A "major commitment"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock
    The blurb in the Eagle didn't do much more than further the speculation. Schaus says there are "no big plans" on the "immediate horizon", but Stutz says he "did not want to say more until WSU makes plans public."

From those comments I think there is something in the works, but it's six months, a year, or two years away from being ready for public consumption.
    I bet we all can come up with some really crazy ideas now. Let's keep a tab of some of the current ideas:

Join another conference
    FSN TV deal
    Buy an airplane for the school

What else have people come up with?

I think I'll go with they got one heckuva surprise for a non-con opponent to play for the next few years. Duke anyone?

Comment

A major commitment that we already have is that men's basketball at Wichita State is the only game in town. I know that I constantly post on shockernet about the possibilities that could present themselves with a football team, but, as long as we don't have one, you can be rest assured that when basketball season starts, Koch Arena will be full, and frothing at the mouth.

I'm sitting here watching Ohio State play Wisc-Green Bay, noticing that the place is half full, and that half is sitting on their hands. This is the team defending an appearance in the national championship game. I know they lost quite a bit of talent, but come on!!! Where is the excitement???

I don't know what the problem is, but the college basketball season (according to the BCS leagues) doesn't start until after January 1.

This is an advantage a school like Wichita State has...and we should take this to the bank. Shocker fans will be there throughout the season, and not just show up halfway through conference play. It's why our non-con schedule is so important for us.

In my opinion, that is a major commitment that not too many have.

Comment

Arranging some away and "neutral" games using the upcoming downtown arena and putting 15K screaming WSU fans in the stands?

I can see how the new arena might make it easier to schedule some "home" and home games if the games aren't played in CKA.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

To me a major commitment to basketball would have to entail some large capital expenditure. So my guess is something would be built, improved (like the arena) or bought (like an airplane).

It could mean a salary increase for a larger coaching staff but that doesn't seem to have much of a splash.

Moving to another conference would be nice but that doesn't seem to have much to do with basketball because any conference worth moving to would require football.

A major commitment and scheduling doesn't seem to make sense. Putting the best schedule together possible is a no-brainer and wouldn't be coined as "a major commitment".

T

...8)

Comment

Football will be resurrected with our new head coach Bill Parcels!
            or our big men will be coached by our new assts AC, Cliff, X and Dave the Rave! :posterwsu: :posterwu: :goshocks: 8)
            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Buying a plane is interesting, but they are not cheap! Seeing how Bombardier Learjet just anted up 1.2 mil for baseball, and how one hand washes the other, the possibility for getting a jet might be on the horizon. But, the needs for recruiting, and the needs for team traveling are different as far as capacity. I think I could see a fractal ownership more than outright owning it.
              Although having WU on our own jet is very enticing.

I do think whatever might be planned is in conjunction to getting us to the next level in Basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11
                Football will be resurrected with our new head coach Bill Parcels!
                or our big men will be coached by our new assts AC, Cliff, X and Dave the Rave! :posterwsu: :posterwu: :goshocks: 8)
                If Coach Parcells will not come to Wichita to pick up a plaque in his honor, I doubt, if he will come here in any football capacity.

I assume you were kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                  Buying a plane is interesting, but they are not cheap! Seeing how Bombardier Learjet just anted up 1.2 mil for baseball, and how one hand washes the other, the possibility for getting a jet might be on the horizon. But, the needs for recruiting, and the needs for team traveling are different as far as capacity. I think I could see a fractal ownership more than outright owning it.

I do think whatever might be planned is in conjunction to getting us to the next level in Basketball.
                  I doubt if WSU could justify even a "fractional ownership " lease on a plane. I don't think it will be a plane.......

Comment

Let's buy some refs!

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks (even though it was baseball related) that the intent of the reference was the Bombardier/Learjet announcement?

Comment

Originally posted by DCShockerFan05
                        Let's buy some refs!
                        Works for SIU and Linebacker ball. Did I ever mention how much I hate those guys? :)

Comment

Originally posted by DCShockerFan05
                          Let's buy some refs!
                          I'm available :D
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by shockall
                            Originally posted by Snapshot9

I doubt if WSU could justify even a "fractional ownership " lease on a plane. I don't think it will be a plane.......

A brand new blimp, thats says "Shockernet home of the greatest fans"
                            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11
                              A brand new blimp, thats says "Shockernet home of the greatest fans"
                              Sorry. Mangino is already at another school coaching another sport.
                              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl

Sorry. Mangino is already at another school coaching another sport.
                                OH BUUUURNNN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X