Be patient with Coach Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal, good points.

A few more things to point out (06-07 Winthrop only - I'm doing manual calculations so just doing 1 yr).

Winthrop non-conference opponents included (Most were on the road with some neutral - none of these were @ home):
    #2 North Carolina Opp FG 52% Reb Mar -19 Stl 6 Blk 1
    Mississippi State Opp FG 38% Reb Mar +3 Stl 10 Blk 5
    @ 24-9 Old Dominion G 36.1% Reb Mar -1 Stl 6 Blk 6
    #24 Maryland Opp FG 51% Reb Mar -1 Stl 9 Blk 1
    #12 Wisconsin Opp FG 46% Reb Mar -18 Stl 6 Blk 1
    #11 Texas A&M Opp FG 53% Reb Mar -6 Stl 7 Blk 3
    #17 NOTRE DAME Opp FG 42% Reb Mar +8 Stl 5 Blk 6
    #12 Oregon Opp FG 48% Reb Mar +8 Stl 7 Blk 3

Avg for these 8 games NONE at home
    Opp FG 45.8% Reb mar -3 Stl 7/g Blk 3/g

Non-conference stats (all stats - conference stats):
    Winthrop 06-07 15-5 OPP FG 42.0% / 3FG 33.0% OPP Scoring 60.6 ppg Reb Margin +5.0 Stl 8.0/g Blk 3.3/g

Yes, they did also have non-conference games with MOUNT ST. MARY'S, PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE, LIMESTONE and the always tough Cobras of VIRGINIA INTERMONT.

In general, their conference numbers were better but their non-conference numbers still show very good defensive numbers. Even in the 8 games against pretty high caliber folks, the steals and blocks are still pretty high.

With regards to blocks, Ramon's 4 blocks so far would tie him for 5th on last year's team for the full year. I'm not going to say our blocks and rebounding margin won't fall from here but I do think there is a good chance that GM's system will lend itself to higher blocks, rebounding, and steals totals than we have had in the past.

Comment

Marshall made up for the lack of competition in the conference with that schedule. They might not have won them all, but they still played very competitively with everyone. The system will work itself out at WSU in the next year and we'll be seeing those numbers against opponents regularly (at least I hope so).

Comment

Working...
      X