WSU a "major" program - Mark Turgeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU a "major" program - Mark Turgeon

After the KSU FB game on FSM last Saturday I left the TV on that channel while doing other things. The next program was a B12 BB preview of aTm featuring Turgeon, which was pronounced TUR-john through the entire program.

When asked about the move from WSU to aTm, Turgeon described it as a parallel move among programs to a better conference - then said "Wichita State is a major program in a mid-major conference".

I think he got that right. WSU has the facilities, charter flights to away games, recruiting budget, pay scale - pretty much all the amenities of a major program.

Maybe the holes in recruiting were the result of going after players who balked at playing in the MVC.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Turgeon got a few brownie points with me there... maybe I won't use $$$ when I quote his name anymore. Thanks for the quote Mark!

T

...8)

Comment

wow, MT isn't the money grubbing sack of **** I thought he was.

I KID, I KID !

Good job, Marky Mark

Comment

Gotta luv the Turg! :posterwu: 8) 8)
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

MT was a class coach at a class program. Never forget that.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker
            MT was a class coach at a class program. Never forget that.
            MT was a class coach
            :D :D :D

T

...8)

Comment

I knew Cold would enjoy that quote, you are the first person I thought of when I heard that one.

Aargh, check pm.

Comment

Turg is just sucking up, just in case we meet him in the ncaa tourney
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I have always been a fan of MT. That still doesn't make me a fan of how he left WSU.

I listened to that same interview. I thought I heard him say he would have left WSU only for was a Big 12 team (ala aTm). I thought that strange because I wasn't he seriously considering Arkansas at the time the aTm call came? Please correct me if I am wrong (I've been that before).

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21
                    I have always been a fan of MT. That still doesn't make me a fan of how he left WSU.

I listened to that same interview. I thought I heard him say he would have left WSU only for was a Big 12 team (ala aTm). I thought that strange because I wasn't he seriously considering Arkansas at the time the aTm call came? Please correct me if I am wrong (I've been that before).
                    Why is it necessary to review this point one more time?

How should he have left WSU? Give 12 months notice?

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio

Or maybe like every other WSU coach but 2 others ... get fired?

He stayed here longer than most up-and-coming coaches stay at programs on their path to BCS schools. I went to Greensboro and D.C. because of Turg and it had been far too long a wait for me. No grudges here.

--'85.
                      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Buncha BS. He's knows some people here are pissed (rightly or not) and is trying to stroke his way back into good graces. Throw your bone elsewhere! I understand what he accomplished here, and I appreciate it, but NO HELL NO I don't like the way he left and I hope Bowles flunks out!

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                          Originally posted by Shox21

Ricky, let me be completely clear about this. It was not my intention to revisit anything. I simply made a statement. 12 months notice -- of course not. I'm not talking about his leaving, but the state he left the program in. It was the best time for him to leave, it just didn't seem to be the best time for WSU. Obviously, that worked out well for us with the additional of Coach Marshall and his staff.

What I WAS commenting on was what seemed to be an inconsistency in his position during the interview when he said he would only leave for a Big 12 team, and yet I thought he was seriously considering Arkansas at the time. I just wondered if I had misunderstood or misheard his comment.

I think I have always been respectful of Coach Turgeon's decision to leave. Every coach has a right to change positions, whatever his reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                            Buncha BS. He's knows some people here are pissed (rightly or not) and is trying to stroke his way back into good graces. Throw your bone elsewhere! I understand what he accomplished here, and I appreciate it, but NO HELL NO I don't like the way he left and I hope Bowles flunks out!
                            Why would he want or need for that matter to get back in our good graces? I think it was an honest statement and actually was a little humiliating from an A&M fan's perspective ("just another stop in my coaching career", "parallel move").

These words were very kind and uplifting and he certainly didn't have to say them.

T

...8)

Comment

That's right. He is makiing quotes so that people on SN won't be mad at him. That has to be right. He is constantly thinking about what we think about him. What else would be on his mind?

Comment

Working...
                              X