Be patient with Coach Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lemuel777
    WinthropGrad thanks for the encouragement. I do not doubt HCM at all even after the last two losses. How long do you think it will be before Winthrop is in the top 25 this year?
    We received 5 votes in the most recent AP poll. If we beat Baylor tonight and then make a good showing against Mo. State at home next week, we might get close to making it back into the polls.

Comment

I love Winthrop's Jerseys, they look better than most others i've seen

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDorian
        KC, do you ever find yourself hypotized by Carmen Electra's Gyrations?

That's not Carmen Electra...

C'est Alizée:

There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

WinthropGrad,
          What gave you the nerve to come on here and try to calm the masses? Talented individuals on SN have done their best to whip certain gerbils into an absolute froth. It was almost to the point of some jumping off bridges and others doing strange things with prairie dogs. Now, your calming affect will ruin the efforts of many.
          Thank you so much for a voice of reason in the middle of pure chaos. 8)
          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

I predict Shocker Greatness!

Good luck Winthrop! :goshocks: 8) 8)
            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Korchek

C'est Alizée:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceSxEjwXHcM
              Jeff my man! You a Frenchie? How'd you know this was Alizee?

Comment

Sorry KC but she was big on the internet like 3/4 years ago.

in 2007/2008 not so much.

Shes still hot though

Comment

I don't care what year it is, when she is no longer hot, you are dead.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox

C'est Alizée:

The real question is, why doesn't EVERYONE ELSE know about her?

ASM is right that she was pretty big on the interweb a while back, but c'mon, really... there can't ever be a statute of limitations on Alizée.
                    There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

Re: Be patient with Coach Marshall

Originally posted by WinthropGrad
                      His style of basketball is somewhat unique and very cerebral. I posted on here last year when GM announced he was coming to WSU that there would be a definite transition period. His style of play demands discipline and toughness...mental and physical. The offensive sets are complex and it will take some time for your players to feel comfortable. Also, the defense demands a lot of your players physically. You will either lose a lot of carry over players who do not want (or are not man enough) to get on board with the new scheme, or you will see a lot of new recruits get playing time early on. But trust me, it works and it does more than just build a winning team, it builds a winning program. I know that we are only 3 games into our season, but with 7 new players and a new coach on the roster, we are still exhibiting the mental/physical discipline and toughness to pull out close games against seemingly superior opponents.

Good post. Patience is definitely in order this year. GO SHOCKS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox

C'est Alizée:

The real question is, why doesn't EVERYONE ELSE know about her?

ASM is right that she was pretty big on the interweb a while back, but c'mon, really... there can't ever be a statute of limitations on Alizée.
                        agreed

Comment

Wichita State got a very, very, very good coach in Gregg Marshall.
                          Be patient.

Comment

**STATISTIC WARNING** - If you are detail or numerically challenged, just read the next line and then skip down to the last two.

The defense seems to be coming along just fine. The problems with offense will take longer due to the complex and cerebral system.

Statistically speaking, here are some defensive numbers. Keeping in mind that the Shox have not exactly played the greatest competition so far . . .

Shockers 07-08 2-2 Opp FG 39.6% / 3FG 41.5% OPP Scoring 59.8 ppg Reb Margin +7.5 Stl 5.0/g Blk 3.8/g

Winthrop 06-07 29-5 OPP FG 41.1% / 3FG 32.6% OPP Scoring 61.4 ppg Reb Margin +6.6 Stl 7.9/g Blk 3.7/g
                            Winthrop 05-06 26-9 OPP FG 40.1% / 3FG 31.6% OPP Scoring 61.2 ppg Reb Margin +5.5 Stl 9.6/g Blk 3.3/g

In contrast, the Shox under MT:
                            Shockers 06-07 17-14 Opp FG 43.4% / 3FG 33.4% OPP Scoring 64.1 ppg Reb Margin +2.4 Stl 6.1/g Blk 2.9/g
                            Shockers 05-06 26-9 Opp FG 41.1% / 3FG 33.7% OPP Scoring 61.4 ppg Reb Margin +5.6 Stl 5.2/g Blk 1.8/g
                            Shockers 04-05 22-10 Opp FG 42.1% / 3FG 33.8% OPP Scoring 66.6 ppg Reb Margin +6.6 Stl 5.0/g Blk 2.4/g

Notice that our sweet 16 year stats are nearly identical to GM's last two years at Winthrop - except for steals and blocks.

Just for fun, here are last year's #'s for the Valley's defensive power SIU:
                            Salukis 06-07 29-7 Opp FG 41.8% / 3FG 33.7% OPP Scoring 56.2 ppg Reb Margin +1.6 Stl 6.6/g Blk 3.2/g

Notice that Winthrop's defensive #'s were comparable to SIU's except that Winthrop did much better in rebounding, steals and blocks. SIU's opponent scoring advantage over Winthrop is probably attributable to SIU's slower style of play.

With more time in the system and an increasingly athletic team, the future is indeed very bright for the Shox. My main concern with GM is how long we get to keep him.

Comment

Those are some interesting numbers, Ed. However, I think some context needs to be supplied. Over the past two years, WSU has played in the 6th-rated conference (according to RPI) and Winthrop has played in the 19th and 29th-rated conference. That's a pretty significant difference. Enough so that I'm not sure a valid comparison can be made (regarding past seasons).

One thing does stand out to me. So far our opponents have hit an unusually high number of 3-pointers against us. I expect that percentage to fall into the mid-30s fairly soon.

On the other end, I don't expect us to maintain that high of a rebounding advantage once we hit Dec 19, or have that many blocks per game.

Comment

Those are some interesting numbers, Ed. However, I think some context needs to be supplied. Over the past two years, WSU has played in the 6th-rated conference (according to RPI) and Winthrop has played in the 19th and 29th-rated conference. That's a pretty significant difference. Enough so that I'm not sure a valid comparison can be made (regarding past seasons).

One thing does stand out to me. So far our opponents have hit an unusually high number of 3-pointers against us. I expect that percentage to fall into the mid-30s fairly soon.

On the other end, I don't expect us to maintain that high of a rebounding advantage once we hit Dec 19, or have that many blocks per game.
                                True regarding the conference, but you also have to examine Winthrop's excellent non-conference competition. I think our blocks will stay the same or slightly increase once Aubrey and/or EO hit the floor and if PJ continues to play the 2 more often.......

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Comment

Working...
                                X