Be patient with Coach Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be patient with Coach Marshall

His style of basketball is somewhat unique and very cerebral. I posted on here last year when GM announced he was coming to WSU that there would be a definite transition period. His style of play demands discipline and toughness...mental and physical. The offensive sets are complex and it will take some time for your players to feel comfortable. Also, the defense demands a lot of your players physically. You will either lose a lot of carry over players who do not want (or are not man enough) to get on board with the new scheme, or you will see a lot of new recruits get playing time early on. But trust me, it works and it does more than just build a winning team, it builds a winning program. I know that we are only 3 games into our season, but with 7 new players and a new coach on the roster, we are still exhibiting the mental/physical discipline and toughness to pull out close games against seemingly superior opponents.

Thanks for the encouragment, Gregg will get this thing turned around as like you said it will take time. We will be routing for you guys tonight when you play Baylor.
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I am one WSU fan that will be patient with Marshall. Thanks for the input and good luck this season.

Comment

Yeah, good luck Winthrop. Thanks for the words.

Comment

Thanks for the information Winthrop Grad. I have absolutely no doubt that Coach Marshall will be one of the best coaches in Shocker history in the not too distant future, and the building blocks are being constructed for that as we speak. These early losses are to be expected. Any so-called Shocker fan that loses faith in WSU after 3-4 disappointing games is probably not much of a fan anyway. Those people who have followed the Shocks for some time have been through periods of great coaching and terrible coaching, and I think that the current coach--while having lots of work ahead of him, can already be counted among the great ones. Time will tell for sure, but I have no doubt.

Comment

J.S. was the Man for bringing us HCGM. We will have our high's and lows, but the fans of this fine City love our new Coach. We may need patience, and want it right now, but We have the a bright future and extinguished some nuisance Flame today and curbed the Mayo epidemic that plaqued Bradley. Thanks for the Post WG and good luck all year long.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Re: Be patient with Coach Marshall

Originally posted by WinthropGrad
              His style of basketball is somewhat unique and very cerebral. I posted on here last year when GM announced he was coming to WSU that there would be a definite transition period. His style of play demands discipline and toughness...mental and physical. The offensive sets are complex and it will take some time for your players to feel comfortable. Also, the defense demands a lot of your players physically. You will either lose a lot of carry over players who do not want (or are not man enough) to get on board with the new scheme, or you will see a lot of new recruits get playing time early on. But trust me, it works and it does more than just build a winning team, it builds a winning program. I know that we are only 3 games into our season, but with 7 new players and a new coach on the roster, we are still exhibiting the mental/physical discipline and toughness to pull out close games against seemingly superior opponents.
              Thank you for your input and please continue to guide us through the "transition" process. Many of us on here live and breath our Shockers and each head-scratching performance causes fans to jump over the cliff. So consider it your calling to save a few of us from either jumping or embarrassing ourselves by melting down...

GO EAGLES!

GO SHOX!

T

...8)

Comment

GM came to Winthrop right as I was graduating. I was a December Grad (Late not early :D ) and I remember talking to players about the new coach. The one thing they all felt compelled to tell me was that the practices were pure he!!. The conditioning and the scrimmages were more than many could stand. There was a lot of resistance initially from the players. There were even a few who quit the team. But at the end of the season, a team that went 7-22 the previous year won 21 games and made the school's first ever trip to the NCAA tournament. First of 7!

That toughness will rub some kids the wrong way. But it will prepare your players for things bigger than even the MVC. Even this season, our new center was called out by our current coach for not being tough enough. That same kid played the first game of the season with a broken nose! Last night he slammed the back of his head on the court while diving for a loose ball. He was back in the game after just a few minutes of rest. And HE was the one coach had previously called out for being soft.

A great ancillary benefit to GM's style of play will make all of you even prouder. At one point late in GM's stay at Winthrop, it was reported that EVERY player to suit up for the Eagles during GM's tenure had graduated with a 4 year degree. Every single player, even the players who quit or transferred. The discipline he demands carries over to the class room and the community.

It will be a different style of play than what you guys are probably used to. But it will be successful and he will get you there the right way. With kids that play hard and stay out of trouble. You guys have a lot to look forward to.

Comment

WinthropGrad thanks for the encouragement. I do not doubt HCM at all even after the last two losses. How long do you think it will be before Winthrop is in the top 25 this year?

Comment

As I explained in Dr. Wu's panic thread I was an undergrad during the Coen, Thompson years and season ticketholder under Coach Smithson's tenure. I am very patient and will cheer just as loudly this year as in the recent past. I think it will be unusal if we don't have a down season this year with all of the change, particularly the untimeliness (extremely late in the year) of the changes. I do not think M.T. left the cupboard bare, he did some cups with him but that's normal in such transitions.

Go Shocks!!!!
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

WinthropGrad, your timing here is most excellent!

What you said in your first post is exactly what it's looking like here at WSU.

One question . . . Does Peele coach the same basic system as Marshall?

Comment

Lack of patience with GM is not an issue. He has demonstrated success with Winthrop, has already recruited some outstanding players here at WSU, and I have no doubt is a great X and O's coach. The only issue is how well the players are adjusting to the new system and each other. Unfortunately, 4 games into the season it still appears they have a long way to go and fans ususally want results immediately.

Comment

KC, do you ever find yourself hypotized by Carmen Electra's Gyrations?

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                            Lack of patience with GM is not an issue. He has demonstrated success with Winthrop, has already recruited some outstanding players here at WSU, and I have no doubt is a great X and O's coach. The only issue is how well the players are adjusting to the new system and each other. Unfortunately, 4 games into the season it still appears they have a long way to go and fans ususally want results immediately.
                            love the avatar. CANT STOP STARING
                            ________
                            WEB SHOWS
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

I think the thing the helps me curb my desire to have immediate success is reminding myself that Coach Marshall is wanting to build a program--not just one successful season (and I still think the season will be a success--just maybe not as successful as some people might have thought). It's got to be tough for HIM--I'm not sure if it hasn't been a good number of years since he's coached a team that's lost 2 games in a row! Good things will indeed come to those who wait. I am confident that fans won't be disappointed once the 'Marshall-Shox' start hitting on all eight cylinders!

Comment

Working...
                              X