by a game against a #3 to move to the round of 16. If someone offered me that for the Shocks right now, I'd take it in a flash. And avoiding bad losses plus performing respectably in St.Louis would probably do it. Adding an MVC tournament championship might actually move the Shocks a little too high (unless it pushed them up to #6 themselves, which seems unlikely).
                            We all have been looking for that breakout win, whether it be a UConn on a neutral court, a ranked mid major in SDSU on the road or an upset run in the MVC tournaments past. They haven't happened. However, we did have a nice late run 2 years ago in the Valley that gave hope. Last year, we finished 2nd in the MVC, which by outsiders, might look as over-achieving from the pre-season expectations.

Now is the time to not under-achieve. I fully expect, as should the coaching staff and players, to win the regular season championship out right and to win the Valley tournament. This is not a goal, but a minimum expectation, particularly given the state of the MVC. Anything else, aside from having several injuries, is a step back and far worse than not beating UConn or SDSU. Such an ending to this season should be considered unacceptable.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1
                              Win in Normal and Omaha.

If we do that we're in.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

How about we protect our home court and then win in Normal, Omaha, Frostbite Falls, Springfield, Peoria, Evansville, Terre Haute, Des Moines, Carbondale, Bossier City and STL x3?
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X